Sasquatch sized gear?

Dave Shepard

Square peg, round world.
I am always on the lookout for sasquatch sized gear. I have trouble finding wide boots, and gloves that fit. Anyone else have this problem? I can find non-steel toe boots that are wide enough, but not steel with goretex. I wear a 12EEEE(E?), and that really limits me. I have been thinking of having a pair of whites or wescos made, but that is over $400, and I don't think they offer Goretex. I was also wondering about calk boots. Are these mainly for walking on logs, or would they also be suited to general woods work. I have never seen them in the Northeast. Thanks.

Dave

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool!, what's your credit card number?:lol:

I have heard good things about them, but even they aren't sure the can put a shoe on my hoof.;)

Dave

400 bucks isnt much more than normal. corks wear bad on rocky ground and asphalt. their hard on a trucks interior to

Corked boots are for West side loggers where it is wet and slippery all year long. I have worn Wescos and White's and like them both although White's are painful to break in, especially if you have never worn them before. I haven't had custom made boots yet but I am leaning that way since my feet are different sizes now. The thing I want to know about White's is if they are still handmade in the USA as a lot of their boots are mad abroad now. I want my boot's to be built in American sweatshops not foreign ones.

Dave, Have you been to the Redwing store? I think that they stock wide widths through 13 as standard items. I have narrow feet so I have to look beyond the big box stores for the opposite reason.

The last boots I had as a firefighter were Nick's. They were great boots. If I fought fire again, that is what I would buy. Great for hiking around the hills. I am not sure if they have a lineman version of their boots though. I guess that won't matter for Dave.

Well, I don't imagine that they do last like White's boots but I guess "don't last" is relative. I have been wearing my current ones for almost 2 years...or is it 3?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stumper, yes I do buy Redwings, they are the only ones that offer the 12H widths that I wear. They do not offer shoes with Goodyear welt soles, or goretex. Redwings DryW is nowhere near as good as goretex. Also, Goodyear welts, those are the ones that have the stitching around the outside, hold up way better than the glued on ones that they offer in the wide sizes. Thanks everyone.

Dave

Also when you wear out the steel caulks try switching the highly wore ones with Cer-Mec caulks. They last a lot longer, not quite as sharp more of a round profile. They have a tungsten material on the tip. They seem to grip rock well.

Both Whites and Wescos are still made in the U.S; Whites are made in Spokane, WA and Wescos in Scapoose, OR. I've owned custom pairs of both and must say I like my Wesco's better. If the boots are leather, goretex is not neccessary. Just apply leather conditioner/waterproofer every 3 months or so and you won't have any problems. Definitely get custom made boots if you have wierd shaped feet. If you've been suffering in poor fitting boots so far, you'll be amazed (and relieved) at the difference.

Both Whites and Wescos are still made in the U.S; Whites are made in Spokane, WA and Wescos in Scapoose, OR. I've owned custom pairs of both and must say I like my Wesco's better. If the boots are leather, goretex is not neccessary. Just apply leather conditioner/waterproofer every 3 months or so and you won't have any problems. Definitely get custom made boots if you have wierd shaped feet. If you've been suffering in poor fitting boots so far, you'll be amazed (and relieved) at the difference.

Got nothing to add to that except that my Wescos and whites are some of the best boots I have ever bought.

Over time, they are also very affordable because they are rebuildable. My wescos are on their third life, and the whites on their second.

This Gor-tex stuff is best for boots made of belly leather and composite parts.
Good harness leather breathes and is water proof as long as you take care of it.

I know firefighters and machinists are hardest on boots. The ash and sand eats the leather and the metal shavings just rip up the leather

Back