Random Pics that you have taken

• Thread starter RIVERRAT
  • Start date
  • Replies 182
  • Views 14K
142406282_SPY7j-L.jpg

same boater - following week - with hand paddle - running a class 4 river

I love this spiderweb/dewdrop picture (it's Blinky/Chip's, not mine)...I was playing with it, thought this was cool. It's simply the negative version of it. I do like the original better though. :)

Burnham, what's the story behind the winched up fish?

Attachments

• NEG_DROPS.jpg
    NEG_DROPS.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 54
Burnham, what's the story behind the winched up fish?

Tomfoolery, Che...as you might suspect :).

For 5 or 6 years in the early 2000's I worked with the USFS fish bios on a project to place salmon carcasses into anadromous streams by helicopter. The carcasses came from several local fish hatcheries, after the eggs and milt had been harvested to fertilize, hatch, and raise smolts for release. The general idea was that a missing piece of the puzzle in restoring salmon runs was the lack of large numbers of dead spawned out adult fish in the river system. Those carcasses feed a large variety of aquatic life forms, many of which are in turn fed on by the young salmon hatchlings (the wild ones, not the hatchery stock). So by putting the carcasses in the streams the idea was to help young salmon survive.

My job was to operate a rotator head forklift to load carcasses in a big bucket with a drop valve in the bottom. The helio set the bucket down, hovering overhead, I'd drive in and tip 800 pounds of very dead fish into the bucket. Then the ship would fly down a stream course dumping carcasses.

That fish in winch pic resulted after one of the bios did some dissections for some reason that I forget...and some jokester stuck the tail in my winch fairlead.

I snapped the pic...it usually gets a laugh :|:.

You have no idea how nasty a refer trailer full of 2-months-dead salmon in 4'x4'x3' plastic totes can get...:O

Yeach, chum! saw something like that on the t.v. show 'Dirty jobs'. I think they were loading traps with chum for crab or lobster.

bio-dry in the fish plant was pretty nasty. we auger all the fish guts, heads, etc up into large hoppers. when they got full we call the dump truck and hed back under the hopper and open the bottom, kersplop! into the truck and down the road hed go

Thanks Burnham. That pic and the fork look like the type you'd see on snopes with a dozen or two 'descriptions'. :lol:

"So by putting the carcasses in the streams the idea was to help young salmon survive."

Did it help?

I used to wind the town clock in Hillsborough, NC...

ClockCupola.jpg
ClockMech_3.jpg

The mechanism is late 18th century, made in England...
ClockMech_7.jpg

Two 900# weights have to be cranked up 20' every 7 seven days, the pendulum is 12' long...
ClockMech_8.jpg

It has four dials that have to stay synchronized... that was the weak point in the mech...
ClockMech_2.jpg

Thanks Burnham. That pic and the fork look like the type you'd see on snopes with a dozen or two 'descriptions'. :lol:

"So by putting the carcasses in the streams the idea was to help young salmon survive."

Did it help?

Some say yes, some say no; I think the half-dozen years was too short a time period for anyone to know...in the end it was determined that the high cost of the annual project was failing in the "bang for buck" analysis. Spending the $$ on habitat improvements now...who knows, sometimes I think there may be a problem with short attention spans in that crowd. Lack of long term commitment to get on a program and stick with it long enough to allow the benefits to develop.

2009 Dodge Challenger
Nice muscle car and 30MPG. I would buy this if I had money to throw around. Comes in a 6 speed manual option about 40 grand

Attachments

• arnell11.jpg
    arnell11.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 3
  • arnell15.jpg
    arnell15.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 3
  • arnell4.jpg
    arnell4.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 3
Damm, I am sorry. Forgot what thread I was in. Delete at will Boss, I will endeavor to be more careful.

Back