Rope Guide Ideas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yeah ill have to let you know once it has worn in more, the rope is yale technicolour, might be only at cannings not sure though.

i find it good cause you can see it more visibly.

Here's a prototype using a ring/ring friction saver. Retrieval link is different now. Second photo is an idea to keep the adjustable pruisik from pulling through the large ring. (not spliced, just taped together for show)

Attachments

• RopeGuide 015 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    RopeGuide 015 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 20
  • RopeGuide 005 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    RopeGuide 005 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 16
How would the prussic get pulled through? I've been using my one for two weeks now with no problems.

I chocker the strop round the tree and i'm yet to see the prussic even attempt to pull through.

Jamie

Hey, Hollywood, that first pic with the friction saver rings and the other friction saver running throught it. Why two? The rings by themselves seems enough to do the job. Am I missing something there?

jamie, the prusik won't pull through if used in a choke configuration. But you always have to use it choked then. Unless I'm working a spar or something I like to use my ropeguide in the hanging config.

Gerald, the added stuff is a pulley and retrieval link. Just a quick mod to the Friction saver to make a poor man's rope guide. This one is not adjustable, you can't choke with it.

Here's the one I made. I haven't used my rope guide in like 3 months because I've been waiting for a chance to resplice it. I finally did it the way I wanted, with the pulley on the end, and the ring on the adjuster. I seized the end as a streamlined stopper.

The rope is Yale XTC 16 strand with the whole core removed. Usually you take out 10 strands to make a core of 6 strand. I only pulled 8 strands so the rope is a little stiffer than normal. This minimizes the "indiana jones" effect that sometimes causes my rope guide to get stuck on the way down.

I use a ronstan snap shackle as the retrieval loop. I really like being able to snap it off and on as I like.

The only draw back I can see so far is that I can't remember which way the ropeguide goes on! It isn't holding firm like it should be. I'll figure it out...

love
nick

Attachments

• P4050007.JPG
    P4050007.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 10
  • P4050010.JPG
    P4050010.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 9
  • P4050011.JPG
    P4050011.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 7
  • P4050012.JPG
    P4050012.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 10
I haven't installed it yet because I'm still toying with if I want to have the pulley on the end of the rope or on the adjuster.

Mine didn't come with the split pin. Are they supposed to? I was thinking of installing a roll pin and just cutting it a little long on either side.

love
nick

Mine came with 2 tiny split pis selotaped to the instructions. i had to spanner down the nut to get the pin in however.

Jamie

Nick

I think you'll find no matter how its loaded the "puck" on the RG will slip when configured with the ring and the pulley reversed like you did. In order for the puck to bight on the line it needs the weight of the pulley to pull down and slightly rotate the puck.

Does that make sense?

But even if I don't rig it up...if I just grap the rope in one hand and the ring in the other and pull, it isn't biting.

Hmmm.

I've sent an email to freeworker. We'll see what they say.

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok heres a new idea i thought would work, using a positioner instead of the prusic and pulley attached to that, but how to retrieve it im very lost in where to attach it, the new positioners dont have a screw on the back of the cam so there goes that idea, what do you all think??

Nick,

Just the components alone looks to bring the cost of your rope guide up near $300 smacker's. Nicely done on the finish work, but that's a lot of bucks to be banging off the branches and hitting hard ground.

I have a slight scratch on my ART pully as it hit a stone on the ground.

They are expensive things to make up, luckily i paid for mine when i made one for someone else

Jamie

Nick,

Just the components alone looks to bring the cost of your rope guide up near $300 smacker's. Nicely done on the finish work, but that's a lot of bucks to be banging off the branches and hitting hard ground.

I read this and though, "you silly goose...learn how to use a calculator!" Then I added it up and it is easily over $300!!! So....YIKES!!! But I don't mind it getting smacked around. That's what it's for, I s'pose.

I emailed Hubert about the cam, and after getting passed the "love nick" thing, he was able to explain (through fun-to-read germenglish) that there might be compatibility issues with the cam and he knew from the serial numbers what the prob was. He is sending me a new cam!

Frans- I noticed a little zip lock bag on my desk the other day. It just glimmered or something. It was in this pile of papers and other junk. I grabbed it and inside was the installation directions for the rope guide, and taped to that were 2 tiny pins! So now that I have 'er all buckled down tight, I went ahead and installed the pins. I'm flying safe now!

jtrouse- if you are trying to use the positioner, you can retrieve it by splicing or tying a ring on the very end of the rope that the positioner is attached to. you'll have the big ring/carabiner on one side, and the appropriately sized retrieval ring on the other. In my experience, the heavier this ring is, the less likely you'll have troubles while climbing.

love
nick

Back