RIP D. Douglas Dent

• Thread starter beaker
  • Start date
  • Replies 91
  • Views 11K
Dent certainly had a strong following in northwest. I can only imagine when he sat down and put pen to paper to start the Procedural Approach, he probably never knew just how far it would really go. I didn't with Fundamentals. Which needs a serious up-date. and to be done immediately after I finish the current project I'm on. Oh maybe two years I'll start it. so much has happened.

Dent's videos were for some time overdue for being redone...changes in more up to date equipment and ppe, along with much better technology for making videos of superior quality, would have brought the still completely valid methods and principles forward in a better product.

Now that will never happen, which is a shame.

His book on the other hand should remain as valuable a resource as it's ever been, I think.

Maybe this is a good point in the discussion to really encourage you to jump into the fire on a rework of your book, Jerry. Time has a disconcerting way of slipping by, doesn't it, and you have so much skill and wisdom to offer to those yet to come into this wonderful field of work, let alone the current practicioners.

If there's ever anything I could do to help you with it, you've but to ask my friend. I know the rest of the THousers feel the same.

Maybe this is a good point in the discussion to really encourage you to jump into the fire on a rework of your book, Jerry. Time has a disconcerting way of slipping by, doesn't it, and you have so much skill and wisdom to offer to those yet to come into this wonderful field of work, let alone the current practicioners.

If there's ever anything I could do to help you with it, you've but to ask my friend. I know the rest of the THousers feel the same.

YES, indeed, it would be an honor to help in what ever way possible.

Thanks, B. The up-date to fundamentals is the next iron in the fire. I know you're working on a similar project for the FS. I think we could help each other out. I just have to finish what I started. and I know what you mean by time slipping by. In the present tense, the project is slated and on schedule.

Yup, I and a few fellow technical advisory group authors/editors have been, and we're getting pretty close, all things being relative. Sure would help if funding the project didn't have to be mostly a backdoor operation, and time stolen from other work. Text is at 99%, and we're wrestling with the photos and illustrations at present. Love to visit with you further on the subject at an appropriate time for you.

I expect it will be a find work, B. Labor of love that it is.

Is the format intended strictly in house Forest Service training? Following their paradigm? Or more general? Just curious because I don't have near as many constraints as you on how I can present things.

While it's intended for use by US Forest Service instructors and climbers, it will be available as a downloadable pdf document to anyone with internet access...as is the current Tree Climbers Guide, as it is titled. But yes, this represents the approved methods, equipment specifications, and technologies we deem appropriate for our FS climbers...and that necessarily is not out at the very forefront of the field. But not old school, either...I particularly work at keeping our understanding of current state of the art up to date, and reflect that as best we can within a culture focused very closely on achieving safe operations, sometimes at the cost of some loss in maximum productivity.

This time around we are not going to print and distribute a hardcopy, it will only be digital. That way we can easily make edits and updates as changes in technology and methods evolve. We are somewhat constrained to techniques and equipment with proven track records...but what is cutting edge today will be the norm sometime hence, and we'll be best able to reflect that in an electronic document. So it will never be actually "done". At least, that's the vision we have for it.

Well, good deal, B. It sounds exciting. I can't wait to see it.

That's a pretty concise description you made, and I'm sure some of your technical expertise is going to be reflected in the book. You be proud.

Keeping it open for updating is so Wiki cool this day and age. That's what digit is so cool for. But you know?, there's nothing like a good old hard copy reference to thumb through. What's the page size if I was going to print it out?

Congratulations.

RIP Mr Dent.
My copy of Dent's "Procedural Approach' was purchased used and has the markings from when it was retired from the Mt. Baker High School library.
I doubt any high schools in this part of the East Coast have a copy in their holdings...
Looking forward to seeing your work Burnham.
BTW, do you know a Forest Service employee by the name of Dave Nicholls?

That is sad to hear about Mr. Dent, it was obvious he had the respect of nearly every professional in the field. I was only waiting for my next round of cash to purchase his book and it is a done deal now, small bit of irony.

I recently purchased Jerry's third series of videos on the advice from people here and I was very satisfied with it, learned a bunch. There were some moments when I was a bit unsure about spending the money, not being a pro, but I now consider it some of the best money I've spent. Fundamentals is high on the want list now. The videos help a lot when you are not getting the everyday opportunities to practice technique like a pro does, plus it's nice to be able to make Jerry show me the same darn thing over and over - it's literally impossible to get him annoyed in that format. I've also used them to convince others to alter their ways, a video of a pro certainly holds more weight than me telling them the same thing. I plan on gettin the rest of the series eventually too.

Well, good deal, B. It sounds exciting. I can't wait to see it.

That's a pretty concise description you made, and I'm sure some of your technical expertise is going to be reflected in the book. You be proud.

Keeping it open for updating is so Wiki cool this day and age. That's what digit is so cool for. But you know?, there's nothing like a good old hard copy reference to thumb through. What's the page size if I was going to print it out?

Congratulations.

Looking forward to seeing the FS stuff for sure B.

I'm with you Jer, in that I like a good old hard copy reference that I can page through and make my own cliff notes in. Can't wait to see the new Fundamentals book.

The FS Tree Climbers Guide will print out on 8.5"x11", and appears to be running about 100 pages total, so a duplex print will take about 50 pages...when we get the illustrations in it'll bulk up some. It'll be B&W, so printing a copy for a desk reference and to scribble on shouldn't be to onerous for folks who want it that way...and I would, for sure.

Me too:)

I'm really looking forward to seeing it, Burnham.

IMO the greatest thing about the internet is that it makes spreading information so easy.

When I took up woodturning, there were no teachers in Denmark, since the art was practically dead.

I had to teach myself using books ordered from abroad at a great price.

I had turned for maybe 8 years before i saw another turner working.

That was the great English turner Bert Marsch ( look him up on the net:)) and i was amazed to see that he did stuff exactly the way I had taught myself, only WAY better.

Today, if you want to learn how to turn, there is a million free videos on the net.

Same with treework.

Dent doing a C-Faller cert.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WVdWa4jCJaQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back