Seized my EHP Husky 372.

SkwerI

Treehouser
I was working on a huge removal today and my saw was just cutting as fine as could be. Chips were flying, freshly dressed bar, new chain with a little 'touch up', life was good. Then as I was finishing a cut it just locked up and died with a thud. My heart sank because it was my favorite 372 and has run flawlessly for almost 5 years now.

But I had a job to do and I had just about done all I could do with the 372 anyway so it was time to pull out the 395. Before setting the saw in the truck I gave a tug on the starter rope, it came out about 6" and locked up. No movement in either direction. My heart sank a little lower. :(

So the job ran until almost dark. I got home after 6pm and took the saw out back to the shop. I figured I'd at least pull the recoil cover off and see if I could get any movement out of the flywheel to see if I lunched a piston or whatever. When I took off the starter cover, there was almost a foot of starter rope wrapped around the top of the flywheel. I guess it got snagged or something, it also ripped out the kill switch wire. But the motor is fine! I was really relieved that I didn't kill that saw.

I'm a happy camper tonight. :)

I'm glad that's all it was .Incidently one of the zillionths of times I worked on Toms' 038 Mag which I now own ,that was exactly what was wrong with it .Some times you get lucky .:)

Love that! Kinda how I got my power washer. Dude thought the engine was seized, turned out a $5 bearing the pump.

I love cheap fixes!!

I get that here sometimeson 372 also on 346 and 357's too.
Usually it is when the rope is worn on side and tension a bit loose, it will ride the edge and snag around line wheel. If the paws are in position they drag it around too and it can get ugly. Broken airguide, starter cover, linewheels, Paws, even fins broken...

Clutch springs on 350 and those similar will snag in bar cover and lock up too....

They alway's are happy when they see the bill for these type of damages.

After I got that 2100 Husky from that guy who was on here a short time ,you couldn't hardly pull the thing over .It was just the bushing on the starter drum plus a screwed up rope .

I was a little concerned for a short .Thought I bought a bucket of bolts .

I had to calm down before I could post, Brian pissed me off with this one! I was all but in tears when I read the title!
Glad that's all it was Squirly man!

Man, you guys sure love your saws.
To me they are tools, nothing else.
When they are worn out, I toss them and buy another.

Saws are incredibly cheap today, compared to when I first started logging.

Damn wonder if I can afford shipping to put your scrapes on my shelf for a bone-yard. Parts are parts, heck been known to put new crankshafts in some and rebuild like new again.

I had never seen or heard of what happened to your saw yet Brian. Thanks for sharing the info.

I did have this happen to a stock Partner 5000 in the cut one time. Being run by a lady friend that I was loaning the saw to for a stock saw race. She was practicing with it when it happened.

SC5000.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well maybe it's not so good after all. I just got finished fixing the starter rope and cleaning all the bits and pieces of rope and wire out of the intake area. The plastic deflector that guides fresh air in toward the air filter is broken and I have no spark. I don't know if I sheared the flywheel key or something else, I even dribbled a bit of gas directly into the carb and got nothing. Looks like it's going on the shelf until I get around to figuring it out. I still have another Dan Henry PP372 as well as a brand new 372xpw or xpg or whatever they are, the 75cc version.

That's just the kill switch wire, they run fine without it. I should know, those cheap wires break all the time on me.

Plug wire runs across there too.. You already replace it?
Pic looked like it was by by.
Maybe the rope damaged or moved the ignition module in some way you can't see :/:

Man, you guys sure love your saws.

Saws are incredibly cheap today, compared to when I first started logging.

Oh, but it is much more than a saw!
It is a challenge... A dare...
A test of intelligence and patience!

Hehe

That is what I was saying Magnus.. Looks bye bye.
Not trying to imply you would not know these things Brian. Just asking. :)
You have a module on another 372 you can try ?

Dang, you guys are good! I took a closer look and sure enough, the plug wire got munched by the flywheel after getting pulled out of place. Looks like it is permanently attached to the coil so I'm probably going to have to order one (unless somebody here has one I can buy).

Back