Idaho Horticultural Expo 2012 Live!

Old Monkey

Treehouser
So I am sitting here waiting for the first lecture to begin. Pete doesn't seem to be here yet. I think the first lecture is on defensible tree appraisals so I wouldn't blame him for sleeping in. The timing is perfect for an indoor day as a major winter storm is coming through today and we're supposed to get dumped on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK first presenter forgot her thumb drive with her talk on it. This is going to be uncomfortable I think.

One hour and fifteen minutes to go until Don Blair.

Jim Flott, arborist extraordinaire is doing a crossword puzzle in front of me so I dont feel bad writing this. I think I'll check out the Bogus Basin webcam.

She finally got her thumb drive but it isn't any better really. We had a much better appraisal talk two years ago.

Sitting in front of my pc reading a forum thread by a guy stuck in a lecture hall with a presenter lacking a thumb drive. I think the weather system is the same one we have been / are enjoying here. temps dropped to well below freezing etc. How'd the fart lighting go?

Don Blair gave a slide show of a pretty cool night time removal of a huge tulip poplar right next to Monticello.

They didn't want to close. The had to do the work after the last tours of the day.

Said hi to Blair and thanked him for the first comfortable saddle I owned. He remembers my old boss back in California, Craig Swift. Mentioned I own a GRCS which might have been a mistake. He thinks the GRCS vs. Hobbs video was edited to the GRCS advantage as it didn't show the GRCS blowing up. Says the are still making the big Hobbs block and it's available on the Sierra Mercantile shop. Told him that site wasn't running last I checked. I guess that was a mistake too as it was his responsibility.

The first lecturer came back and gave a talk about writing good reports, filled with tidbits like taking a writing class could help your writing skills. Don Blair, raised his hand at the end and said, "I think the first thing that Elizabeth said "don't take a job unless you're qualified to do it," is very important to remember." I think it was meant well but sounded like the biggest slam.

My wife works out at that club. She wouldn't have recognized them.

I'm jealous of all that snow...we got 11 inches here in Steamboat two days ago, but I am greedy and want MORE! Our mountain base is only somewhere around 24 inches. :cry:

I'm jealous of ARod. One can only wonder what sort of ballplayer he might have been if he wasn't always chasing hot women, or being chased by them. Perhaps there is no connection to hitting a 100 mph fastball?

We are supposed to start getting snow tonight???? Maybe???? Hopefully????
Getting a little low in the reservoirs....
2134625330095334932gZFYnM_ph.jpg

images

The first lecturer came back and gave a talk about writing good reports, filled with tidbits like taking a writing class could help your writing skills. Don Blair, raised his hand at the end and said, "I think the first thing that Elizabeth said "don't take a job unless you're qualified to do it," is very important to remember." I think it was meant well but sounded like the biggest slam.

told ya..... he's a pompous dick!

Awe, he was alright really. Don't get him talking about the military or veterans though. That was a mistake.

Ha! The old man just got points with me. Only if it was a slam.

Yeah, but slamming someone when they have just finished their lecture and still in front of the audience....if it seems essential, perhaps best done in private. Otherwise, he probably wanted to slam her before she even said a word. Some folks are that way.

Blair did two talks today one on the differences between Eucmen and Oakmen and another on the history of tree climbing. Both were interesting. He showed a page out of a book written by a French arborist back around 1890 that talked about why trees that are being pruned should not be spiked. He had a lot of cool Picts from his Dad's business too. His dad started his business between the wars and was one of the early tree surgeons in our country.

Back