"so....hows bizness"

Maybe one customer in 20 is like that. Yesterday I bid a willow tree that had lost a huge limb (18") and trim the rest of the tree. The limb would be around a half a load of chips and wood in my forestry truck and to trim the rest of the tree would have also been about that. I bid it for $800 and the HO called this morning and said the guy who came after me was cheaper. Of my last two customers one was on a govt pension (housing authority) and the other was a construction worker on unemployment.

I hear ya, It seems like the stuff that I have kept to my pricing on this year I end up getting the work.

The stuff I try to get by cutting a little money off of I have been unsuccessfull getting that work signed up.

Slowing up here. :(

Hoping to get some more calls. Gotta couple big fish in the fire and now I'm starting to really hope they pan out.

I'd say more 'new' tree companies this year then had existed last year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
busy.....but damn wet here. pruning is getting pushed back. got a 11k removal job.....16 trees:D

and the other was a construction worker on unemployment.

I have lowered the bid with the understanding that the person would hump brush on that job. Construction worker? Hell, they can hump brush if motivated.
I just hate the lowballers, all they care about is the price

Slowing up here. :(

Hoping to get some more calls. Gotta couple big fish in the fire and now I'm starting to really hope they pan out.

I'd say more 'new' tree companies this year then had existed last year.

Goes to show, you shoulda come down to leggett...

I hear ya, It seems like the stuff that I have kept to my pricing on this year I end up getting the work.

The stuff I try to get by cutting a little money off of I have been unsuccessfull getting that work signed up.

I've had pretty much the opposite experience. The Post Office job I did recently was good money. My daily rate plus 25% and the Army Corps job was the same. I have also had a few jobs for some farmers in my hometown that just want an estimate and tell me to come and do it on a hourly rate. But the private party bids from people that call out of the yellow pages have all been small jobs, they are calling several outfits and going with the low bid.
My bread and butter has been retirees in the Oakdale area, most of whom sold businesses in the Bay Area and retired to Oakdale and they aren't calling. Interest rates have been so low that most of them had all their money in the stock market. That's my theory anyway. There are less than half the tree companies advertising in the county phone book this year than there were last year. In the Oakdale book where I get most of my calls it's still the same three guys that it has always been.

Found out what happened to one of the jobs that got canceled today. Lady canceled us due to her daughter passing away... I guess the SIL needed some time and was out of work so he ended up doing the limbing for the lady (HO). Mixed feelings on that one. She assured me we will be doing the work this winter.......See what happens:/:
And sorry no camera today.... I would have took picks of how not to cut the branch off your oak. Would have been painful for you guys to even see with all the flush cuts, tears and what nots.....:whine:

There was a wind storm in Boise while I was out at the West Coast Climb. When I came back I had over twenty messages on my phone. I have been getting multiple new bid calls every day. This is my busiest spring since I have been in business. I did 6 bids today and got home after 9pm. I haven't edged up prices but I am starting to tighten my work area and am reducing the amount of shrub work we do.

Weve been really busy but my prices have been lower.
But call volume started to go down June 1st and if it does not go back up ill be slow by next friday . Bummer.

A couple good jobs are falling into place for next week, and perhaps a few more for the week after if I can play the cards right. Good timing too.

I just looked at maybe a 50-70K job.

It'll be the biggest I ever bid on.

I'll let you guys know if I get it in about 4 weeks.

Cross your fingers, this could be awesome.

Would you do it yourself or with another Tree Service? Oh and fingers are crossed for you. Good luck.

Gawddamn, Deva - I didn't know you were that big time. What's the job???

Have you said already and I missed it?

Back