Portland 2012 ITCC

Bonner, Elope. Almost everyone I ever met who did a big wedding had regrets about the colossal waste of money, stress and general hemorrhoidal pain induced by the wedding. No one I know who eloped or just went to a justice of the peace or preacher for a simple ceremony regrets the wedding. Some of both came to regret the marriage but only the big weddings consistently hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most marriages end in under two years and most of the folks cite arguing about money as the number one reason for the divorce.

The expense of the wedding was surely a huge stress on the marriage.

We were hoping for a small wedding in Lake Tahoe, mostly close family, but it ended up being bigger, and far from home.

Nick's big affair seems like its 20x's the trouble. I about shit a brick when Amy told me she booked and put a deposit in on a 3K photographer, because her mom really wanted it, as her mom didn't have it (ergo, her mom didn't know what all is involved in a wedding, and wasn't so much help, especially from OK, aside from she did put up some good money for the $1000 photograher, after losing the $800 deposit, making the photography $1,800, and only getting $1000 worth).:|:

Sounds a bit late to elope for Nick.

I would have gladly taken all that wedding money for a trip to Australia or Hawaii.

Eloping isnt an option. Her parents have put more down in deposits than I make in a year... Its like trading a ton of money for an equal amount of stress, then not getting the money back. I would have never in a million years have chosen it this way, but it is what it is and ultimately its gonna be one hell of a party... I will be riding in on a white horse dressed similar to this:

indian-wedding-001.jpg

http://weddings.iloveindia.com/indian-weddings/wedding-barat.html

D-e-r-a-i-l!

Anyhow, as far as I know, I'll be coming through Parks, so likely will stay at the hotel where the conference is held.

I hope that Amy and Dahlia will come to PDX. We have numerous friends that she'll visit. Maybe she'll come to the competition and some lectures.

I'm hoping to bring my employee, Erik, and might look into finding a room for him to share, on my tab, unless I come up with other arrangements.

Not me.

But I'd like to say good luck with the new hip!

It's gonna go just fine, I'm feeling pretty positive about the whole process. Can't say I'm looking forward to the next few months, but after that, I'm going to be all over this miserable pain and soul-sapping disability.

Damn straight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I'm opting for one more family trip instead of the conference.

A not unreasonable choice :).

I'm thinking that an ITCC is most likely never again going to be held in my backyard, so better get there if I ever want to see the best of the best in the world of tree climbing comps do their thing.

I may take the train down for the ITCC but the conference is highly unlikely for me at this point. We just did our regional TCC a couple weekends ago, a bunch of the people that were there will be in Portland as well.

I'll keep my eyes open for you, Paul. I don't expect to do anything but watch the comps, no conference or trade show for me.

Dave, conference too, or just itcc?

I may show up Sunday, but may stay for all of the NW String Summit and go to the conference on Monday.

I

Me and one of my guys will be there late morning Saturday thru Monday. Tuesday looked outright dull with a few good classes Wednesday. Decided one day was good enough for us with a couple classes on the weekends. I'll buy the first round!

Dave, conference too, or just itcc?

Sean, it needs to be a quick trip for us so the plan is just the ITCC and maybe a walk around the trade show.

Burnham, there are many people I hope to meet or see again and you and, hopefully, Melanie are right at the top of that list.

David

Back