Rope bag project...

• Thread starter Hobby Climber
  • Start date
  • Replies 395
  • Views 35K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Frans,

I was looking in one of my catalogs this evening for bigger grommet dies so I can put larger grommet in the bottom of the mesh bags in the future. They don't make big ones (#5 grommets) to fit my press...just hand dies that you hit with a dead blow hammer. I'll call one of my suppliers to get a price on them as well as the 5/8" size grommets. I likely will not get one untill I can recoup some of my expenses.

BTW, I recieved your last two bags from "The Bag Lady"... just have to add grommets & drawstring to them and your order is done! Now I have to find a box to ship them in & they'll be sent out by the end of the week! HC

CA or bust...

Frans,

:multi: The bags were mailed out to you today! I PM'd you with the tracking number & Canada post web site. There area code is 8 8 8 but for some reason came up with a smiley in the PM.

You should get them within 11 business days...Enjoy! HC

OK, I now have a price for a grommet punch, press & die to insert a grommet with a 5/8" hole. Its just over $105.00 + tax & shipping (Canadian) & comes with 100 brass grommets.

This 5/8" grommet would go into the bottom of the rope bag to allow watre to escape.

Would this be something you guys would be interested in having in the bottom of your rope bags??? ...Both bags or just the mesh bags???

Your thoughts. HC

A nice touch but it wouldn't affect my purchase decision either way. My favorite feature of your bags is the fact that they are simple and inexpensive, and they WORK!

I only ever bought one Buckingham rope bag and I hate it. Too many doodads and 'features' that I don't use. The side pockets and label window have never been touched. The soft floppy drawstring top has never been drawn closed, although it gets in my way every time I try to load a rope in the bag. I'm considering just cutting off the top of the bag so I can use it more easily.

I've mostly used the CMI yellow rope bags. They are simple and cheap, but not ultra sturdy and they won't stand up unsupported in order to load a rope. The bags I bought from you are just as basic as the CMI bags but much sturdier and they stand up unsupported. That's all I could ask for in a rope bag.

Water will go through the tiniest of holes. If you want a drain hole, just use the same size grommets you have and save your money. :thumbup:

Here are a few of the new Mesh Bags I sent to Frans, (in mail at this time). They have the same small grommet in the bottom as is used with the draw string. It should work but I guess Frans will know best after he uses them in the rain!

I would have posted pics earlier but I'm back on dial-up at this time and as you know, it takes forever! HC

I've mostly used the CMI yellow rope bags. They are simple and cheap, but not ultra sturdy and they won't stand up unsupported in order to load a rope.

Those CMI yellow rope bags are sturdy. You must really thrash them or put them in the washing machine to make them floppy. The mesh bags that HB makes will get just as floppy under the same treatment....

I also dont like the fabric tops, they are a PITA.

Frans,

Just wondering if them rope bags found you yet? HC

No, but I have'nt checked the p.o. box this weekend. Monday I'll let you know either way.

HappyTree,

I sent you a PM.;) HC

Squisher,

Your bags will be ready in about 2 weeks!

Bob

Frans,

They are in California...I sent you a PM.;). HC

Squisher & Canuck,

A PM's been sent to you guys.;)

HC

HC,
I'm back on the forum. Yes, as soon as you have my four ready (the standard, all-blue 16"ers) let me know a price with the shipping and I'll have it on the way to you.
I had designed a one-off toolbox to bolt in against the headboard of my new used (1990) Ford Super Duty chip truck, with full length doors on the sides, street-side would have approx. 16" deep bins with snap-on lids for small items, and the other 2/3rds to 3/4 of the space would be accessible from the curb side with a pull out rack to hang rope bags, and an empty area across the bottom for cant hooks and long tools... but the budget got in the way, so that'll be another day. Will be tossing the rope bags in the back, as usual.

--pigwot

Joy!

Hey got my rope bags yesterday!
thanks.
Two bags Greg Good wants and two bags Charli Pottoroff wants. Damm. Now I wont have enough for me!
Thanks again for all your hard work. Bags look real nice.

Pigwot,

Good stuff with the truck tool box designe, do post some pics once its finished! Sure the gang would like to see what you've come up with.

I have one of your bags ready and the rest should be done by the end of this month. Oh and Pat,... welcome back to the TreeHouse! ;) HC
----------------
----------------

Frans,

Thats great, I hope everyone likes them!!! Be sure to post some pics of the Mesh Bags in action some time. BTW, I know a few guys that are using the mesh bags for there throw lines (TL). Didn't even think of that application but it should work fine. Let me know how they hold up over time...I haven't had time to make on for myself yet!:( HC

Kicking around an idea...

After hearing that a couple of the guys with my mesh bags are using them to hold there throw ling, I thought I'd take it one step further. A 14"-16" bag would be kinda to big so I was thinking of something shorter but with the same size base for easy loading. Simple to so, just cut the mesh shorter!

The only other thing that would be added would be a loop to allow a ring, snap-link or carabiner. Again, an easy fix. I could simply extend the web backing (sandwiched between the handle web strap & the mesh), up past the bags rim, bend it over and tuck it back into between the handle strap & mesh. (See Pic)

Good idea or not ???

HC

HC- I'd rather have the loop inside, and maybe the option to have a dog snap sewn in, as a quick place to clip the bag.

Put a pocket laying on the floor. This is place to put the bag tied on to the tail end.

Make the thing the a little wider at the top.. The wider mouth at the top will make for easier loading. Usually I load a rope into a bag my kneeling down and pulling it over my shoulder. Throwline get's thrown in while standing up.

In reality it can be 6 or 8" tall. We don't put THAT Much throwline in a bag. Look inside a Faltheimer with 400' of throwline in it. It's still 98% empty. Lower to the ground means less likely to fall over when setting up on a hill, less sail space for the wind to blow it over, less high you have to lift your foot when you step over it, less bulk to carry, etc.

If you can make the sides so you can fold them in to hold the throwline from shifting around during transport, like the cube, then you'll be WAY better than just a bag. Maybe appropriately placed piece of velcro to keep it closed during transport?

I can't wait to see what you come up with. I've made a few throwline bags in my day- but your sewing skills (and that of the bag lady) far exceed mine, so I'm excited!

love
nick

Back