Plasma Cutters

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haha, thanks for the input everyone. I picked it up today with a Miller filter. I will try to follow up with pictures and a write up review. First impressions are it came in a heavy duty case with glasses, gloves, extra consumables, etc. The Hypotherm is a very sleek and small power unit, I'd guess 2/3 the size of the thermal dynamics cm42 unit.

I have the 45 and like it. If I was interested the 30, I would look at the one with the compressor built into it.

I have thought about that model but I really don't need the built in air compressor and the 30xp has a bit more cut capacity.

I'm really happy with the 30xp. Lots of positive things to say about it. Nice cuts, nice torch, haven't had any issues with the machine. I think it rips through 1/4" and still decent through 3/8". I'm glad to have it!

The only downside is if you expect to cut anything over 3/8"+ on a regular basis, it will sever more. But it gets a little slow, and that's not the machine's fault. I've had a few times where I've wanted some more power, but I'm not a production fabricator and it gets the job done for me.

Before I purchased my first plasma cutter, I spent a whole lot of time reading about the technology. The power source is the most important thing. Spend some time reading about MOSFET vs IGBT technology. Once you figure that out, it's just a matter of preference on what brand you want. I purchased an Everlast and I love it.

It has to be admitted that for certain low-end welding applications, MOSFET technology has failed unable to cope up when pushed to limits. IGBT technology, on the other hand, has proved extremely capable of handling all types of work, however tough.

http://www.nhproequip.com/blog/index.php/what-is-an-igbt-plasma-cutter/

Joel

The Hypertherm machine looks nice, looked at them on the internet. Hard to find prices for me at least.

I would buy a Thermal Dynamics or a Hypertherm.

Been looking at the 60 series, I think it would be a good compromise for me.

Been looking for a mill and a tig welder too. Anyone got a preference on tig welders? The HTP 221 looks good.

I've read nothing but good reviews on the HTP Tig machines, never ran one tho. The Tig we have at the shop is a Lincoln, dedicated Tig only. About the only thing I use Tig for is stainless, any small aluminum jobs that come in the shop I send them on their way. No money in little aluminum jobs, we have a push/pull wire feeder for heavy aluminum.

X2 on everlast warranty is 5 years on most thier machines. I own their multi process and their plasma they are well capable built in the same factory as thermal dynamic and are cheaper i actually sold my miller bobcat nt and spent half the money buying both machines. Had mine for 2 years and loving the plasma and welder. Igbt all the way...dont bother with mofset.

We have high freak machines but they're not needed for stainless. 99% of the Tig I do I'd rather just use an old sa250 engine driven generator. Copper wound generators have a more stable arc in my opinion.

Well I got the Hypertherm 30xp and I have to say it's a very sexy machine. I had a chance to burn some 3/16" and play around with it's gouging capability so far I am impressed. Smooth arc nice and stable.

Well I got the Hypertherm 30xp and I have to say it's a very sexy machine. I had a chance to burn some 3/16" and play around with it's gouging capability so far I am impressed. Smooth arc nice and stable.

Yeah buddy...You're gonna love it.

It was a tough call for me, I know a few people with the cutmaster 52, and they all love it. I hadn't even seen the Hypotherm when I bought mine, so I did my homework. The Hypotherms are dang nice.

.... If you need to break in your new 60 amp I have a grapple truck box that needs chopping! :lol:

Back