Petzl's updated sequoia

Joezilla11

TreeHouser
Stumbled across this that petzl is releasing an updated version of the sequoia in a few days. I have never used one but from petzl's wording about a wider semi rigid back pad and better padding seems maybe they beefed it up a little?
http://www.petzl.com/en/pro/harnesses/sequoia-line

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/80282847" width="500" height="281" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

I rock the sequoia, very comfortable. always wanted to try some new tribe though.

Anyone use the SRT version?

Ive been considering upgrading / adding a chest harness w ascender. I don't SRT a lot but when I do it usually a long run and it tends to be hard on my weak shoulder. Thinking a chest ascender would help keep me more upright and I would rely less on upper body strength. The other option would be to just break down and buy a Wraptor.

Stumbled across this that petzl is releasing an updated version of the sequoia in a few days. I have never used one but from petzl's wording about a wider semi rigid back pad and better padding seems maybe they beefed it up a little?
http://www.petzl.com/en/pro/harnesses/sequoia-line

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/80282847" width="500" height="281" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm pretty excited about this. Looks like they've improved a lot of the aspects ppl complained about with the orinigal sequoia. Might end up picking one up once I have some money.

Ive been considering upgrading / adding a chest harness w ascender. I don't SRT a lot but when I do it usually a long run and it tends to be hard on my weak shoulder. Thinking a chest ascender would help keep me more upright and I would rely less on upper body strength. The other option would be to just break down and buy a Wraptor.

I do.
Bought it when we were going to the Redwoods/Sequoias first time, and figured we'd need to be able to handle long SRT ascends.
I have stuck with it since for SRT, when I have to go a long way up a single line it is hard to beat.
Just tighten it up hard when ascending and release it again when going to work up there.

Can you put shoulder straps on the non-SRT model?
What makes the SRT model SRT specific?
Would you be able to use the DdRT model for hitch hicker SRT...looks like you could.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was wondering the same thing about the shoulder straps. The srt model has a front attachment for a chest harness/croll

Yes, but it has an other attachment point on the back to hold the shoulder straps. It's an aluminum part, with a narrow slot only able to take a web strap.

The shoulder straps aren't allowed for the regular model, because it doesn't have those both fastening points.

A bad point (relatively) for me about the srt model is the one piece belt, without the fast locking buckle.
Otherwise, the srt model has the same components as the regular model.

The front central attachment for srt is part of the belt, but the HH can be used in srt mode on the bridge too (like with the ddrt model). This mounting seems a little looser than with the srt attachment (a little farer away of your cog ), but it isn't a big deal and it actually offers more freedom for the body.

The Sequoia SRT with a Croll and a Voltige (or similar) Chest Harness is pretty much the most efficient ascent only system. Unlike most hitch based systems, the combination of the Crolls cam, the central point and the tension of it from the chest harness you have ZERO setback. None. Not a mm. Im planning a trip to climb some tree in California around the time of the Pasadena show and I am thinking Sequoia SRT, Haas, Pantin, and a CT Double hand ascender (tethered to harness) for access. Once in the tree I would probably go over to my HitchHiker or the RopeRunner by that time!

Totally forgot about that!

And that explains where those leg pads went. I have the waist to that tengu harness and I use it for splicing. Was cleaning up the other day and wondered where the legs were. Luckily, the room was a disaster and I only held on to the thought for about 1.5 seconds.

Looking at these Petzl's myself. Anyone have anymore thoughts on the srt vs the reg harness? I won't/don't srt a lot but I'm wanting to gear up for it and learn/implement it. I'm not getting any younger!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you use a hybrid device like the hitch hiker or rope wrench u don't need the srt attachment point. I did notice only the srt model will take suspenders tho

A pair of $14 clip on workman's suspenders from the hardware store takes care of that...

I am on my second Petzl Sequoia SRT. I used the uppers on the first saddle, primarily because I have a belly and no ass. It made getting the saddle on and off a pain. I haven't put the uppers on the new SRT but have thought I would at some point. Now that I don't climb as much, it doesn't seem pressing. I only ever used the SRT for SRT once at the Redwood get together when I borrowed Willie's Croll suspenders. I seem to have stopped forward technological progress at the VT and the Hitchclimber pulley.

Second that.
It just makes getting up there sooo easy.
As for getting the harness on and off, just switch the triangle link out with a carabiner and it goes easy.

But I only plan on getting a HH set-up. Not going into any of the other crazy SRT systems. So I don't want to buy more features then I'm ever gonna use.

Back