Questions Regarding GVWR and Combo Weights

mccauleytree

TreeHouser
Hey guys not sure if this is the right forum or not but I have some questions on a truck that I might be purchasing in the next few days here and was hoping someone could help me. The questions are about the GVWR of an F800 truck since I am having a hard time understandin the laws. The truck's GVWR is 25,000 lbs so I know that is under CDL now where I get confused is the combination weight of the truck and chipper. My chipper weighs right around 7500lbs so that does not require a CDL either, but the combo of the truck and chipper would be 32,500. Since my combination weight is over 26,001lbs would I need my CDL for the truck and chipper even though my chipper weights under 10k? Sorry about the long post I am just having a hard time understanding the laws.

It depends on the state. If I were you I would call the state capital or the state police and found out directly. Here in Illinois the chipper is exempt from the total combination, it is considered agricultural.

The F800 doesn't weigh 25K lbs, that is the maximum amount it is registered to carry. It's probably 12K-13K lbs empty depending on the wheelbase and weight of the bed and accessories.

You are facing the same dilemma as every other tree company who uses big heavy chippers. First thing is I would up the registered weight to 25,999 lbs (they will let you declare that when you get the tag). It won't cost any more and gives you another thousand pounds of legal capacity. If you declare over 26K lbs then you need a Class B license and the tags are more expensive. If you declare under 26K then you will likely be overweight with a full load of chips plus the chipper. Most companies just chance it and try to minimize their exposure on the roads with a full load plus chipper. Having another vehicle to haul the chipper back to the yard while the big truck goes to dump is a possible option. A lot of it boils down to the level of enforcement in your area. If you have a lot of DOT dicks who target working trucks then it can get expensive fast. They especially like to go after the guys in the F350s pulling the 12K dump trailers, since a trailer over 10K requires a Class A regardless of the tow vehicle and 99% of them don't have it.

Look inside the drivers door to find the manufacturer's GVWR. My f700 is around 28k GVWR so I think yours will require a CDL. It may be registered at 25k but that is strictly for tax purposes. If the Manufacturer's GVWR were 25k then your scenario would be no, you would not need a CDL

Yup; the DOT could care less what you registered it at. If it's tagged over CDL on the door, you better be rolling with a Class B. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup; the DOT could care less what you registered it at. If it's tagged over CDL on the door, you better
be rolling with a Class B. :(

I did not realize that until now thanks for the heads up on that one. I am going to have to check the door tag to make sure its under CDL.

Or save your pennies and go get your Class B. It will pay for itself hundreds of times over during your working career.

Class A: Combination in excess of 26,000 with the trailer in excess of 10,000
Class B: Single or combination in excess of 26,000 with a trailer up to 10,000
Class C: Commercial vehicle i.e. one with hazmat placards, not in excess of 26,000
Class D: Any single or combination up to 26,000. Trailer can be in excess of 10,000

These are the Fed regs, which are a safe guideline.

What do you guys have to do for air brakes? Is there a stipulation?

You're restricted to vehicles w/o air brakes if you don't take and pass the air brake test.

Our system is a little different Class 1-5then there are the endorsements (M-motorcyle, A-airbrakes.....). I have a Class 1 with an M A endorsement. There are only a couple things I can't drive, rockies, and a school bus. And who the hell would want to drive those anyways?:/:

When I got mine, air brakes were a separate endorsement. At some point they quit putting the air brake endorsement on my license and when I asked about it, they said that all Class A and B licenses include the air brakes now.

At one point I was going to take a part time job as a limo/bus driver and got my passenger endorsement. I never took the job but I've kept that endorsement for the last 10 years. Maybe I'll become a bus driver as my retirement job after I can no longer cut trees. ;)

Sqwishy, rockies are multiple trailers (excluding super and king B's) usually 3 53' trailers! They are usually restricted to divided highways between 7PM and 7AM.

Yup I would take some serious ponies to climb the rock pile with a rockie!!!! They are usually only seen between Calgary and Winterpeg!

Back