Rope Guide Ideas

jtrouse

Treehouser
Hey all just thought id share a bit of my splicing lately, just started to think more about cheaper rope guides and here it is.

What is everyone else using that they have made up themselves?

Attachments

• rope guide 1.jpg
    rope guide 1.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 25
  • rope guide 2.jpg
    rope guide 2.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 20
Pretty cool until the prusik pulls through the eye splice, talk about a bitch to get out from the ground.

I've made a ring and ring adjustable, but mainly I use a RG.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The retrievable clip is from the local marine shop and the small aloy ring.

As far as retrieving it it comes out better than the 06 rope guide and i prefer to climb off this than my real rope guide, id prefer to try and get an original "rope" rope guide cam part any one want to sell theres or know where i can get one from???

Cheers

I like it. I can't afford one of those fancy pulleys yet though.
What kind of rope is that?

You can get damn near any stainless hardware you want from Bo'sun's Supplies

my rope guide

DSC00186.jpg

the ring and pully are genuine ART products, the shackle is from a chandelry and the rope is samson 13mm arbormaster the hitch is samson 9mm tenex and the whipping is marlow no. 4 whipping twine.

Jamie

jtrouse, I don't like that long blue string hanging in there. I think you could have just as much luck by taking that piece out, then attaching the retrieval shackle to the seized eye on the end so it looks more like Jamie's.

Jamie- I'd recommend a closed hitch of some sort.

I'm splicing up a new one for myself this weekend. I'll post pics later. I'm going to try the pulley on the end and the ring on the adjuster.

love
nick

i put the cord in that spot cause i made one with the clip on the end of the rope and found it didnt work as well as this idea and its sprectra so pretty strong. thanks

I was intending to run it as a closed hitch. the eyes are super tight, so its a bit of a problem cramming both onto the pully.

i've only used it twice (once only 6 foot off the ground) but so far its nice. makes the return to the top nicer and easier.

Jamie

made a couple of changes

i made a few small changes, shorten the prusic and added heat shrink to it.

Attachments

• rope guide 1.jpg
    rope guide 1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 18
  • rope guide 2.jpg
    rope guide 2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 19
The long blue string would be a bloody hemroid. I dont see it coming out that easy in some of the pin oaks & other trees we have here.

How does the pulley trap the ends of the B-Line?

Jtrouse, I was worried about the shackle on the tail of my ropeguide not being able to pull the assembly out of the tree and thought about a system like yours witha bit of cord. I can happily say that it has worked ok. If you can get a rin in the end of your guide, as opposed to the soft eye.

Jamie

yeah ive tried that and found it gets stuck in some crotches ive found this to work well and its not a soft eye it has thick heat shrink around stainless stell wire, alot of the guys here in aus are using this similar setup and havent had any probs with it at all.
thanks

I made a Friction Saver similar to yours a few years ago. It had a piece of hose going over the eye to keep the eye open more, making retrieval a little easier.

That was before I was keeping good records of everythign, so I can't find a picture now...:whine:

love
nick

did you find it came out easier with the eye open rather than a steel ring nick? i find the way mine is setup if it is chocked off and gets stuck the small ring and cord pulls it losier and than retrieves from the tree better, whats your thoughts?

I've had really good experiences with the aluminum ring. I haven't felt the need to try another style. The one I made with the big, hosed, rope eye was sent to the person who ordered it right away.

I'm interested to know if yours continues to work well after the rope has been well used.

Hey- who makes that rope you are showing there? The brightly colored one?

love
nick

Back