rattlewedge

Yeah, that's what I thought. It seems like it might increase the chances of barberchairing if used on a leaner.

We're only talking sections here, and straight, balanced ones at that...not whole trees. No need on a head leaner...and I'd not want to do it on a back leaning section either.

:lol: That whole "cartoon sized wood" disclaimer cracks me up. What exactly is "cartoon sized wood" anyway? I don't think I've ever cut cartoon wood before. Is it pretty brittle like cottonwood?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
rattlewedge = boat anchor................:cry:

I use my line tamer, about twice per year.....

to strip old line of my fishing reels.

Ive always thought itd be cool to have a full sized line tamer. One that could bag 1/2" line. Make it out of a cordless drill and some customized roller skate wheels.

I talked to a guy that has used one of these. He works for the local college. He loves it for knocking 10-12 foot chunks off. Uses it out of a bucket most of the time.

If you're in a bucket, why not just reach over and pull up on that little control lever after you've made your cut? That raises up the bucket where you can just push the top of the log with your other hand. EZPZ. I'll have the next chunk cut while he's still farting around with that stupid rattlewedge.
:roll:

I was just sayin that I talked to a guy that has used one. From the way it sounds anytime a new piece of gear comes out they buy it, even if they don't know how to use it. :D Im with ya on just booming up and shoving it over.

Line Tamer- A lot of arborists have bought and enjoyed having this product. I might NOT have originally brought it into our catalog if not for a long and respectable list of arborists contacting me directly to ask that we include arborist Ed Bingle's product idea. None on that list had anything to gain beyond wanting to make a cool product accessible to tree bro's. I'm certain that like a lot of tools, some will embrace, while others will not. Unfortunately, based on the small size of the tree care market Sherrill has not been able to convince any manufacturer to invest in the tooling required to make an improved version just for arborists.

Rattle Wedge- In review of Bryan's drawings and my text I see no mention that the product "is a must for every job" or situation, nor is it described as a replacement for wedges ...or Master's guns. It's simply being offered as another tool for arborist's who have, on occasion, voiced frustration about the lack of tools specifically for their profession, not to mention the interest in seeing comrades products brought to market. I can't tell if each of you have tried and don't like the performance of the RW, or are slamming it based on armchair opinion or that homemade video on RW's site (shot on what appears to me "the most convenient location of the day" by the inventor). Has nobody here watched a demonstration performed in a location that made no sense of the technique's necessity? Sadly though, based on Jim L's response, perhaps one of the few actual user-reports in this mix is being shoved under the bus. Where's the love on this site?

Jerry's observation is on target, the taper is acute, leading the operator to require a lot of "gun" on mammoth wood (not cartoon wood), therefor "the note."

Around 1985 Tut (dad) and I (25yo then) took on the same spiral log splitter that no_bivy spoke of early in the thread. Reminded me of the same thing when i saw it. BTW-Biv, this was about the year that Nixon melted the ice on China so that my competitors (and the list is long) might eventually apply enough pressure to foul this business.

"Cartoon wood": tree parts and catalog pages larger than 2.5 inches (see pg 52)

"If man descended from monkeys and apes, why are there still monkeys and apes?" George Carlin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Around 1985 Tut (dad) and I (25yo then) took on the same spiral log splitter that no_bivy spoke of early in the thread. Reminded me of the same thing when i saw it. BTW-Biv, this was about the year that Nixon melted the ice on China so that my competitors (and the list is long) might eventually apply enough pressure to foul this business.
QUOTE]

I dont get your pont.......china sucks? or just knock off shat?....what do you mean foul your biz?

For those following this thread I have nothing against foreign countries or the many hard working people that make up their populations, they're often little different from those of us populating North America. And for the record; SherrillTree has not copied patent or trademark-protected products without agreed upon compensation to inventors. This is verifiable fact, that anyone should research before boasting false claims that impress only the narrow-minded.

To clarify my earlier point, a number of other logger/arborist supply houses are currently offering products made in the specific locations of China and/or low cost labor countries. Long before i even knew about it, most of our favorites had already instigated it! And indeed, ignoring high quality foreign made goods for too long has proven the death of a number of American retailers, a number too large to list.

For the writer or two intent on tossing stones about non-American made products, perhaps you'd care to reflect on the make up of your own labor pool, or the labels on your favorite electronic goods, or the shopping habits of your own. You too might just recall the foreign worker (legal of course) hungry enough to out-sweat a few locals.

Enough said. Off to find something else constructive...

Wow. You bring a lot of pessimism and negative vibes to the treehouse, Toby. Your tone is almost as if you're trying to provoke an argument or something. But I doubt you'll get it here, we're a pretty mild bunch and we try to maintain a certain level of respect amongst ourselves. I'm sorry you think we're a bunch of assholes.

But you must have more important things to do than instigate arguments with tree guys on the internet. I'm guessing you might be running late for that important meeting or something. See ya later, hurry back. ;)

So you're calling him out as an instigator serves what purpose?

Easy up on the poor fella eh? Let him feel the TH vibe, I remember a time when some weren't as graceful in the past.

I don't see myself buying a rattle wedge but it does bother me to see folks smacked down for trying. Innovation requires failures, lots of them. If folks are trying to make things better, don't knock them.

Back