Plasma Cutters

BIGTWIG

Treeman
I am close to ordering my first plasma cutter from my local welding store. I use MIG welders, a Miller 211 and a Hobart set up for Flux Core. I fix my equipment and fab things for my tree service, I am not building anything heavy duty like trailers or grapple trucks day in day out. I'm usually out doing tree work.

I have been doing research for most of a year, and I am mostly sold on the Hypotherm PM30xp. I can get this for $1300. My store also likes the Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42 for $1150. Both units do 120/240, which is another reason I'd like to stay in this class, because you never know what you'll break and what is available.

As I understand it, the TD unit has a little more power, The Hypotherm's consumables last longer too from what I've read. Hypotherm is made in the US, not China. Both machines have a good reputation and a good warranty. Both are 3/8" cut units and should sever 5/8".

A few concerns I have, and I appreciate your guys input...

- Many people recommend getting a unit that "cuts twice as much as you think you'll need."
As I see it, that's more money and the unit will not be as mobile, or run off 120v if needed. I also DON'T want something that I will immediately outgrow. Thoughts?

- A good friend told me that the consumables 12+/- years ago were terrible, and the machines were not that powerful.
Has technology vastly improved with plasma cutters in the last 15 years?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Butch! I've done quite a bit of reading over there. You're right it's a great forum with lots of knowledge. I've seen some impressive builds and innovations here, so thought I'd ask the tree guys as well.
There are many tree tools I could buy for the price of a plasma cutter, but when it's time to fix or build anything in the shop I feel like I waste a lot of time cutting metal or avoid certain projects.

Plasma cutters have come on a huge amount in the last ten years. Inverter technology has revolutionised electrical welding and cutting equipment.

I have a Chinese made inverter plasma cutter, 180 amp and will clean cut 10mm, and sever 12mm. Been very reliable and easy to get consumables for. Not sure about spares as it's never broken down.

The main thing is plenty of clean dry compressed air and good technique.

Thanks, Peter! I would run a filter on the back of the unit. I assume you have some larger equipment by the looks of your picture. Do you ever feel like you need a bigger unit, or do you use a torch if needed?

Butch, if you're ever offered to try one, I highly recommend doing so. Pretty awesome tools!

I would stick with the big names myself. I've used a 120/240 unit, and it wasn't really happy on 120 cutting a 275 gallon oil tank apart, but sailed through it on 240.

If I had the cash and the need I'd probably buy a hypertherm, but for the amount I use it and the price I paid (about $500) the Chinese units are excellent.

Dave, how thick was the metal on that oil tank? Sounds like what I had in mind about them. 120v is an option, but a slower one.

This is what I have and it rocks! CLEAN and DRY air are a must! I've cut 3/8" stainless with just a swipe. As with anything, buy the best you can afford. When I got mine the next lowest model was only $300 less.

The problem with 120 is you need an air compressor to match. Little compressors make more water.

I had a Hypertherm 1000, thinking about getting a 45 or 60.

I bought a small/portable oxy/act set early this year to go with me when I'm mowing/mulching to cut wire and such out of the drum. I'll be getting a cordless grinder to keep in the truck with the impacts (Milwaukee M18 Fuel) as it's safer to transport in the vehicle. Carrying the big setup across the terrain the ex mows wasn't my idea of fun.

I have a 200V plasma cutter. It's a good brand but an old one. My metal fabricator friend had his go kaput so he asked to borrow mine for one job. He's been borrowing it for like 6 or 7 years, because I haven't had a need for it. When I was using it, one thing that I observed is that having extra power would be a good thing, because cutting thicker material and the cut can go off in an angle, not cut perpendicular to the surface. Interesting tools, once I had a stud break off in a machine casing, and I couldn't get it out nohow, even though a through hole. Out of frustration I took the nozzle of my plasma cutter and stuck it in the hole at full power, stood back and pulled the trigger. The stud shot out of there like a red hot bat out of hell! Oddly enough, it didn't seem to bugger up the threads on the casing one bit. I felt proud of myself, but I don't think it is a recommended application.

A popular brand around here has been Thermal Dynamics. The local Napa store sells them. My hired man just bought a Hobart and really likes it.

I have a big Victor torch that has the capability to cut 8 inches in one pass with the right tip. What I want a plasma cutter for is for half inch and less.

1/2" is what my normal max will be, but I want a rating of 1"+.

My little portable torch will cut the head/nut off a 1" bolt on the flail mower.

Bud, glad to hear the machine is REALLY a 3/8" cut capable! I agree buy once, cry once when you can afford the right tool, get it. Sounds like you really like it.

I would be running the machine off of a 80gallon 6.5hp air compressor 99% of the time. I'd plan on checking the filter behind the unit often, I don't want to buy two plasmas. Just like my MM211, I'd only want to run 120v If it was the only source available. I think it's a good match to the welders I have. I don't think I'd cut more than 1/2" with a plasma.

Jim, they push Thermal Dynamics hard over here as well. I think I'd get a torch in the future if I had the need. 8" solid steel cutting- that's a beast.

4x4 hazmat chase crew, the perks of being a treeman, right Carl?! Side note, is there a power inverter that could run a corded angle grinder off the excavators cig lighter if you had to? I'm sure the cordless grinder will pay for itself, though.

Jay, that's a funny story, got to love the unconventional fixes. I'd be proud of that one, too. I know some guys use them to grind welds or puncture holes for drilling.

Several years ago I had a Miller Spectrum 3080 1 1/2" max sever and 7/8" quality cut at ten inches a minute set up with nitrogen. That thing melted some metal! It needed a 100amp dedicated circuit to run it. Hypertherm is where it's at tho just a better machine.

100 amps! I'd have to pay three or four hundred dollars basic monthly service charge to have that coming into the shop.

The only ones I'm familiar with are heavy industrial machines .You can cut just about anything with them,stainless ,steel ,cast iron .I've cut inch and half cast iron with a Lincoln machine .

What was your monthly service charge for 200 amps? Electricity in the US is so cheap, you guys are lucky. I like the public watchdogs that review rate increases too. Here they just tell you that they are raising the rates, the public has no say and squawking about it does no good.

I don't remember this was in 2000 and with an ex I would like to forget, but I don't think it was all that much I wanna say 35 bucks.

Back