"so....hows bizness"

Man you guys must really be hurting out there hugh?? I catch myself wishing I wasnt so freaking busy, but then I remember that Im lucky to have work as some folks dont. I know from experiance that having no work is not like taking time off as you are so worried about money:( Hopefully stuff will turn around for ya soon.

I have promissed the Mrs. that Im not going to work this weekend, just hang with the family....:D

Some one speculated here that because we are always a poor economy up here in the foot hills, we are not feeling it as much. People always do with less here so we don't feel it as much. I kinda think they are right in a way. I see more suffering for business in more populated areas.

we too are used to surviving, but we are losing the smal retailers and trinket shops lately
its slowwww
the job i have this week is worth 6 to 7 g's
im doing it for 4700 plus i keep a log trucks worth of fir.
itll just pay us all for 2 days

The tourist trade is helping our local retail right now. But we will probably lose some and a restaurant or two over the fall or winter. Only thing keeping me busy right now is mandated fire clearance for the most part. If I depended on just tree work we would starve. Granted it pays less than tree work, but like I have said before.... Keeps the doors open and food on the table.

yeah i hear ya cursed
people dont want to do the clearance here, and they definently wont pay for it, unless they HAVE TO
i'm just making it, the trade jobs help, but i need the $ not a bunch of stuff
the father provides, the job today will help out 5 families of my crew so thanks and praise to him otherwise i wouldnt be a ble to pay all my comp , and the damned renewals
to top it off, i'm supposed to be getting an office this next month
i keep prayin and waiting, it 'll come soon enough

Here in NY the economy has been junk for so long it really hasn't impacted us alot.

I got a sweet call this morning also, fellow bought a nice property with gobs of tree work, see if I can land that fish!

We're working on securing a month long job for this September. It's looking good, as the client took an immediate liking to Dad from what I heard.

Other than that, work is looking good here. We just completed a big removal that the client cancelled last March. Plus, a big estate we do a ton of work at is preparing to deadwood almost EVERY tree on their estate. We're thinking a good 1 to 2 weeks of solid tree work at one place, which is AWESOME!:evil:

I have more of a question...

When you guys were starting out, how did you manage keeping employees when you only worked a few days a week at best? I have a really flexible ground guy right now, but he's a dope until about 11:00 every morning because he drinks so much. I'd like to try and find a better ground person, but I feel bad reeling in a worker to only provide a couple hours a week.

I always had good luck with firefighters (oh er sounds funny:lol:) They work 24 on 72 off so are usually available 3-4 days week + fire dept. piss tests:) so they usually have their stuff together. I always keep a few guys on the sidelines even now as backups, just have to pay em good (cash) to keep em coming back....

Guy I did some removals for a while back, has been recommending me to everyone he knows. He has been a real trooper for me in the past week, he sold about 7500. Going to have send him a Gift Card for a nice dinner.

Stump Grinding has slowed a bit, But it comes in droves anyway.

Old fellow here in town does very well at it, only hires someone when he has to haul debris

I love stumpgrinding as it combines two faves, excavation and treework. Never done it 30-40 hours per week though, just grinding the stumps I make plus a few others.

My dad is a retired faller and has a little stump grinding business. He's 67 and it's a perfect part time job for him. He gets loads of stumps to do thru us (it was Tree Guy's idea for him to start) and will often drop off business cards at people's houses if he sees a stump in their yard. Gives him that extra money so him and mom can travel and have some extras in retirement.

I've been bagging some small jobs, nothing big here.

A grim site for lumber/hardware stores around here. The last of 3 just closed its doors today. Been around almost 100 yrs.

Back