Set Throwline With A Drone - Stupid Idea?

Yeppers , that’s why the big salt-water reel might be the ticket ... fire bag over tree ; attach heavier(250lb test) line with nose to spider line and reel it back in ! Attach rigging rope to heavier 250lb test line and gtg !

It makes sense to try it that way at least on higher shots ... the diameter of the line and the way it pays out (resistance for lack of better term ) are definitely factors when trying to reach greater heights ... My homemade unit is safe at 150psi and will propel a 14oz throwbag 175+ feet np with no line attached ... I’m using the notch 14oz bag and 3mm throwline (hair less than 1/8 in) ... the diameter of 50lb test spider wire is .015 or around 1/64th of an inch ... I’ll give it a whirl - seems like it makes a whole lotta sense in the right application!

My dad had one of these when I was a kid. This one is a rifle; I'm pretty sure his was a 12 gauge shotgun. Not sure what happened to it but I sure wish he had kept it. Probably wouldn't shoot as far as a bigshot.
Line launcher.jpg

Lol i need to weld one up that'll do a thousand psi or so:lol: but years ago i bought a bigshot, so I've been too mad that i spent 100 bucks on something that i could have welded up on break for free that i just keep using it. And i don't need a compressor, di there's that.

Reg, think your drone could lift a 10 or 12 oz throw bag hanging centered under the drone? That would need a drop trigger like a latch coupled to a camera tilt etc. Fly up, cross the tip branch, drop. Maybe try an experiment to see if the stability control system freaks out with sudden weight loss. If the drone shoots up vertical it could hit an above branch. Maybe Nick Aaraya is over the palms with clear sky above. Otherwise the torque load from line weight at the end of the straw might mess with the drone stability control, during upward and or downward pulling. Maybe time for a backyard experiment with a straw and a string. Weights and lines could be downsized like for huge trees, 4 oz and Fireline perhaps but that takes away the helpfulness by adding the transition step to throw line.

Feel the shaking out on the island recently?

Back