Splittin' wood tips.. the old fashoned way

Well that's another thing ,hydraulic splitters .People talk about cycle time like it's a big deal .I don't even run mine or Toms' wide open very much .With a detent return it runs as fast as I can shove it in .Now if you had a couple young guys slinging cord wood that might be an issue but with one old coot it really isn't .

I've watched young eager beavers work like a house afire then huff and puff and need to sit down .Just like the old bull that walked through the gate rather than jump the fence I get just as much done at a steady pace .The young have strength the old are cunning and treacherious .;)

Yeah I've got hatchets that big .I could never see what the big deal is with those so called Collins axes either except maybe driving wedges .I mean they are only half a regular axe size just about worthless for much of anything else but then again I'm not on the far coast so I really never used one .

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GsPXOxs__k0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D

That pot licker can splt that hickory faster than I can .Yeah though it would drive a person nuts doing that all day .

Just depends on the situation .Very few if any people in these parts cut short logs like those for firewood plus you'd need a fair sized yard just to maneuver a skid loader.

Then even if you had a large yard you'd about have to have at least a stone base else in short order you'd have a muddy mess .Even with stone constainly turning a skid loader you'd rut it up pretty bad .More to it than just processing fire wood with a skid loader the way I see it .

Mr Bermy splits all our wood, mostly macrocarpa. I had a bad experience many years ago...so I don't like splitting!
We just got the new long handled Fiskars, he's slapped a few big rounds and says it is much better than the old blockbuster...like Reb's.
He had tried the shorter handle Fiskars of our friend and really liked it so we splashed out to get the long handle one the X27
Full firewood time is a way's off so only time will tell.

I hand split w/ maul about Ten Cord per year, after three or four swings if it doesn't pop ... off to the Dinger pile ... where wedge & sledge take over, then if that don't do it it I rip cut it with chainsaw ... super un cooperatives are saved for the annual splitter day

Our bay laurel is the baddest splitting wood there is on the coast. A mere 6 inch round can bounce a maul back in your face and jam a hydraulic splitter to boot. And sometimes it gets even worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have the x25 fiskars. The x27 is 8" longer. Perhaps I need the x27?

Someone tell me I need it so I can justify the purchase..

On the really nasty unsplitable stuff ... make a Swedish Candle*:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lz2zGQ-oVZk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

*might be a Finnish candle or Danish candle ... IDK ... Stig?

Stig calls them Finnish, but they could be Welsh.:laughing6:

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?14618-Swedish-log-candle&highlight=Swedish+Candle

attachment.php

If you want the longer axe just buy it .I'm not familiar with the Fiskars design having never seen one but I like the shape of the head with a rapid taper to it rather than the gradual taper of what most people use .Those types are in my opinion more of a general purpose axe but really the best feller nor the best splitter .

Damned general purpose axe. You can drive them clear to the handle and then stick them .Stuck like a woodpecker with his pecker hung up in a beech tree ,kinda screwed .

I have to cut up a hickory log today that got broken on the fall which I had missed that fact when I hauled it out .The rounds being about 23 inchs will need split before I even attempt to load them which I'll do with an axe .However being down this road a thousand times I always take a sledge and a couple of steel wedges along .

If you hang an axe and beat on the head you'll screw it up .If you thump on the handle you stand a chance of breaking it .So about the easiest way to liberate it is by sinking a wedge or two .

I've got a couple at the house ,the old splitter plus a POS general purpose .I haven't retrieved the ones yet from my dads' garage .There's a splitter plus double bit cruiser I come close to doing myself in with .

I was splitting using a block so as not to ground the axe because the old man would have a had a conipition if I did .Hit a freakin clothes line and luckily the side of the head hit me upside the noggin instead of the edge or else I'd not be typing this post .Nearly knocked me out and brother did my old man chew my butt for that stunt .

Back