saw snatcher caught on news tape

Marc-Antoine, If you aren't sure about what a reaction to a cut is going to be, cut slowly (reduce rpms) as you near completion, maybe even stop for a second and pay attention. Often there will be some movement in the way things are going to go. It gives a heads up. Being alert and ready to get out of there is a part of saw work.

I've had root wads come loose on the hillside before while logging. Very unpredictable what they will do or direction they'll roll. I've also bucked off alot of rootwads before for some landclearing logging and that sucked bigtime. They were all pushed over with a hoe and the bind was extremely hard to read, as well as the dirt everywhere made it a terrible job.

Sounds like a job for carbide chain, Squish. Ever used it? It works, but does cut slower. Most folks probably don't want to bother with it due to the costly diamond wheel required to sharpen.

Just a quick personal experience about carbide chains ... bought one years ago $125!!! ... first tree - hit an included stone, hard-nail ... something ... knocked off one of those carbide teeth and it knocked off all the other carbide teeth on one side of the chain ---- $125 gone in one revolution :cry: ... just a heads-up :D

True, Jack, they won't last against rocks or what you describe. For general dirt with it's fine grit, they have a place, I find. The carbide tips being brazed on, they do get knocked off. I bought a few feet of the stuff to make my own loops many years ago. I think I'm still on my second chain, probably enough on the reel for three or four more. Hardly use it though.

Sounds like a job for carbide chain, Squish. Ever used it? It works, but does cut slower. Most folks probably don't want to bother with it due to the costly diamond wheel required to sharpen.

Never used it not once. It probably would've lasted better, I filed through alot of chain on that job.

Back