Rocky's bucket truck for sale

Way cool Stumper. Take care of that lip. If it was the chain then it's getting awful close to the important parts of you.

cool, work safe fellas!

Stumper, whatcha gonna do about the silly squirrel logo on the truck? :D

Stumpy, take it slow... Ya got alot more responsibility now and a different skill set to learn

Would that be from overreaching with the saw or holding too large a piece on the cut and chunk technique? I've never done bucket work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've found that the biggest cause of a sore back when in a bucket is not getting high enough to reach your work. I've seen lots of guys stop 1'-2' short and reach over their heads to make cuts. Justin knows to get up and keep the work at waist-chest height and that will prevent a lot of back aches. I reach out a lot but it doesn't bother me very often.

One of our jobs yesterday was removing a limb over a service drop. There was a vehicle parked on the street in my preferred setup spot so we had to set up underneath another line (a single power wire feeding a street light). It was a good opportunity for Justin to practice maneuvering around an obstacle to reach the target. I think he's going to have lots of success with this truck. His situation here in Canon City will allow him to utilize the two separate trucks (bucket and chip truck) without a lot of hassle.

He has a firewood guy that is like the Tim Taylor of firewood processing. Harry has the ultimate Binford log splitter and the biggest firewood processor ever made. Harry will come to the job and pick up logs, AND he pays for them as well!

I'm heading for the airport in a couple hours and will be home tonight. Looking forward to getting home and back on my own computer. I'll be back to catch up on the forum then.

I've found that the biggest cause of a sore back when in a bucket is not getting high enough to reach your work. I've seen lots of guys stop 1'-2' short and reach over their heads to make cuts.

Yep, that's how you frig yourself up for sure!

I put plywood sides on the bucket I ran to make it higher. This seemed to help my back.
I guess it depends on how tall you are and how tall the bucket is made

Plywood sides on a bucket? I can't pitcher that...

I just cut two pieces which were the same width as the bucket but stuck up higher by about a foot.

That way the top edge of the bucket was closer to my armpits and prevented me from tweaking my lower back.

Some buckets are made deeper but this one was shallow

I wouldn't like that either. I have been in a few other buckets other than my own and to me they are too confining as it is. Even the the so called two man buckets seem a little restrictive.

This is why I have always liked the metal cage on my old Elliott boom. At least you can walk around a little in it and it is about waist high, plus we can carry tools on the floor and sides and still have room to spare. This is one of the many reasons why on hang on to the old girl ,plus it is customised for the way we do tree removals with all the different rig points I have on it. I don't think I would be happy with a regular type bucket. It is all in what you are used to I guess pro and cons like anything else

Yup, I wouldn't like the taller sides either. I normally like about 4"-6" of mulch in the bottom of the bucket to get me up higher in the bucket. If the sides were up to my armpits then I'd have no choice but to work over my head and that would be much more dangerous as well as making my back hurt more.

I'm back home sweet home. Uneventful and boring plane trip, exactly the way it's supposed to be. I think I am going to have to rank this trip as one of the more successful TreeHouse Road Trips of all time. Getting to spend a little time with Carl and Justin, as well as completing a successful transaction that will hopefully be very beneficial for Justin has been an absolute treat.
:)

Back inthe days of bucket operation, I had a bucket w/ a basket large enough that an echo w/ 12" bar would fit straight across when on the floor.

I wouldnt like the heightened sides either.

I also liked a clean floor. I hated slipping around on the sawdust. I dumped the basket almost daily.

I cant wait until the day comes I get some stuff paid off and can get me a bucket. I do a lot of window shopping on tree trader. :)

Good to hear you got home safely. Like I said above, it i would have known you were coming thru OK, I could have put you to work w/ it. Made you some pocket money to cover your fuel. Oh well, maybe next time!

Actually, I like the layer of sawdust to prevent slipping. Seems like an empty (or almost empty) bucket makes for slick and unsure footing. A good solid layer of mulch acts like a rug in the bottom of the bucket and provides cushion as well as traction. And I like the extra reach as well... ;)

Here is a pic of Brian craning out a section of Cottonwood top to the chipper.

Attachments

• CWtop_WEB.jpg
    CWtop_WEB.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 55
Back