Power Inverters - Am I The Only One?

it might. its fun to start disaster recovery mode though, makes life exciting and adventure like. :)

a hurricane party... cool, havent heard tale of such a beast here. are you eating up big in expectation of the storm? one would think (if one was me) that eatingt all the stores would be counter-productive to long term disaster survival.

I keep a small 300 watt unit in truck. It's good for charging the drill batteries, running the laptop, and when the need arises, I use it to power a corded Dremel for cutting key tops(to replace them) on ATM machines

Our house is well insulated and the normal temp is a bit lower than most. Just ask Skwerl :P

A generator would be cool, but it'd have to be a big assed one to run the AC, which is the main bitch/gripe/complaint when the power is out for days.

Running the computers would be cool also, but it's not that big of a deal.

Basically we just haven't balled up to purchase one. Maybe some day.

The last time a storm hit was 8/2. I got home shortly before dark, got on the tractor, and went out clearing trees that were blocking nearby roads.

Got a bit wet that night.

I'll come push ya out MB.

DSC05029.jpg

We got one for road trips so the kids can watch movies and play video games. Handy to have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So so far (is that correct?), I'm the only one that relies on it for power during storms, it appears.

Yup, that appears to be true. I have one that I bought so I can run my laptop and printer in my truck. But I also have a generator that I've never used.

I have always figured that if it got bad enough around here to lose power for mulitple days(I live right downtown) That I'll be working my fatass off. No need for power during the day.

I keep a small inverter in the truck for charging the laptop and cordless tools, otherwise no... don't use one for power outages. That's where the genny comes in.

Well I see what Butch is up against ,surely the winds from an impending hurricane .

Given enough time at a later date ,they make small wattage generators that run on pennys per hour .If you could find a small unit that would slightly put out more wattage than the inverter needs ,it would be more reliable and cheaper than running the pick em up truck to maintain the batterys .

Nice to know info I'm sure but the wolf is howling in Lewsiana in likely two -three days .Batten down the hatchs ,sailor .;)

what is the advantage of an inverter over a generator other than cost, and being dedicated on the vehicle?

Reason why I ask, is most inverters which are affordable are about or less than 1000 watts, right?

Honda eu 1000 watt generator is very small in size, and a 1000 watts will power a light bulb and a computer o.k.

Now THAT'S the info I've been fishing for. What "small wattage generators" are you talking about, Al?

they make small wattage generators that run on pennys per hour .If you could find a small unit that would slightly put out more wattage

I think the low wattage genny's are suspect on continuous, no brown out power for tight electric gear like computers and such, the higher the power rating the less likely to bugger up the tech gear.

In the South during the summertime, you want something strong enough to run the fridge and a small window AC unit as well as your basic lighting/ tv/ computer needs. At least for myself, trying to sleep in 98% humidity without AC is pure misery.

My experience is it's not all that hot when the hurricane is upon you. A fan moving the air is sufficient. I don't need the AC when it's like that. But I'm talking about going w/o for 24 - 48 hours.

Frans,
The advantage of the inverter over the generator is that the inverter is almost silent, except for the small cooling fan in it. Even the Honda EU1000 will sound loud by comparison. Also no gas fumes. If we have no power, I will run the generator during the day, but by 6PM, I'll turn it off and run lights with the inverter.

Back