Husky battery saw trouble shooting?

canadianclimber

TreeHouser
I have the 536li xp saw. My 3rd season with it and love it. The only issue I've had with it is the battery not fully connecting itself to the saw at times. Occasionally I have to really push hard or even slam it into the saw. Anyone else have this issue? Know of a fix? Whats your cleaning process for the battery slot on the saw?

Welcome! Sounds like a connection problem(duh). I don't have the saw, but I've been fighting with batteries since the 90s. Cleaning with alcohol and/or white vinyl pencil erasers depending on access helps. You might need to bend the electric connectors to get firmer contact. Clean all battery guiderails and clips so it's plastic-plastic everywhere.

edit:
Shimming cases/latches may help also depending on design.

edit2:
Ignore the welcome, or not. I blame early onset senility :^/

From the electronics world there's a product called DeOxit which is a solvent clean to get grease and mung off but it's also a chemistry type cleaner that dissolves corrosion on the metal contacts. One version is just cleaner, the other leaves behind silicone lube for scratchy potentiometers. Let it sit wet for bit.

Because it dissolves corrosion I've also used it to penetrate rusty or corroded bolts. I figure it gets in there and softens a bit of the corrosion in the threads.

Model train guys have gritty erasers to scrub the rails with. All tools help at some time. Hobby shop. Maybe there's some chemistry magic in the rubber too because the white eraser darkens after you clean something with it.

You have to read the ingredients. Most electronics cleaners are just solvent. Deoxit is the only one with the corrosion dissolving component.

I dont have a battery saw but this is one thing that you could check to see if it's a problem. the connection points on the battery or on the saw, sometimes the metal pieces rely on pressure for the connection and over time they become less tight. And cause intermittent connection, you might be able to slightly bend back to the original shape if you think that could be the issue.

Careful with that, some just want to brake off if we try to bend them. I don't know about these ones in particular.

I have the 536li xp saw. My 3rd season with it and love it. The only issue I've had with it is the battery not fully connecting itself to the saw at times. Occasionally I have to really push hard or even slam it into the saw. Anyone else have this issue? Know of a fix? Whats your cleaning process for the battery slot on the saw?

Did you get this worked out? What do you figure it was, if so?

I'm not that impressed with the Husky latches. Mine frequently unlatch one notch while climbing around and disconnect from power needing me to slam it home again and turn power back on. All of my climbing battery saws have cordage around the battery housing so that if the battery comes all the way out it will not fall out of saw.

536i was where I started out in the Husky batt lineup. (Maybe I had a 535i first?) If you haven't run a 540i XP you may well want to try one. Coupled with the newer style x battery that delivers more power more quickly it feels like running a high end gas top handle saw when the chain is newish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I gave the battery housing a good cleaning. This kinda helped but the unlatching still happens. I plan to put a strap around the battery as well. Just incase. I plan on getting the 540 this season as well.

Back