"so....hows bizness"

Several calls in the last week. Still haven't quite killed the fall backlog-about $1100 worth of work left of that. I really see no significant deviation from normal winter doldrums other than an almost universal nervousness about the coming year expressed in conversation. The irony of course is that mood drives economic ups and downs so it may take a little time for positive thinking to start pushing things. I'd bet that economic outlooks are going to be considerably better in April when Spring is sproinging.

Well....My 'business' is different than most of youse guys'. I took a 100k cut to my budget, and can expect more than that in fiscal year '10.

I scrambled to get some contracts in place in October and November, mainly because the guys I deal with were screaming about not having work. Then the ALB thing happened, then the ice storm, now I have contracts in place with guys who are too busy to do the work.:?

The next few years are going to be alot of "do more with less" fuuuuuck me:whine:

I'm with Justin. I'm hoping people will stop dwelling on doom. I'm wondering if the media said "things are looking up", if it would open pocket books and raise moral. It's almost like we are digging our own holes just dwelling on the bad. Think positive, I'm betting there is money out there somewhere.

Last fall, we laid off 9 people. Thankfully, because of a county project we are doing, all but one are back. We were down 5.7% last year.

I'm with Justin. I'm hoping people will stop dwelling on doom. I'm wondering if the media said "things are looking up", if it would open pocket books and raise moral. It's almost like we are digging our own holes just dwelling on the bad. Think positive, I'm betting there is money out there somewhere.

Same here. Worry is the misuse of a good imagination.

Pretty much the same here. Out of 5 companies I work for only getting 2-3 days aweek. It's enough to float but if eco goes alittle more south it wont be.
BLINKY!! :\:
I'm think that cat rescue gig might be a new way to make a life. lets see cover the whole NJ do north one day, south next , and middle anytime. 4-5 cats a week at $150pr I can stay a float. ;)

Pretty much the same here. Out of 5 companies I work for only getting 2-3 days aweek. It's enough to float but if eco goes alittle more south it wont be.
I'm think that cat rescue gig might be a new way to make a life. lets see cover the whole NJ do north one day, south next , and middle anytime. 4-5 cats a week at $150pr I can stay a float. ;)

Cool. I'll put'em up in the trees on the opposite rotation and we'll split it 50/50... I'm thinking we could do more like 10 a week.

Im not doing too bad. My Nov sucked because of equip probs, so im now making it up.

as for the firewood, i too have noticed more for sale here this year than in yrs past. either there are more guys out of work that need something to do or more guys thinking ther is real $$ in firewood. Im selling some, not nearly what i thought i would tho.

here i stay busy by doing palms all summer then in the winter i trim all the tree away from the apts and do the removals that could wait.a lot of tree companys are closing there doors or getting the equipment repossed

The pines out this way keep growing, but almost no snow so far to snap 'em off. Work is slow to non-existent. If a big storm hit, seems like all hell would break loose, but another six weeks and we're into spring. I bought new snow tires for the vehicle as well, but nature doesn't want to cooperate.

The fox population is on the increase, see them all about. Cat is a yumyum for a fox, and with them goes the number of cats that might otherwise need to be rescued. My kitty had a look of terror like I'd never seen, after beating it back to the shop being chased by a fox, and just making it. He tumbled through his door like gangbusters....what the hell I thought? I peeked through the opening and saw a pair of long legs standing there. It even scared me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

go back to tree buzz with that shat

I'm doing ok, alot of trimming to be done. More and more tree removals are opting to leave the rakings or stump chips to save money, all good just work the numbers and we still make out good.

Lots of stumpgrinding, maybe I'm to cheap!

if your working, paying bills, and feeding your family in this economic downturn your not working to cheap.

Today I made copies and sorted paper all day at my crappy office job...atleast I got some way to make money while the chipper rusts.

I loved and hated making my sole income from trees, and that was before all this recession crap. lot of stress, good money days/weeks.

Sigh, mebe I'll give it a go when we are settled again. Moving soon, looks like we'll be calling Rockwall, TX home.

Are you guys throwing darts at a map or do you have a plan?

Well my gross was up 6.5% this year. I am just finishing my third year in business and I bet I will beat last years numbers this year. I don't know how but I just feel like I will. Call it optimism or stupidity but that's what I feel.

I am right there with ya Darin... I did more with less this year and came out 9 percent over last year... Chipper made more money and the tree work did too.. So things were on the up last year..
Now down to two of us with Katy on call once the baby gets a few more months on her. Once Katy can come out to spot me I can split my resources. ;)

Tnt had its best year ever in 08, real slow ofd late, ate up most of the back log, 24 below temps stopped us dead. then I sold the company ~ whoo hooo!
goin on a big boat nxt wk

then I'll be lookin for a part time cutting job. got a bunch of excess equip I have to sell, minis, chippers, computers, etc

I cannot bitch

Back