Sad, obvious and true.

• Thread starter Mike Maas
  • Start date
  • Replies 24
  • Views 3K
Well he wont do that again!

Wonder what else will come of this?

I've had moments in my life were I thought I could fly but fortunately no open plane door near me at the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It seemed like such a strange article, "Man jumps from plane without a parachute, dies."

Like, "No Shit!"

I'm thinking he jumps and films a lot, and this time he just forgot the chute. There must have been a V-8 moment, for sure.

We tree guys can take a lesson from this too. :O

I saw an article years ago where a group was doing formations in free fall. This woman smacked head first into another jumper and knocked herself out. She was tumbling erratically and this guy manuevered in from behind her a popped her chute and they both lived. He had seconds to spare. It had been attempted several times and both died in every other case. The guy compared it to trying to catch a football kicked down a road. I saved the article and got goosebumps and hair standing up on the back of my neck every time I read it.

After I saw the movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, I had an unreal sense of what could be done in trees. The ability to separate fantasy from reality is a necessary survival tool.

Suicide? Hewlett Packard has facilities in the silicon valley of course and they also have facilities in Sacramento and they have a plane that ferries people back and forth between the offices. They had a woman passenger who just disappeared on the plane and they figured it was a suicide. Found her body a few days later in the coast range mountains.

I saw an article years ago where a group was doing formations in free fall. This woman smacked head first into another jumper and knocked herself out. She was tumbling erratically and this guy manuevered in from behind her a popped her chute and they both lived. He had seconds to spare. It had been attempted several times and both died in every other case. The guy compared it to trying to catch a football kicked down a road. I saved the article and got goosebumps and hair standing up on the back of my neck every time I read it.

Nowadays, you can equip your chute with an automatic deployment system. If you were to go unconscious, the chute automatically opens at a certain height. We opted to pay for this feature when our daughter was putting together her chute. It was not cheap, something like a $1000.00 in addition to whatever she paid.

I used to think I want to jump out of an airplane. I seem to have evolved to the " why jump out of a perfectly good airplane."

I had a couple buddies go and take the jump training course. They went up to jump and one jumped. The other got to the door and said nah. His buddy razzed him with no mercy.

I did it once when I was 22. Of course I DID have a parachute, but no camera. I believe as we get older we realize that we're not invincible and that death can come quickly and easily if we're not careful.

I used to think I want to jump out of an airplane. I seem to have evolved to the " why jump out of a perfectly good airplane."

I've built too many parts for airplanes. I know too many people that build airplanes. I have heard too many stories about how these ariplanes are put together.
You are hard pressed to get me to go up in "a perfectly good airplane", much less get me to drop out of one!

I've built too many parts for airplanes. I know too many people that build airplanes. I have heard too many stories about how these ariplanes are put together.
You are hard pressed to get me to go up in "a perfectly good airplane", much less get me to drop out of one!

So, are you saying that you built defective airplane parts, and people you know built crappy airplanes? Doesn't your conscience bother you knowing that you put peoples lives at risk because you were not good at your job?

I'm just looking to clarify what he said.

My father worked for Wright Aeronautical for almost 40 years and I know he took his job seriously. He knew that people's lives depended on the quality of his work.

So, are you saying that you built defective airplane parts, and people you know built crappy airplanes? Doesn't your conscience bother you knowing that you put peoples lives at risk because you were not good at your job?

I am saying I made the parts the way they were engineered and designed. I would have done some things differently.
Then with the advent of CATIA all the tollerances on the plane where to be within +/-.030" (physicly impossible with alum. and the size of these planes).
I know many sheetmetal mechanics and what they have to do to make these parts fit, which is the accepted procedure now.
I know there is over 10,000 lbs. of bondo in the average 747. Most of that is not on the body, but used to fill gaps where they had to shim ribs to fit the skins so inspection would buy them off.
I also know of MANY that do not take their job seriously, show up high or drunk to work. Nothing I can do for them.

I guess that's why I'm only allowed to bring one carry-on now. hmmm? :?

Yeah, CATIA was going to "fix all of that":lol: They basically pick a "fixed point" in thin air, and reference the entire plane off of that point. It had just gotten started when I was leaving the machine shops. It was STUPID!!! You have a six by four inch part that is referenced off a point six feet in front of the nose of the airplane, then have to back figure to have the actual dimensions? This is accurate how?
Yeah, the "rib cage" had problems for years, but rather than fix it they will just shim it out where the rivet points are, then fill the gaps with bondo!
And people never could understand why I wouldn't go work for the big plants? I take a LOT more pride in my work than that!
I only wish I was joking about this!

Sawinredneck, do you know if the published statistics of that there are less accidents from air travel vrs. vehicular traffic is because there are so many more cars than airplanes?

Sawinredneck, do you know if the published statistics of that there are less accidents from air travel vrs. vehicular traffic is because there are so many more cars than airplanes?

I think that is part of it, the other factors, as I see it. You are required a lot more training to become a piolt and about any idiot can get a DL.
Take everybody out of a car and put them in a plane for the daily comute, I think the statistics would tip the other way.
For the record, I will fly, but only if it's the cheapest and easiest option.

From 1982 I took my first jump and continued skydiving until 1991...work, wife, kids!

I've heard of guys doing this very same thing, and on more than one occasion, I've seen guys walking to the plane without a chut until they realized they didn't have one on.

Did it myself once but only once!

After jumping for a long time and being to comfortable with jumping, its easy to forget your not wearing a chute. They've done this a thousand times and in their mind, its on their back but in reality its not.

This type of accident where a guy jumps without a chut is the same: A guy (usually a seasoned instructor with many jumps) goes in the plane and sends students out. Then he jumpes out after the last student only to realize his error! Opps!

Our club quickly changed its practice so no one is allowed in the plane without a chute on, including the pilot, regardless if you plan on jumping or not!

Problem solved!

Lack of experiance, complacancy, over confidence and taking risks beyond ones ability are contributing factors that can cause death or injury! (Same goes for tree work).;)

I've known to many friends who have been killed in skydiving related accidents.

Once you loose fear of jumping from a plane (or climbing trees for that matter), your odds of having something bad happening to you increases!

HC

Back