Pfanner Protos Integral Helmet

Bud should be recieveing the Tree Stuff Protos today. My review is a group review from our crew, combined thoughts.

The Good

The suspension system is nice, a little more comfortable than the Kask. There are a lot of adjustments to it, so it should be great for all shapes and sizes of noggins. The honeycomb cushion is nice too. The ear muffs are much better than any other ear protection I have worn. It feels like they suction cup around your ears. The stow ability is a nice feature.

The Blah

For almost double the cost of the Kask, I expected to be wowed. My first impression when picking up the helmet was that it felt like I was picking up a flimsy kids toy helmet. The tightening system is nice, but if you are start the day wearing a winter hat and want to take it off if you warm up, you have to take the helmet off and readjust. Then you have to adjust the chin strap. Turning a dial on the back of the helmet is easier. Another issue, another winter issue I should say, is that the mesh face shield clogs up with ice as the vapor of your breath passes through. Visibility sucked. This only happened on the coldest of days, but I need a helmet that works throughout the entire year. My favorite part about the Kask visor is that it never fogs.

From an economic standpoint I think the price is absurd. For the price this product should be miles ahead of other products, and it is not. I honestly wouldn't buy this helmet if it were cheaper than the Kask. I think you would get more for your money to buy a Petzl or a Kask helmet and use the extra money to buy good chainsaw pants. I applaud Pfanner for trying to pave new paths and their innovation, hell I like pfanner and own a lot of their stuff, but this helmet isn't all that and a bag of chips like I expected it to be.

Big Tim
2014-01-13 11.50.42.jpg

Got it today Fred! Who's next in line? I'm headed for an MRI in an hour. 3 fractured vertabrae in my neck. WTF?
I don't think I'll have the chance to try it out until later.

Fractured vertebrae? I thought you had a separated shoulder a few days ago...did you take some kind of fall I don't know about? Have I missed something?

Hope all turns out well, bro.

I/we thought it was separated shoulder based on circumstances. I slipped on the ice and landed on my elbow. It just got too much to handle so I went to doc yesterday. X-rays today show 2-3 fractured vert. C456 I think. MRI at 7. Well see.

Damn, heal up.

Slipping on ice is just nasty, it's so easy to just go down and hit like a ton of bricks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm surprised Fred didn't like it. I'm not sold on the screen but i like the helmet much better than a kask. He makes a good point about wearing hats

I hope you heal up bud!

The screen has saved my face numerous times, climbing and chipping.

The muffs are quiet with added protection.

Got tagged on top of the helmet with a hanger and it didn't phase me.

Doing tree work can often feel like going to battle, I feel very safe wearing it. Well worth the investment.

Bix, with all the coolest people wearing them I finally broke down and got one. (Joke) Nick is setting one up with a comm. unit so I can stop yelling at the top of my lungs.

I believe that the muff design is so awesome and necessary i couldn't go without it. When there is a product that answers a problem and it is the only option that answers the problem than they can charge whatever they want and it's worth it. I have lamented not having muffs on my helmet for years and have tried repeatedly only to get frustrated and rip the muffs off after a few tangles. My ears are too important to skimp on. This helmet answers that problem very effectively as far as I can tell. Hopefully, other helmets will respond and the price will come down. Other than the muffs, it's just a really expensive helmet. I really hope it can take a beating and I have it for a long long time.

I've just flicked through this thread so I'll throw in my thoughts here.

I've been climbing in a Protos for about one year and love it.
The advantages are in this order:

1. It provides more protection than any other helmet on the market, in any country.
2. The ventilation is better than any other Arb helmet due to the wide fitting shell allowing airflow to pass continually up then out the vents.
3. Integrated design means that twigs don't get caught like on all other helmets.
4. All parts are replaceable.

Who cares about the price and what it looks like when its better than the others? I sure don't.

What I would like to know is does it sit right on the tippy top of your head like every Petzl helmet I have owned, (mine actually falls off my head when I look up) or does it wear low for a guy with a big funny shaped head?:)

Nick,

From your first post of this thread until now, the price shot up from $220 to $299 ? It was expensive to begin with, but $300 ? Ouch !

Nick,

From your first post of this thread until now, the price shot up from $220 to $299 ? It was expensive to begin with, but $300 ? Ouch !
Leave it to a wall streeter to illuminate the financial angle;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nick,

My OP was based on some conversion I did. The problem is there is no trade agreement with Austria so we get hit hard with tariff. I contacted a law firm about setting up some kind of german holding company to get around it but we will see. International trade law isnt exactly my primary wheelhouse.

Back