Rigging Whole Trees With the GRCS

We use that setup quite a bit, and it really comes in handy in the right situations. We use a dedicated spliced line to put the block on for the false anchor. Nice video Nick.

I have been rigging the hell out of my GRCS. It has made life much easier in tight quarters. Nice video Nick!

Well done, Nick.
Animation diagrams were excellent.
Have used my capstan winch as lower cost GRCS substitute for similar work with no complaints.

Same here, Pelorus. I used my Simpson capstan winch to suspend an appx 90 foot bitter cherry, and once to swing a twin stemmed alder up and off a house. However, I had modified my Simpson for bi-directional use, that is, for lifting first, then lowering. It isn't designed for such an application. As well, the capstan is too small, and is prone to hockling the wraps.

As I've had both a GRCS and Hobbs since 2004, I've not needed the Simpson for such use for years.

And, several times, I've rigged down huge storm trees as Nick has shown, up to 36" dbh and 160 feet tall! Clearly well above the capacity of the GRCS or Hobbs, at least for lifting. So you have to make repeated salami cuts low to the ground, until weights are within a range of manageability.

The animation is a good idea, it makes it all clear.

How did you get the bull line attatched to the tree to be removed, climb it or from the ground?

Nice work in the wet weather.

Murph where did you get the avatar/logo, I kinda like it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes. Same as letting go. There is danger everywhere. Proper training, and execution is key, that's for sure.

We didn't design the GRCS, we use it as cautiously a possible. Our newer version does have the pigtails, but it wasn't available.

Yes. Same as letting go. There is danger everywhere. Proper training, and execution is key, that's for sure.

We didn't design the GRCS, we use it as cautiously a possible. Our newer version does have the pigtails, but it wasn't available.

Not saying it was dangerous, just that it LOOKED dangerous... often depends on the skill and experience of the crew.. It just LOOKS like it would be a little too easy to make a mistake in that situation.. as long as people aren't in the DZ, I'd be OK with it.. otherwise I wouldn't feel comfortable with it..

Well done Nick, looks much better in 1080p! :D
Very good job on the narration and animation(almost no clicking sounds at all ;)). :thumbupold:
The only GRCS I've ever seen is on videos, looks like an extremely useful piece of gear.

It probably won't make much sense but, as a young boy I grew up on farms(mostly)and we had pigs
from time to time and I knew for sure what a "pig tail" was. Being a newbie, when I look at a GRCS
and I hear it's got no "pig tail" I have no idea what that is..... :|::?:lol:
Sorry, I couldn't help myself. It was the first thought I had when I read the comment..... :P :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
url]

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=197&item=1007#

See the curly fairlead .. pigtail.
The wraps on the winch can bind up easily and on the older model the side fairleads are useless. They automatically bind the rope up with more than a half wrap.

The newer model with the pigtails fairleads the rope at the end of the winch drum. Its a huge improvement. You might be able to see the fairleads on our old model. They are two opposing L shapes.

I see it, curly fairlead=pigtail, I get it now. Thanks! :D
That does look like a better design than the older model. :thumbup:

I just wouldn't feel safe without using a pig tail.. especially with those long pieces.. it takes about two seconds for ALL the wraps to come off if you hold the rope in the wrong position, out past the winch. and the rope will fold over itself and lock up if you hold it too far the other way... its a valuable and fun technique... good job on the teaching vid Nick, and you don't really NEED a GRCS to pull it off.. I get concerned with cambium damage so try to avoid using the GRCS on live trees. Put a porty on the truck hitch or mini and use a redirect if needed, which is rare. Mostly a porty on the tree will do.

Nice vid Nick, another excellent tool for the mental toolbox.
Over the years I've been pricing out those Harkin winches at the marine retailers, hoping to build my own custom GRCS. Even took the measurements of a GRCS mounting plate at a rigging course years back.
But what I'm most interested in is a large 3 speed Harkin hydraulic powered model. Mount that puppy on the back of my chipper trailer and teed into the hydraulics, then have a serious handy tool at my disposal.
If the tree is in direct line of the winch even at a distance a 3 ton block can be mounted to the base then redirect the rope up into the tree. The winch operator then is working at a safe distance away.
Only thing I'm not sure about having not tested it yet is sensitive winch control with a hydraulic control lever

Back