Power Inverters - Am I The Only One?

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
Anyone else use them when the power goes? And I'm not addressing the people who use generators, of course. Ya'll are another category altogether.

I use a 700/1400 inverter and so far it's worked out great. The last time I hooked it up to my pimpmobile which had a deep cycle battery and a 130 amp alternator. It powered a 13" TV, my computer, a fan, and a 60 watt bulb with great success.
I would crank the car every hour or so for 10 - 15 minutes. I was worried about draining the battery. Supposedly there's low battery protection that will shut the inverter down before it drains ALL the juice. So, doing all this seemed to work fine and it didn't drain my battery.
My concern now is my Silverado's battery. It's not deep cycle and my alternator is stock. I'm considering buying a nice marine battery with 4 posts to make inverter hook up easier and hopefully it will handle the stress I'm gonna put it through.

Any of ya'll have any experience/advice for me?

I have a 1500 watt inverter to run lights in case of a power outage. I keep a marine battery fully charged on hand. If power is out for a long time, I hook up my 5000 watt generator to the generator transfer switch at my house to run the refrigerator, freezer etc. If power goes out during the day and it is not cloudy, I have a 1500 watt photovoltaic system that will run most of the basic stuff. During the brightest part of the day my electric meter runs backwards. My PV system puts out between 8-9KW of power per day. It has been a big help in lowering my electricity costs. I have 9 PV panels right now and would like to get another 9.

Get the marine battery, but hook up a solar panel instead of running it off your car. this will keep the battery topped up nicely during the day, and you should get 4 - 5 hours use at night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for posting. I'm assuming you're in that other category. But good to read you!

I'm curious about Wesley's solar setup. Can you post some more details, such as manufacturer, availability and cost? Might not help much in the 48 hours you're under a hurricane but it could help me out a lot.

Butch, I'd at least go for the deep cycle battery. Maybe even two.

You're forgetting that hurricanes usually have a cloud or two.
and a hint o wind...

we dont lose power here in the city, at least not in the last 6 years. My parents lose it usually a few times a year, for a few hours to a few days. Pops has considered getting a generator but nothing serious, they just fire up a few candles and the coleman stove or bbq. if it was me, I would likely have a 1500-2500kw generator in the shed to keep the perishables safe and keep at least one room warm in inclement weather which is more of an issue than keeping the TV running for us.

As for inverters, I have considered one for camping purpose but again, not seriously enough to research them.

We normally get spring and fall winds which knock powerlines down, winter snow doesnt usually do any more than lose power due to a car running over a power pole kind of thing, not a week long recovery.

Last edited:
I would like to know more about the solar panels. We have a small generator. Looking into getting a pto powered one. And having the house wired so it plugs right in.

I'm curious about Wesley's solar setup. Can you post some more details, such as manufacturer, availability and cost?

I would like to know more about the solar panels. We have a small generator. Looking into getting a pto powered one. And having the house wired so it plugs right in.

Lets stay on topic for once, people. This thread is about INVERTERS.

two batteries? can you wire them in series or parallel to keep the cycle stronger or the power duration longer?

I know a buddy had two batteries in his old ford diesel that I constantly had to pull with my geo tracker to bump start it.... (it was a standard and didnt seem to charge either battery).

You are talking about a static inverter,changes DC to Ac by use of SCR's and gate circuits .

They work fine but have limited sizes unless you want to shell out the bucks .

Two batteries in parrallel will just give you a longer run time .For what it's worth my folks motor home has three . I just replaced them at 64 bucks a pop .

A solar battery charger doesn't put out a lot of power but it's consistant and for all intents free . If the batteries go low for some reason just hook up a set of jumper cables and charge them off your truck ,easy as pie .;)

I would also recommend getting 2 batteries. If I run my inverter using CFLs to light up the house, about 100-150 watts total, the 750CCA marine battery only lasts about 8 hours. The low battery warning comes on and the inverter shuts off. The Honda EU2000 or 3000 series generators are real nice, only 58 db. We don't lose power that often here, but I am still thinking of picking up another battery, although I could take the one in my dump trailer or run it off the truck.

I would be limited to old school here. my BBQ for cooking, a windup flashlight, a windup radio, a few battery operated flashlights and a hand pump water filter for a real emerg. enough canned food and beverages to last at least a week or more.

An inverter really wouldnt help me I dont think as my pickup and the wifes car are down in the parkade, nowhere near our front door, unless I could haul the batteries up here and hookem'up.

the only serious major disaster we would face around here is earthquake. Hurricanes like what you get dont happen up here. My fear is earthquake and the lack of access to my provisions due to structure failure.

What do we need power for? Perishable foods can hold their own for a couple days, if it's bad (more than a couple days) we can borrow a generator to keep the food, or, eat it :)

once my little deep freeze dies it aint gonna last a few days, thats for sure. throw a sleeping bag over it and start cooking the chicken! or lose a couple hundred bucks worth (between the fridge, freezer and the little deep freezer) of meat and the like.

once my little deep freeze dies it aint gonna last a few days, thats for sure. throw a sleeping bag over it and start cooking the chicken! or lose a couple hundred bucks worth (between the fridge, freezer and the little deep freezer) of meat and the like.

Hence the origin/rationale of a Hurricane Party! :beer:

Back