Selling ... Bid to bargain ?

Altissimus

TreeHouser
...not my style really. Bid as accurate as I can w desire to get hired. Often get customers who ask if "I can come down". Standard response is to give them a no cleanup price and their lawn guy can have at it. Last people Husband happened to be a professional negotiator asked. Knowing full well their knowledge of Trees is minimal , I am left wondering if I rounded up a few hundred to come down if I would have been hired ! Seems like Kabuki Theater and a silly waste of my time. Prob should have made it a poll ... Who amongst us does , who doesn't.

Everything depends, do I need the work? Does the customer seem like a jerk? Is my price really a bit high?
But yeah, I'll negotiate.

Some people have to wheel and deal, some howl at the price no matter how much. I don't, if I like the price, I buy, if I don't, I walk, no emotion, it's just business.
Don't let people beat be down in price anymore either, I'm the only one that loses if I do. I just tell them this is what it takes to run my business.
If the other guy drops his price wasn't he overcharging or taking advantage of them to begin with? Just figure out your hourly rate, how long the job will take and let the numbers speak for themselves. Charge what it takes to do a good job

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep Mick , the usual factors... Took me so goddamn long to get good at Tree work prob should take negotiations seminar somewhere...

Yep Willie my basic humble approach , how many hours will it take for a quality job. Thus the price.

A friend of mine has printed right on his business card, "Work for the wealthy and or wise". He doesn't like to negotiate.

...right , Chris E ... Didn't mention the obvious "cash upon completion" tach. These particular customers didn't seem the cash type. Many DIY's building something jump on a cash / HO Help out deals.

Some people's cultural back ground points to this. Big a little high, come down, they feel like they got a good prices, and knocked you down. Sorta like if you know they will want a little bush or two whacked while doing the trees.

You decide if you want to play.

I don't run up against this, except very rarely.

I just did an $1800 maple removal...over house. Probably could have done for $1600...but owner is elderly lives alone, all worried about tree. She is going to pay $200 per month. Since I knew she would be doing this I tacked on $200 for paying over time. She did this about two years ago too on the first work i did for her.

She has a big dead pine to drop and another simpler maple for later...I will ending up doing payments on them too.

I don't 'negotiate' after giving a price(atleast I didn't). I also would never 'bid down' to match or slightly underbid another companies price, like when after you've bid $1000 the customer says xyz company bid $900 'would you do it for $850? Nope, don't even want a customer like that. I let them know if we were bidding up, you could count me in, but down? No way.

My next tree company will be called RPO Tree Service. Rich People Only.

I never back down, but I'll offer the option of reducing the price afterwards if all goes well and I finish way quicker than I calculated. I also tell them that it doesn't happen very often, however. ;)

Since we have a 25% tax on all goods and services, most people who try to get it done cheaper will ask if I'll do it for cash.

Then it is customary to sort of split the tax difference.

So I'll make a bit more and they pay a bit less.

That is how we finance our infrequent trips to the big trees.

Good point Shaun, about customs or an attitude possibly differing on an expectation to lower prices or not. Having had a business in a few countries, I found the people in the states generally good to work for, it being friendly there as far as customers wanting the producer of the service to get a fair shake in the deal as well. A fine quality representative of a kindly culture. Other peoples are not so magnanimously thinking. Personally, I like to see tact in a customer, if they are communicative about the work and want to be understanding of what's involved, might be appreciative of reputation, then they introduce their budget as a consideration in a decent way, I am willing to reconsider price a bit, but if someone starts moaning about money from early on, and i get an impression that they are only interested in making out for themselves with little thought to the needs of myself, like in kind I quickly get to thinking the hell with them, and just as well want to let them take their ill conceived notions out on somebody else. Call it pride or whatever.... It's so much an easier and more enjoyable ride when working for decent folks compared to azzholes, and good customers stimulate good work.

I don't negotiate either. I can't say how it is in other places, but I'd just as soon work for middle-class folks here. They are much more appreciative of your work and apt to tip you, feed you and bring you a glass of iced tea, sweet of course.

I hear you there, Ray. Middle class, and just send a bill when you're done doing what you need to do rich types.

Less money = less work = lower quality, higher damage, or less clean-up - I will negotiate the parameters of the job...not the cost

I well understand your point, Dave, And i think well taken. It's the customer's choice. I do see a lot of jobs by people of that approach that leave the woods a horrible mess, like a bomb got dropped on the place. No standard, I can't find justification for that. I guess the customer is satisfied, i never see them out there afterwards, embarrassed and trying to clean up a little themselves.

well it all depends.. I like to think good equipment and higher skill means more productivity than the next guy, so I should be able to beat his price and still make good $... not every job is like that though... some jobs simply require more grunt work.. that's not my wheelhouse... and of course how much do I need or want the work... I've taken major $ off jobs because I think they'd be great for videos... remember the recession circa 2008... potential customers would give me the price... before I even got a bid out of my mouth, they'd say "can you do it for X?" and most of the time I'd take it... that was crazy... you do what you have to do... And then sometimes I take less just cause it looks like the client is hurting financially.. much different than the negotiator types that just try to beat prices down as an MO...

Back