17 year old advocate for nuclear energy.

Ok...... so what will we do about the extra co2 in the atmosphere? i should have been more specific....

On that last part i agree, which is why we should be burning biofuels and saving the charcoal to enrich the soil, aka terra preta. But that is literally sequestering carbon in the soil, which would be good for both soil health and removing co2.

No, you are adding carbon directly to the soil in the form of charcoal, which allows it to soak up nutrients better. Charcoal is pure carbon, you add it directly to the soil, and they usually add manure and other wastes to fill it up because charcoal is basically a sponge. The Amazon has large areas of very rich soil, all formed when humans did exactly this process thousands of years ago. The normal soil there is productive at first, but then all the good stuff is leached out of it with the rain, but the charcoal helps it all stay put and fosters microbial growth.

More co2 helps plants grow, but it's in a large enough concentration where it's killing off all sorts of stuff, mainly in the oceans at the moment. Since co2 dissolves in water to form carbonic acid it's actually making the oceans more acidic, and the co2 in the atmosphere is affecting weather patterns enough that it's causing ecological collapse in other areas. Look what's happening to the coral reefs, the glaciers and other cold weather climates, or even the coasts which are now being hit economically by these changing patterns. We're literally in the beginning phases of another mass extinction event because of this, I'm not sure how that can be considered a good thing. What happens when the tundra melts releasing a mind boggling amount of methane which will only amplify the global warming of our planet, because methane traps heat even better than co2? If you wanted to turn this place into Venus you would be hard pressed to figure out a better way to do so.

Volcanoes. Giant phuk all earth pimples. Remember that big one in Iceland a few years back? More carbon, methane, and whatever else you wanna cry about, came squirting out of that with more than five times the volume of all carbon mankind has ever burned.

Kyle, you're a steam fitter
Jim, you're a farmer
Kaveman am not a geologist and neither are either of you.

Years from now, when the stupid political division and fervor calms down, we're gonna find out we were all wrong.

Planet earth has been in constant Flux since its coalescing from myriad particles of space dust aeons ago. Are you so conceited as to think you've unraveled the mysteries?

While these discussions are good, and it's good that they are had, perhaps taking sides, or defending one's point of view so vehemently, isn't the best path forward.

Ok that's cool, but scientists are pretty much universally on one side of this issue, like 99 percent plus. The division and rhetoric is coming from the other side of this issue, and honestly that's really what that side is all about on any other issue as well. It's not a new issue, they've known about this since the 50s, totally confirmed in the 90s, and we're debating it like this is something worth debating as if it will change the facts 30 years later. The only errors of the scientists thus far is that they've been too conservative with their estimates and keep underestimating how bad things really are and how quick it's gonna happen, and so everytime they update their predictions they become more and more apocalyptic. I understand that this is disturbing news, and accepting it challenges some people's view of the world, so cognitive dissonance has to be overcome to accept it, but at some point the rest of the world moves on and starts trying to solve the problem without them. How many more decades will conservatives need to accept scientific findings that make them uncomfortable?

Yes i understand that volcanic activity can do the same thing, which is exactly why Venus is a hellscape. Yes i understand that we can't control volcanos, if we have a few big ones life on earth as we know it will end, and as little mammals that have overrun this planet that means a ton of us will die. But that doesn't mean we can ignore our own influences to the system and just keep living like we have been, it's simply not sustainable. The planet doesn't care either way, 99 percent of the lifeforms it has seen over the years are extinct. But as "intelligent life" we should be smart enough to limit our destruction of our home enough to keep it from destroying us. Many organisms over the years have gone extinct by habitat loss caused by themselves, we're poised to be the most destructive ones since the great oxidation event. I fully expect humans to fail at solving this problem, because honestly we act more like apes than men when asked to help each other solve a seemingly impossible task that isn't an immediate short term threat but rather a slow cooking of the frog type problem. Hell this debate has been going on for pretty much my entire life, and we're exactly where we were when we started.

Does it normally rain in Alaska in December? Even in the Midwest it's impossible to notice that winters are changing, snow is happening much less and the temps are higher throughout the winter. I'm doing underground at work, there's hardly any frost in the ground right now, if any.

it's all over the board here during a southeast Alaska winter Kyle. Might get a boat load of rain one day and a shit ton of snow the next...not very predictable but the weather service has gotten much better about predicting major weather events. We have a fair bit of snow above 2000 foot elevation now but it's been pretty mild at sea level.

View attachment 134447
Another 3-4 inches of rain forecasted with significant winds for Tuesday and Wednesday. Do you think the town residents are on edge?
They should be nervous, anyplace where a landslide has occurred, it will happen again, it's just a matter of time.

When you first posted that photo, I was pretty sure that there's visible slumping on the left side of the slide. Geology class was a while back though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Quote from Kyle, "How many more decades will conservatives need to accept scientific findings that make them uncomfortable?"

Spoken by a true democrat. I'll assume.

Well, I must be damned then. Because I'm a true blue conservative. Still, I cant help but wonder how a democrat's impact on this planet would be any less than a conservative's.

It appears conservatives are born in sin, and doomed to burn in hell.

Damn, I knew I should've switched parties back when Hillary ran. The environment would be so much better.

I have a far bigger impact currently than you do, you're retired, I'm driving to work and back in a dually, using gobs of electricity welding up tons of steel which took tons of energy to make, and building stuff which is designed to use up even more resources and energy. That clearly wasn't even the point, the point was conservatives see anything science says is somehow a giant lie in the furtherance of some vast conspiracy and reject it outright. The reality is that no one cares about if you "believe" in climate change anymore, the world is changing with or without you, 20 years ago it mattered, but it doesn't anymore. No one is gonna like it, but since I'm a democrat (as you pointed out) I'm mature enough to understand that the world must change for the greater good, something conservatives are completely incapable of, likely because they're mostly from the me generation. You are in the minority on this in a very big way, 31 percent of Americans share your views on this, and it's mostly boomers, who are now outnumbered by the younger generations at the polls. The horse is dead, put the sticks down, or don't, because no one cares anymore.

I think most people don't consider all the energy they are consuming in a kind of invisible way. The food we all need is planted, fertilized, harvested, cooled, transported and held in the store for us. Autos consume tons for our transport. Cars are manufactured, tires have to be replaced, as well as other parts. Our houses are built and their shingled roofs have to be replaced every so often. We have to heat or cool them. The stores and places of work have to be built, heated, cooled. Roads and bridges are built and maintained.

My cousin is a firm believer that climate change is a hoax. He was on a Navy ship for years. Talk about a big energy sucker. Oh yeah, all those container ships from China. And the oil tankers. Anyway, he traveled the world to every continent and saw the expanse of humans inhabiting the world. We all consume times billions.

Is there a giant ATM where you can redeem your carbon credits with Mother Nature?

It's outrageous. Sequestration and carbon credits are along the same lines as recycling.

Recycling was never intended to help anything except for Wallstreets bottom line...by encouraging guilt free consumption.

Same thing for the Climate industry.

May as well enact a Sunspot Tax.

Back