Questions Regarding GVWR and Combo Weights

Let's see if this makes sense to anyone... The football team is flying from OKC to Waco, TX on Friday. I'm driving empty from OKC to Waco to meet them at the Waco airport and provide their local transportation to the football game on Saturday night. Then I take them back to the Waco airport so they can fly back to OKC. I then drive back to OKC empty.

Yes, they are paying for air AND bus transportation to the same location. It's a 4 & 1/2 hour drive. They just don't want to sit on a bus that long.

It depends on the state, but the door sticker means precious little here. Here it's registered weight and tire capacity up to bridge law. As far as I know, there is no requirement for a door sticker, and besides that, it's generally a hand written sticker by the truck's outfitter.

For example my 550 is registered for 20k, is "stickered" for 17.5k, has tires for 22.5k, and has the axles and suspension for 19.5k. 20k is what matters, unless I go over bridge law.

It's a K restriction if you didn't take the air brake portion.

Dennis, ya lucky bugger, you have 2 hobbies that pay, tree work and the bus! Me on the other hand only have bad habits that cost a lot of money!!!:D

Dennis, do I gotta remind you what you get when you cross a turtle with a jackass? A dispatcher with a hardhat on!!!

Dennis, do I gotta remind you what you get when you cross a turtle with a jackass? A dispatcher with a hardhat on!!!

Ha.

I would share that with the dispatchers, but they are all female except for one guy. They are always REALLY nice cause they can't make the part time drivers take a trip. They can only ask if you WANT to go.

They do occasionally have to force out a full time driver. That would suck.

Whats really scary to see is a King B fuel tanker with a tandem converter and a tri axle pup. All pulled with a tandem drive day cab! Talk about something that looks like the tail waggin' the dog!

We are flirtin' with tri-drive tractor units here now. No good highways and all that weight, something is gonna go real wrong.

You mean like the 8 axle log haulers that are all over here now. They're currently developing a new 'hitch' here to try and be able to go 100% axle weights.

Carl mentioned the bridge laws, I crossed back into Canuckistan through Bonner's Ferry one time, I had to get a permit , then shorten the bridge to the front hole on a 53' wagon. It was still a hair too long. I sure wouldn't want a shorter wheel base truck, mine was 244".

I used to drive a tour bus. I hated it. I'm not good with directions, and gps's were few and far between.

Worst day I had doing it was driving past a weight station (by accident), and getting pulled over. The staties were REALLY ANGRY and chewed me out in front of all my passengers. Young and dumb, that's what I was. My passengers felt bad for me, and some even cussed out the cops for being such dicks.

Glad I got away from that - but I do still have a "P" endorsement, maybe someday I'll do it again. Kinda fun driving those huge things, and the dvd and speakers are pretty cool (when they work).

I once stood on a Greyhound bus for several hundred miles. It surprised me that they did that, and THAT was my LAST BUS RIDE.

Yup; the DOT could care less what you registered it at. If it's tagged over CDL on the door, you better be rolling with a Class B. :(

Heres a reply from ODOT
Hello Willie,

Thank you for using our online services. You may register the vehicle at
22,000 lbs, but the CDL requirement is based off the manufacturers GVWR
so it would still require a CDL driver license to legally operate.

If you have any questions or need additional assistance please feel free
to contact our office at 503-945-5400.

Thank you,

Colleen
Customer Assistance
Oregon Department of Transportation
Driver and Motor Vehicle Services
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314

Is that your way of saying I was right without saying I was right? :lol:

Back