Rborist!

vermeer has a track model. more stable in my opinion than tires. a friend of mine has a tire model and has put his on the side 3-4 times. I have yet to tip mine. maybe its the way he uses his (carelessly). though tracks might do a bit more turf damage, im glad i have them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We were going to outfit them with duals, like the small stump grinders. That way it would only take 2 minutes to go from wide to narrow.

Which tires were you going to go dual with? It's my understanding that the narrow tires aren't 'turf' tires but a lug style either air or solid? Would it be much of a pita just to have two sets and changeover to the narrow when needed? I mean narrow to wide we're talking a six inch difference I'd think most of the time I'd get by fine with 42" but only the odd time need the 36"?

Cool thanks Brian. What I'm wondering though is with the standard 42" width on the ramrod you can get 'turf' tires which aren't very agressive but as a single set look like they'd be real easy on lawns and as I said would work fine for me most of the time. So with duals I'm assuming it's two sets of the 'skinny' tires which have more of a lug pattern and according to Ramrod's website can come either solid or air. So that's why I'm wondering about either having two seperate sets as most of the time the 42" width with turf tires would be fine but I would like the ability to get down to that 36" width if need be, but I don't nescessarily want to be running more agressive duals most of the time. That's why I'm asking here trying to cypher the ultimate tire set-up for a 950 Ramrod.

I understand that it would be much easier to just bolt on and off a dual style set-up but am concerned with lawn damage that the dual tires might cause. I'm sure for normal driving it's more contact area so less psi, but I'm more wondering about turning with the dual set-up, will it tear up lawns?

Ok here's a pic of the available tires I hope it's big enough. The 'turf tire' are the standard tires for the machine and there website says they are 8"s wide. With these tires the machine is 42"s wide. The narrow tires are 4"s wide and give the machine a overall width of 36"s. The rim offset must be different or something as you would think it ould make the machine 8"s skinnier but apparently it's only 6"s. You can see in the pic the difference in tread design. I don't think I would want to be cruising around all the time with the skinny tires on?

Of those 4, the turf tires would be the easiest on grass. The solution is just to bid extra on any backyard job with limited access, enough to hire somebody to hump the wood out of the back yard.

Ok I've double checked my e-mails and have a correction to make the 4" tires are available to make the machine 32"s wide however that works and apparently there are 6" wide tires which make the machine 36"s wide. I've got to find out what style the 6" wide ones are. Still any help advice for fingering this out would be apreciated. It's past the speculation stage now just got to iron out the final details :D .

Dave Mr. TopNotch if you're coming on here at all check your pm's eh!

Squishy, just get the 8 inch turf tyres. really... how often do you need to be 36" wide? if its regular, get the 6 inch tyres. we ran the 905's on 6"ers and the 950 on 8 inchers.

Ok I can get 6" or 8" turf tires on the 950. The 6" will apparently put me 36" wide? The 8" 42"s wide, however that works out? I'm assuming there must be some differences in rim offset?

Also I'm wondering do all the new BMG's come with a bollard or does it have to be ordered that way?

The wider stance will give you much more stability on slopes. How much of your work is on sloped areas vs back yards behind 36" gates?

And around here, we look for alternative access if necessary. It's not hard to remove an 8' fence panel giving you plenty of access for those big jobs.

Yah I'm leaning towards the 8" tires. Just trying to get the proper set-up the first time round.

yes justin, mine came with the bollard and i didnt ask for it so must be a new standard

Indeed it is standar, as well as the dogs under the heeling plate.

I'd go for the 8"ers, that's what I'm running and it's rarely an issue.

Yah I'm going with the standard set-up which will make the machine 42"s wide. I beleive I'll be able to live with that and I don't want to be overly tippy, when I'm learning and get ramming with it I don't want to be flopping to easy.:D

Brendon has rolled his once, I'm on my 4th I believe, about 250 hours I've put on the machine making for nearly 300 total.

No real damage thus far, the muffler is a bit dinged, but otherwise....

A GRCS makes a handy tool for rolling them back over when you can't get a truck to them.

Good choice with the standard 42" IMO. Indeed I did tip it once, almost shat myself too. Any skinnier than 42" I personally think there will be problems. I've had lots of close calls that would have been flops if I was skinnier.

Good luck, they are fun!

Last edited:
:D Well ships late this week or early next week, thanks y'all for all of the advice.:D

Squish,

get your tires filled with foam, otherwise plan to pack 3 or 4 spares with you.

Back