Smart Winch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I would still prefer the GRCS. IMO, having the lowering bollard and the winch be a single unit is not a good idea. With the GRCS you have a choice: you can either use the lowering only bollard (as I would most of the time), or you can use the winch, which lifts and lowers. But if you used the winch all the time and just threw away the lowering only bollard, the winch would wear out much more quickly. And this would suck because the winch is the most expensive part of the machine. It sure does look pretty though.

Look closely Sean....

The bollard is built around the outer circumference of the winch. You can choose to use either or, without any changeout. You want the winch, wrap here. You want the bollard, wrap here.

It looks like a very clever idea. I never use the lowering only bollard on my GRCS. I use my GRCS once a moth if I am lucky so I am not worried about the rope wear.

I don't think you could get that nearly as tight to the tree as you need to with just the torque you can get out of the wich handle. If that came in at a thousand cheaper than the GRCS it would be a good light rigging solution.

Very neat, I like the idea of the winch handle being able to tighten the strap. I just don't think I'd trust that little bit of leverage.

I'm with OM though. I never used my lowering bollard on the GRCS. I figure it's one hell of a lifting device, lowering anything that big I don't want to be in the tree anyways.

Very cool though.

We use our bollards all the time, but we do alot of negative blocking. Use the winch for the canopy and main limbwood, then changeover to the bollard to block down the butt log. We try hard to only use the winch when we actually need to hoist something.

The idea is great, but not THAT great. Shit for that price you could buy 2 GRCS, and buy the crew lunch all week long.

You can do the same thing with the Goods. There is just enough room to place the bollard below the winch and add another ratchet strap and you can then rig two lines, you'd need to set up another fairlead for two ropes.
I have eexperimented with it the other way as well with the bollard above the winch with a wrap around the bollard and using the winch to take up slaack or pull before snapping off a piece and then letting it run. Takes alot of the shock load away from the winch. i can't be the only numskull to try this. I use a limb to prop up the winch or bollard to keep it from falling out, I should get to the welder to do up a permanent extension for this tandem feature..
The Goods is great!

I don't know if you're the only numbskull, RopeArmour...but you seem to qualify, yourself :).

Why is it people in general and arbs in specific feel like they should feel free to screw around with the way they use a device, waaaay outside of the design parameters?

Just askin'.
:D

I've only looked at the pic but it looks sweet to me. If you could wrap the bollard reverse to the winch that would be sweet. Just depend on fairleads.
I concur with the mounting strap, we normally use two guys and crank till the strap sings when rapped on with your knuckles.
$5k? Not anywhere near interested in looking.
We rarely use the bollard, only on the biggest of wood. I tear the winch down annually and never a sign of damage inside.
Stacking the bollard below the winch seems a bad idea, first, I dont believe it will be fully encased in the side grooves and that could cause alot of pressure at the end of the weld. Especially if you only put it on for the big stuff

Looks like it's current value is $3396 and you can run both in opposite directions

Attachments

• 63059_149456215095161_100000923495126_244117_7703616_n.jpg
    63059_149456215095161_100000923495126_244117_7703616_n.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 10
I guess i like to experiment. I try hard stay within SWL. You wouldn't believe what the goods has done for me, pulled tree out of house and so on, I had a driver bit welded to 3/4" socket and would crank it with 2' ratchet(women who worked with me for couple of years was about 120lbs. So that helped alot.
The spline and gear and pawls have all been replaced.
I don't know if you're the only numbskull, RopeArmour...but you seem to qualify, yourself :).

Why is it people in general and arbs in specific feel like they should feel free to screw around with the way they use a device, waaaay outside of the design parameters?

Just askin'.
:D

Haha, its all about using forces, the falling log will lift the branch that got stuck in the crotch!

I hate when a branch gets stuck in a crotch, it can be a real painful experience.

Well... Yeah. I'm posting this from my iPad parked around the corner. :D

Back