Ropetek Hitch Hiker

... Dave I havent seen the stopper knot tail shorten in all the time Ive been using it, as it sets it introduces slack into the hitch but Ive never seem the tail move???

Paul, I do not have the slightest doubt that what you say is true, but that is not proof that it can't or wouldn't. It works just great with the dogbone but it is not a binding knot. That is what makes it easy to untie after being loaded. Combine that with a hitch cord that has a sheath that milks and add a climber that is less than focused and I think more tail is a good thing. ( Did I really just say that? ) The cord you sent is 44" long and as can be seen in my last picture is more than long enough to get long tails on both ends.

Dave

Thanks for the warning/heads up Dave.
We have one rookie, the apprentice, but we check on him constantly to make sure he doesn't screw up.
I have never had an apprentice hurt, except for one that got whacked by a springpole in storm clean-up back in -99.
That is one record I intend to keep.

We took the afternoon off today and played in a big beech. They promise heavy rain tomorrow, so we decided to go for it.

All I can say is I sure wish that the Hitchhiker had been around when I started climbing.
I feel like I've wasted 30 years. That thing is just soo fine.

Martin, the apprentice, is going back to the forestry school in a month, it'll be fun to hear the teacher's reactions, when he shows up with the Hitchhiker.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What hitch and cordage did you use Stig?? I am concerned with some cordages not being compatible, yesterday I was doing a BIG removal with a crane in the rain. I seldom work in the wet but I had the crane and a guy to haul wood etc so decided to go for it. I decided to climb on a short piece of Imori that I have as opposed to the long Buzzz line I usually use. My 10mm beeline is about 2 months old but works fine on the Buzzz. However on the wet Imori it would continue to slide down the rope a couple of times if I was descending fast. Bit of an eye opener, I switched back to the Buzzz and all was good. I have climbed on Imori before with a newer hitch cord and it was fine but I guess the worn cordage and wet didnt afford enough grip....

I seldom work in the wet ....

Me either, ya right, however I think that there are going to be variables such as this that will prevent a one hitch/ hitch cord fits all scenario. I'd use different cords on Poison Hyvee, and just had to test "low and slow" as with any climbing system, SRT or DdRT.

We just used the 10 mm Beeline that you included.
We are going to try wrapping the ends in some of that shrink wrap that is used for electrical wiring. Maybe that'll keep it from fraying, because that is the one irritant in the system.

I climbed on a hank of Blaze, Richard on something from Honeybrothers and Martin on Lava.

All of us had expected some dial-in problems, but it worked flawlessly on all 3 lines.

Martin had about 10 minutes of " Eeeeeeee, I think I'd rather just stick with DRT, if you don't mind". Then I told him that if he was so hooked on working with obsolete systems, we'd skip buying the new MS441 we have promised him for this falling season, and let him use my old two bit axe and Disston saw instead.
All of a sudden, he was a BIG fan of SRT.
Bout ½ hour later he was raving about how good the HH worked:)

For Richard and myself, the transition was painless. Now I just need to go wreck out a big tree with it, but I was told that the local State forest has a load of hazard trees for us to de-hazard, so that will give us a chance to get real comfy with it.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to incorporate the HH into my modified treefrog system, and I'll be one happy treeslayer.

Actually, telling everyone I know in the business that they are sooooo last century, treeclimbing wise, has made me plenty happy:lol:

I'm lining up a lot of potential customers for you.

Do you need a European dealer, by any chance?

We just used the 10 mm Beeline that you included.
We are going to try wrapping the ends in some of that shrink wrap that is used for electrical wiring. Maybe that'll keep it from fraying, because that is the one irritant in the system.

Stig, one end of the cord is whipped, I have since yours started to drip some super glue on that end to keep it from fraying. The other end with the tape is GTG IMO as it can always be left with a stopper knot.

Keep us informed about your experience.

Im guessing thats because I cut the cord so close to the whipping , hopefully the super glue will do the trick. FWIW my 2 month old cord still has its original whipping, maybe I just know how to treat a rope:lol:

However having 1 tapered end is essential.

I'm loving my HH. Especially on removals as it suits my style well. I struggled with the beeline intially, but now it's broken in a little it functions OK. I have also tried ice-tail & a couple of different 8mm cordages. With the exception of the ice-tail, which I did not like, any good functioning hitch works well, but it seems to function better with the short hitch you recommend Paul.
I have also climbed dDRT frequently using it. (Due to wet & slippy climbing conditions) The reduce friction at the hitch makes for some super smooth work & it advances the hitch very effitiently.
I will report back again in a few weeks - but I cannot criticise it's function or form. Looks good & works even better :)

Sorry Stig:( That is one of my late night jobs, right before bed. Maybe yours were a little too late... After I do a couple of hundred I will have it down:)

I am still awaiting Yale to do the testing, aparently Yale is still waiting to hear back from ISA as to what tests they want done........... Cannt sell within the US till they are independantly tested, probably shouldnt sell any where but figure the chances of litigation are way less.....

What does the ISA have to do with anything?

Nevermind not important I guess.....just curious.

Im down when they're available!

I soaked the tip of the Bee-line in cyano acrylate last night after trimming the core down a bit to make it pointed.
Even managed to avoid gluing myself to the worktable.

This mornings test makes me think that is the way to do it.

Stig how did you keep a tapered end to be able to glue it. I do this with the whipping but that is tedeous....

I whipped it before gluing it.
Should have mentioned that.

Stig I was hoping you had an epiphany and came up with a way to taper and seal the end in 13 seconds:lol:

Back