saw snatcher caught on news tape

SkwerI

Treehouser
I was going to post this in the random video thread but wanted to get some comments. Somebody posted this on one of my Mustang forums and then questioned why I was of the opinion that both the sawyer and grapple operator screwed up. Please post your thoughts.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/31khLebxCyg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Let go of the saw. If it gets snatched, its likely you've not put your cuts in properly, so just let the saw go, rather than risking getting crushed.

I saw the title of this thread and thought "Some fool got caught stealing on camera," LOL.

That's what I thought too. A good idea may have been to use a bypass or snap cut. The sawyer can cut, move to a safe spot, and then let the grapple do the work.

I never saw anyone wear proper PPE in southern, IL except for the power line contract workers. Things are different down there.

+1 No PPE??? Was the saw strapped to his wrist? WHY ... why not just let go??? He came within inches of doing a face-plant on that bar. BUT, wasn't Drew Gardner really cool & calm - was he really there or was he cut into the shot? Lessons learned by that crew ... prolly none!!!

It looked like he just bucked it off from the top down and the grapple was pulling up on it and what pulled his saw was a little finger of tear out. He got lucky I think.

That would have been SO much better if it was down here in Florida and the hole was full of water!

Gravity was going to flip that root ball .If he wanted to snatch anything it should have been the roots .Oh well probably flipped the machine then .

Actually looked like a pretty clean buck overall. Just a little bit of wood pull got him. In those situations I expect it and am ready to let go of the saw.

would have been cool to see that reporter get splooshed.

Actually looked like a pretty clean buck overall. Just a little bit of wood pull got him. In those situations I expect it and am ready to let go of the saw.

would have been cool to see that reporter get splooshed.
Yes it would have and I think the loader operator may have had something to to do with it.

Funny, I watched Gerry cutting root balls off wind throws the other night... It was cool and a good lesson to be learned. Coming into our winter storms and all ;)

If he had cut the far side off first he could have been standing farther back to finish his cut. Standing on the root ball is not a good idea as 9 times out of 10 it's going to flop back.

When the root plate & the stem move simultaneously - your going to chance being in trouble because predicting the forces becomes much more complicated as they are so fluid

I worked only on few flopped trees and mostly small ones, so no skill at all on this point. What worries me is that the root plate can eventually completely tip over instead of coming back in place. In down slope for example. I'll have a hard time to figure what it could do.

We secured the last down slope one we had with 2:1 rigging. That held it from rolling down hill as the stem was cut. Then we pulled it back to up right to keep it safe for the HO to work around.

Back