Rope Runner Pro

People on FB are bidding to buy specific serial number RRPs from those now out there...saw $500 offered for #333 or #666 !!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
People on FB are bidding to buy specific serial number RRPs from those now out there...saw $500 offered for #333 or #666 !!!!

Yeah, and they are probably the same people that are the most vocal about how screwed up the world is now.

Bizareness. What is the significance of 333?

Kyle, have you had a chance to climb with your RRP enough to make any comments on it?

More than i already have? No not really. I'll be working it this week tho, very much looking forward to it. Got a quick little 2 tree job, a pine and a cherry, no real limb walks tho, just making it fit. The other jobs are kinda grunt type ones, and hopefully a lift this coming weekend. I might get a chance to play around a bit tomorrow, but not holding my breath as I've already tried to cram too much stuff in my 3 day weekend already, and my production hasn't met my hopes and dreams lol.

I am going to fly it one more time before that job, if nothing else other than to set up a tether for tending it, and to see how much weight it wants to self tend. I'm gonna try using it in self tend while i awkwardly spike up the tree with no lanyard mode (it's skinny). Being able to set up a way to do that would be another huge game changer. I'm starting to think that this thing will allow me to actually function like i do this all the time, especially if i start pushing my rope walking more.

It only takes a few feet of rope to self tend when clipped into the tending point. If you need more for some reason, you can tie a throw bag onto the line.

More than i already have? No not really. I'll be working it this week tho, very much looking forward to it. Got a quick little 2 tree job, a pine and a cherry, no real limb walks tho, just making it fit. The other jobs are kinda grunt type ones, and hopefully a lift this coming weekend. I might get a chance to play around a bit tomorrow, but not holding my breath as I've already tried to cram too much stuff in my 3 day weekend already, and my production hasn't met my hopes and dreams lol.

I am going to fly it one more time before that job, if nothing else other than to set up a tether for tending it, and to see how much weight it wants to self tend. I'm gonna try using it in self tend while i awkwardly spike up the tree with no lanyard mode (it's skinny). Being able to set up a way to do that would be another huge game changer. I'm starting to think that this thing will allow me to actually function like i do this all the time, especially if i start pushing my rope walking more.

just tie a small bundle at the bottom of even a throwball on a piece of throw line will be enough weight. Clip into a chest harness and up you go.

Works with most SRT setups and is my go to. Only thing I have found doesn’t work as well is a dirty, sappy rope and hitch combo on the RW.

So I got to messing around with this a little today on my Scandere, which I see isn't a recommended rope, although Kernmaster is, I'm not sure how similar they are, but I used Scandere with my other two rr's a lot and it was good. I don't know how much of this is due to the newness and the slickness of the finish on the friction plate, but I initially opened the bird bollard to the max and then started closing down on it until it held well. It seemed to hold in the very middle mark, and normally my rope runners would almost be completely open, just a tick closed. I bet it picks up some friction when the painted surface wears off. So far the on-rope/off-rope and the bird manipulation are awesome. I'm really happy that the bollards are concave, in my mind that will make a great difference in practical use, I'll have to see if that plays out in real life. Getting a hand size appropriate allen wrench makes working the bolts on the bird an easy and secure proposition. You're playing with fire if you use the wrench that came with the RRPRO.

If I designed this piece of equipment, I could die a happy man knowing that I made a great contribution to the tree/arborist world, and by proxy the society as a whole

Bizareness. What is the significance of 333?

I didn't get that either, but climbing on the Great Beast would be cool.

Reminds me of when my best friend guessed my phone in one guess: 0666.

TallTree....you are right on the Allen Wrench and the RRP....the one supplied WILL buger up the Allen head if not careful. It slipped repeatedly, bolts were REAL tight.

I went out to truck, got my set of Allen wrenches and no problem. The supplied Allen wrench is NOT good to use. I''ll be throwing it away.

Is the allen wrench standard chainsaw size(whatever that is)? I ask, because I have that TopSaw multitool. It's utility is a little dubious, but if the allen wrench fit The RopeRunner, it would add to it's value including it on the saddle.

It only takes a few feet of rope to self tend when clipped into the tending point. If you need more for some reason, you can tie a throw bag onto the line.
Yup. I marlin spike a biner with a 16 ounce weight to get started up. Also, you can use your climb saw. Just bring it up to yourself for your first cut.

It is 5mm
TreeStuff says the ball allen on the TopSaw is 4mm, so not useful for the RopeRunner.

Sorry if this was already asked and answered, but is the original Runner still being made? If I wanted to get another 20 years out of mine, should I get a few friction plates and pulley rebuild kits now, or is the plan for those to remain available in years to come?

I have been told that the original will continue to be produced. You should give some thought on just switching to the RRP. They both work fine, but the pro is way better, imho.

If Dave says so, then I'd heed that advice without question, if I were wondering which way to go.

Just my opinion :).

Reactions: DMc
Man, I love my old-shool Runner. Never had the issue about the sharpness or whatever re the top on one's thumb, and I never midline attach anyways.

Noted, and I agree, almost all advice from Dave is rock solid and backed by experience. I do midline attach every climb, usually from the ground. When I’m up the tree already, the old Runner is a bit of work to take on and off, and if I’m 4 or more hours into a climb my hands don’t work so well.
I’ll definitely get one eventually but for now overtime is not happening and I’m in need of a saw bigger than my MS441 before I get another multicender.

I used my new RRP today for the first time. I had already put it on the Poison Ivy rope last week and was hoping to use it some this weekend...practicing with it. We got an all of a sudden tree job so I used it first time on a real job. I set up DDRT since I have not even tried it SRT yet...DDRT is quick for me....SRT takes more gadgets still, more setup time.

The RRP worked great with the PI rope...I set it up like the directions recommend and my first bounce test of it was excellent....grabbed solidly yet was fairly easy to depress the "bird" to descend. The bird will take some getting used to but my first experience today was outstanding. I did some limb walking with it, double tie-in to move to another two leads that were growing over the house. The device held just fine.

Looking forward to trying some SRT, maybe tomorrow....on several different ropes.

Where you eventually find the efficiency is in work position efficiency, Gary. It eventually off sets the prep time. And your prep time becomes more efficient as you do it more.
But mostly, the amount of tree you can cover. Different way of thinking through your plan. Also, your up and down and up again coverage of the work while in the tree becomes more efficient. Still suprises me when i come out of a prune and look at my time in it. People that work with me tell me i have gotten faster. I know some of that is exerience. But a large portion on that is my system and my use of the SRTtools in that system.

Back