RIP D. Douglas Dent

• Thread starter beaker
  • Start date
  • Replies 91
  • Views 11K
Another icon in the industry passes. He was progressive throughout his career, breaching the gap between just working the trade, and evolving further to teaching it. My hats off to Mr. D

There's not a snowball's chance in hell.

On the other hand, NiceGuyDave would have a real shot at getting some of that business, and Greg/klimbinfool.

Jerry B., if he wanted to pursue it, would be a logical source for that type of training/certification.

That was a good thought Burnam. If he had survived debilitated by a stroke, That would have been a living hell for a man like him or many of us here.

RIP Mr. D

I see...well, thanks. But the FS will want an outside contractor with a track record...like the safety training company Dave and Greg and those guys have had running for a while. Or a published and recognized expert in the field, like Jerry.

I have neither. Within the agency, I have no particular standing or recognition as a sawyer/trainer, unlike my work in the climbing program...there, it's a different situation for me.

I'd love to spend a week or more with you B so I could sponge up some info, for what that's worth!

Of course we could write letters of recommendation for Burnham, start a campaign after the dust from the recent unfortunate development clears.

As Gerry said D was way ahead of his time in recognizing the need for training. My interactions with the man left a bad memory for many years. But as time went on it turned out he was right. The 212 program is what it is in large because of his contribution. That being the best training program for cutters.
As to who will fill the void? I lay money that Miss Downhill at Northwest Timber Fallers is already circling in for the kill on that issue.

RIP old man. Many of us still walk to this day because of the basic skills you helped instill in us.

As Gerry said D was way ahead of his time in recognizing the need for training. My interactions with the man left a bad memory for many years. But as time went on it turned out he was right. The 212 program is what it is in large because of his contribution. That being the best training program for cutters.
As to who will fill the void? I lay money that Miss Downhill at Northwest Timber Fallers is already circling in for the kill on that issue.

RIP old man. Many of us still walk to this day because of the basic skills you helped instill in us.

I thought they were defunct these days. I know they lost some of their best cutters at the least. Are you guys going to apply at least?

Setting the price so darn high on training videos makes it difficult for the younger people to glean the knowledge base. I thought $80 was kind of high for my videos, but the marketing guys said it was still a third of the cost of most out there. So I let them set the price at what it is. And it's been good, and made the years of making them well worth the while.

I would like to see some of Mr. D's videos, but I'm not going to spend that much money for something that is not going to do me all that much good.

I sure like his book though.

Jer: Yours are appropriately priced and well worth it. I'm just about to order another working climber series. (The one with the "Folding Tree")

I would imagine that Jerry probably gave so much information away for free over the years, that suddenly charging a high amount would seem out of character.

Back