Please review my notches

• Thread starter xtremetrees
  • Start date
  • Replies 72
  • Views 8K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
THere are 5 different cuts in the picks they all look about the same? THese logs are well logs. I dont like cutting tall logs in the back yard, but were harvesting them. I want to be more sure than ever that nothing goes wrong. I kindly agree my holding wood is thin, I dont mean to shine johnseredbred. I think rocky j skwerl brings up a most important and often ill forgot aspect of my job which is tree ID.

:?

Robert, I cannot understand what you are trying to say in your posts. I'm trying to, I really am, but I get lost in translation.

We're not trying to dis you, just comprehend what you're saying... and failing.

THere are 5 different cuts in the picks they all look about the same? THese logs are well logs. I dont like cutting tall logs in the back yard, but were harvesting them. I want to be more sure than ever that nothing goes wrong. I kindly agree my holding wood is thin, I dont mean to shine johnseredbred. I think rocky j skwerl brings up a most important and often ill forgot aspect of my job which is tree ID.

XT, I understand what BranchDoctor is saying. In the above post, here is what I don't understand:

What are "well logs"? (healthy, no rot??)

What does "I dont like cutting tall logs in the back yard, but were harvesting them" mean....what is the back yard, a customer's yard? Do you not leave a tall spar because of obstacles? But you are trying to keep them long enough to make lumber? (not a sentence, I know)

Thanks.

Man, I wish mytreelessons had a section on directional felling we could link to. It would be so useful right now to have some diagrams.

Extreme - No matter what your level of competency as a feller, you could probably benefit from Gerry's book The Fundamentals of General Tree Work. It has the best coverage of directional felling techniques I've ever seen. The pictures and diagrams make it all so easy to understand.

Not sure a Troll slayer is in order, I think a guide for the misunderstood/confused traveler might be more in order.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im getting the feeling I'd be better off taking my notches and videos elsewhere.

Im getting the feeling I'd be better off taking my notches and videos elsewhere.

OK Robert, some are leery of you being a troll, coming here and playing an idiot, and laughing at our responses/taking advantage of the good nature of the site. Some think you just need to slow down when you post, and be a bit more clear about what you are asking.
I'm on the fence, I want to like you, I don't think you are that bad. But between you're arrogance and one post is incoherent, the next one is very legible and easy to understand, it makes one wonder.
Now, these friends of mine have been more than helpful and have befriended me more times than I can count. I know they will gladly do the same for you, if that is what you wish.
There you go, the cards are on the table, nobody here is hiding anything. We just ask you be honest, if there is reason for the sporadic posting, tell us, we are really trying to get along with everybody, and want to!!
Hell, I am an ignorant redneck and nobody makes fun of me any more than I let them:lol: I have no reason to see why they would treat you any differently.
Deal?

OK Robert, some are leery of you being a troll, coming here and playing an idiot, and laughing at our responses/taking advantage of the good nature of the site. Some think you just need to slow down when you post, and be a bit more clear about what you are asking.
I'm on the fence, I want to like you, I don't think you are that bad. But between you're arrogance and one post is incoherent, the next one is very legible and easy to understand, it makes one wonder.
Now, these friends of mine have been more than helpful and have befriended me more times than I can count. I know they will gladly do the same for you, if that is what you wish.
There you go, the cards are on the table, nobody here is hiding anything. We just ask you be honest, if there is reason for the sporadic posting, tell us, we are really trying to get along with everybody, and want to!!

What Andy said. :drink:

To me; the tension and pivot components of the hinge are like a bent seesaw lever; but the lever is wide /2dimensional/gives 2 axises of control; rather than just a straight 1 dimensional beam /common lever.

That is for uncut tree or face open on cut tree(tension + pivot support and steer). Then, we have to work in the face closed mechanics (compression + pivot to break tension and steer). Except like a swing dutch that gives compression + tension + pivot to support and steer.MyTreeLessons/Dutch Push in 1 side of Face

I'm still not clear on why so much force is necessary to get the trees falling unless you're working against a lean. It's hard to imagine a backyard takedown that would require a loader PLUS a block for MA.
I use a tightline on nearly every tree I fall and usually pulling the belly out of the rope is enough to make the tree start falling.

I'm still not clear on why so much force is necessary to get the trees falling unless you're working against a lean. It's hard to imagine a backyard takedown that would require a loader PLUS a block for MA.
I use a tightline on nearly every tree I fall and usually pulling the belly out of the rope is enough to make the tree start falling.

Bingo.

Back