Poison Ivy - how to get rid of it

urushiol oil it all good its all the same.
The giant pagoda in china is painted with what???

Urushiol is real heavy duty sh*t. It only takes 1 billionth of a gramme, sorry gram to cause a rash. And apparently it would take just a 1/4 of an ounce to cause a rash for every person on the planet (if we were all allergic that is). Anyone else reading July's 'The Tree Worker'?

We use Remuda here that is basically a stronger round up. 6oz to the gallon. There are also a few other things we do to prep the site to kill it more effectively. First we cut it at the base and if in trees, try to pull all we can out of the tree. Ground cover, we cut and pull it by the roots if possible. this will minimize what you will have to spray come spring. We start this process in late summer, fall and winter as the plant becomes dormant (leaves turn red on PO) Sap will be less present and it is cooler weather for wearing full clothing, protective suits and gloves Tyvek suite works good and is cheap and you throw it away). Chipping and burning are bad for those who have bad reactions. We chip and burn it here as Rob and I don't react much to it and neither does the crew. The ones that do don't last.. LOL Clean up is a must and use a 6 hour rule. You been in it go shower after 6 hours to minimize your reaction. Tech nu and many other remedies are available to help. Bleach, Rubbing alcohol and astringents also work well in cutting the oils. Remember, the oil can penetrate your epidural layers in 10 minutes min.. The more you react, the more you should wash with dove or ivory and or alcohol to help cut it and dry it out. Mix salt with the soap BTW. DO NOT USE SCRUBBING TYPE PAD, be gentle. Cold water so pores don't open.
Next phase is spraying. We will spray two times a year in conjunction with phase three. First in spring when it is sprouting fresh leaves, but after any rains. I want a week of no rain to let the spray to penetrate. Warm days also .. I spray above 75 degrees F. Next spraying for PO is then in July right before it goes dormant so that it takes what poison it gets back to the roots as it is taking its nutrients there also before fall from the leaves.
Phase three... Weed eat or brush growth in between spraying to help starve the roots.
Most success we have seen is if you can be religious about spraying and hit it biweekly. Homeowners do this here and have good luck with it.
PO and PI takes years to eradicate and will still come back up from the smallest of live root or seed. Diligence is the key.

Note: only 10 percent of the population has little or no reaction to PO or PI. 10 percent of fire fighter workmans comp is from PO/PI inhalation during wild land fires. And is often times a permanent disability. PO/PI sap/oils are 5 year residual on rocks and trees, let alone the dead sticks of the stuff.
The oil/sap reaction is the T cell attacking it (you have a good immune system).

"was just in the yard and found PI - yuck"

While Round-Up will work, you'll lose the grass too if you spray it on the ivy. If it's in an area that you don't want to kill the grass as well, use a broad-leaf herbicide like 2,4-D. I'd put in a spreader sticker....sticker spreader?....whatever....put in a surfactant (I use dish washing liquid) to help out.

As they are systemic, the plant needs to be actively growing to take on enough to do the trick.

Don't be too paranoid about it though....it's not magic....it's just an oil. Keep the oil off your skin, you'll be fine. Double nitrile gloves are good if you want to handle it at all...but just be sure you don't break through if they've gotten woody. The other problem is when you grab it, and a 'tendril' sneaks around and even lightly brushes you....you got it.

One thing I did to get instant relief from the itching is to rub a thin layer of tube-paste over the infected area.

And, if you're working in it, immediately wash with a bar of Fels Naptha bar soap

My grandfather used to make his own remedy consisting of borac acid and
iodine.

You would bust the bubbles and apply the liquid, then use a hair dryer to keep down the stinging and to dry completely. Within a few minutes, the rash would turn blackish and dry up completely within a few days...

Back