Restart trouble with 064

I've never seen an aluminum key in a saw engine but I'm sure there are some .Most times they use shear keys in an application such as a lawnmower engine that were if they hit something the key would shear causing the engine to go out of time rather than continue running.

Ha I have to laugh at the amount of those mowers I've worked on that the only thing wrong with them was a sheared key .People swear up and down it's the carb . About 20 minutes to pull the flywheel ,install a 29 cent shear key and go finish mowing the yard .Watch out for that root now else you'll be bringing it back to me .:lol:

I had an old lawn mower given to me. Guy that used to own it told me not to waste my time on it, as it had bent the crank when it hit something and sheared the flywheel key. Turns out it had hit something solid and put a big ding in the blade. He had just sharpened the ding side. A bunch of grinding on the other side to bring it back into balance-no vibration.

Yeah I manage to get freebies all the time,mowers ,saws .I've given both away at times .Damned though nobody has tossed either an 064 or 066 my way as of yet .:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't hold your breath on it happening this time either, Al :D.

Woe is me...didn't even get the chance to work with the recalcitrant 064 this weekend. Priorities dictated working on the replacement woodshed instead. Soon, though.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Ha probabley not .I don't get too excited about this stuff any more .Given enough time one will pop up on the cheap .

Those priorities pop up too .Given enough time eventually I'll get my sawmill done providing I live long enough .

My fine wife was absolutely right when she patiently observed that it's doubtful I'll need the 064 for maybe months, whilst the rain is falling on 4+ cords of firewood as I rebuild the woodshed :D.

The half of it that's already cured is under tarps, for sure. Nothing beats a solid woodshed, though. Nicer to look at off the back deck or living room picture windows, too.

Burnham, you could ship that old, dead saw to me and I'll be glad to look at it for ya. Might take me a while but I'm sure I'd eventually get it running again. ;)

Husky has at least one model where the aluminum key is part of the flywheel. Rev the engine up and slam on the chain brake and the key will shear off.

Such a fine, helpful young man, is my friend Brian. But I wouldn't dream of imposing on your generous spirit in such a thoughtless way.
:D

Last edited:
But at least I haven't lost it to some thievin' tree rodent...those rascals have to be watched close, ya know :/:.

:lol:

You could send it to me Burnham, not only would I fix it, I'd actually ship it back, I've no desire to run that beast anymore!

They aren't that bad providing the bod is functioning correctly .Now if you had a bad back or shoulders I'd imagine the thing could beat you up pretty badly .

If you send it to me, I'll let some geisha touch it before sending it back. You'd be running an exotic 064.

Most saws have a alu key today. It is just for guiding, so it is good enough. Tension from nut on to the cone is what hold it.
If it is on or of really doesn't matter except for position. If you wish to tinker with timing, this is a good way.

If it is really clean it will sit very hard!

I've heard of slipping with the key sheared off and only tightening down on the cone. A little abrasive like toothpaste between the cone and the tapered flywheel hole will hold it more secure. It might not slip during normal cutting, but engage the chain brake during high rpms and see what happens. That is usually the cause of the chintzy aluminum keys shearing in the first place.

There are several methods to adjust the timing, probabley an offset key is the most simple .I've milled out the slot in the coil but you have to move the thing quite a bit to gain a few degrees .With an off set it's just a few thousenths of an inch to get the same results .

FWIW one of my 125 Macs which came from northern California and obviously an old growth faller has an offset key . Evidently some time in the late 70's early 80's they liked to pep them up a tad bit too .I never timed it but I imagine it's 3-4 degrees advanced which should put it at around 29-30 degrees advance over the stock 26 .

Back