Selling ... Bid to bargain ?

Around here it seems I'd get a lot of the 'well I could do it myself blah blah bla' because its traditional logging country. I learned to love to play with people like that. I'd do my damnedest into talking them into doing it themselves. Tell them how much money they could save, how really it's quite easy, let them know 'hell I do it everyday it can't be that hard'. I'd try to stop short of laughing, but you know I couldn't contain the sh-t eating grin.

Some people do understand. I worked on a property next to a guy's residence that trains sumo wrestlers. After his observing and seeing some crane aided flying about, his comment was, "That's really man's work!". I didn't know Fiona then or I probably would have said. :)

anyone ever bid a job where the client had tried to cut a branch with one of those throw the string over the brand and pull back and forth to do the cutting?

We did one 10 years ago.. luckiest thing the guy did was get that thing stuck, cause this monster limb was right over the house...

I have a picture somewhere that shows where a homeowner (fresh from Bosnia) did just that...did not bother to tell me. He just said he needed help getting the tree down. When I got up in the tree I found that my TIP was on the same limb...I did not like finding that surprise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
...well three weeks later on $5800 bid w five trips to house , no job for me ( or other companies ) texted him w a December deal .. Offered a 10% price reduce on any or all quoted trees. Alex Tribeck would call this move a "Gambit" ... Coming into the worstest slowest months , can't wait around for roof shoveling calls and I don't plow driveways. If they book I would gladly take it.

Gotta do what you gotta do. We all talk big shit about getting what it's worth and not lowering the bar. But in reality, we gotta stay moving too and I guarantee we've all cut our own throat plenty of times to stay afloat in the winter.

Not me!
I can guarantee you that.

Winter is our logging season, I usually cut my own throat in summer.

Me either, in the shop is a good place to cut my throat with so many choices of implements to do it, but cutting planed pieces of wood and waiting for spring seems a lot better.

Back