Petzl sequoia vs tree motion evo

Matagorn

Treehouser
I’m sure this question has been beaten into the ground, but....I have a petzl sequoia srt saddle. Very light and comfy but pinches at the hips when I’m leaning hard or hanging on my lanyard. The lower Ds on the treemotion and wider back pad look very tempting. Anyone been able to compare these saddles? Tree motion more comfortable? Is the tree motion evo a good all around saddle for pruning and removals?

There is simply no way to say which will be more or less comfortable for you, or for anyone else, until you yourself ride them both. Saddles are just such a personal fit thing that no one elses' experience will give you the slightest bit of insight into what will be best for you.

I've climbed in a lot of different harnesses, but not near all that are available...and that's been a moving target for as long as I've been climbing...over 40 years now :). The last 20 years much more so than the previous 20.

Most worked fine for me, and a few didn't. I love my Sequoia, and find it comfortable in nearly all applications. Only my old custom built New Tribe holds a candle. But I will just about guarantee that someone soon will post here that they had completely different experiences with both of these saddles. I can think of another New Tribe model I tried, and found sucked for me, in comparison to my custom model (which was fairly close to their once upon a time standard ProClimber model they put out several years after I ordered mine).

That's just the way it is with some climbing gear, and saddles are probably at the top of the list in that respect.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is simply no way to say which will be more or less comfortable for you, or for anyone else, until you yourself ride them both. Saddles are just such a personal fit thing that no one elses' experience will give you the slightest bit of insight into what will be best for you.

I've climbed in a lot of different harnesses, but not near all that are available...and that's been a moving target for as long as I've been climbing...over 40 years now :). The last 20 years much more so than the previous 20.

Most worked fine for me, and a few didn't. I love my Sequoia, and find it comfortable in nearly all applications. Only my old custom built New Tribe holds a candle. But I will just about guarantee that someone soon will post here that they had completely different experiences with both of these saddles. I can think of another New Tribe model I tried, and found sucked for me, in comparison to my custom model (which was fairly close to their once upon a time standard ProClimber model they put out several years after I ordered mine).

That's just the way it is with some climbing gear, and saddles are probably at the top of the list in that respect.
Sure. Makes sense. My sequoia srt is worlds better than the old style weaver I used to use. I like it. But I really do like the idea of lower D rings for my lanyard on the tree motion. I’ve read that it really takes pressure off of the hips.

Or it can put your COB all out of whack and leave you very unstable...it can go either way. It's all about your body type in this case...do you have a big chest, shoulders, and long arms...and more slender ass and legs in proportion? Or are you built the opposite, with a sturdy buttocks and legs but no belly, smaller upper, with moderate arms and shoulders?

Or like most of us, somewhere in between these extremes.

These are the sort of individual differences that can make one saddle the finest fit ever for one climber, and not for another.

Or it can put your COB all out of whack and leave you very unstable...it can go either way. It's all about your body type in this case...do you have a big chest, shoulders, and long arms...and more slender ass and legs in proportion? Or are you built the opposite, with a sturdy buttocks and legs but no belly, smaller upper, with moderate arms and shoulders?

Or like most of us, somewhere in between these extremes.

These are the sort of individual differences that can make one saddle the finest fit ever for one climber, and not for another.
I’m 5’9, and weigh 195. Fairly big upper body, 34 inch waist. I really do like the sequoia. Do you use the shoulder harness with yours?

I rarely use the upper d's on a saddle. It's nice to have the option if needed. Hanging in the lowers is like hanging from the bridge.

Burnham is dead-on about how personal saddle fit and comfort are. So keep that in mind.

I have used both the Petzl SRT model and the Treemotion, standard and S.light models. For me Treemotion wins hands down. It offers more support while at the same time, more freedom of movement. Especially when compared to the SRT model that has extra structure in the bridge attachment area.

Having and using the lower D's is nice but I certainly don't use them every time that I'm on a lanyard.

Upgrading equipment can be a tons of fun, but tends to be disproportionately expensive compared to how much it improves your climbing abilities. For that you will gain more through climbing time and by studying and perfecting your technique and system used.

I’m 5’9, and weigh 195. Fairly big upper body, 34 inch waist. I really do like the sequoia. Do you use the shoulder harness with yours?

No. I do often wear a lightweight chest harness, but it doesn't attach to the saddle at all. Different purpose.

Again, it depends on body type.
I have no hips at all, so if I don't use the shoulder harness on my Sequoia, the whole thing slips down as soon as I hang a saw on it and take the weight off my climb line.

Always had a hard time keeping my pants up, too.
Untill someone turned me on to elastic belts, what a difference.

I just found out about elastic belts. Bought one by accident. Always the perfect fit. Looks just like leather. I guess mine is rubber.

Again, it depends on body type.
I have no hips at all, so if I don't use the shoulder harness on my Sequoia, the whole thing slips down as soon as I hang a saw on it and take the weight off my climb line.

Always had a hard time keeping my pants up, too.
Untill someone turned me on to elastic belts, what a difference.
My topping saw is ok on my petzl sequoia but anything bigger and it starts to droop on that hip.

I have only climbed in a Sequoia a couple of times and didn’t particularly like it. Just felt a bit flimsy to me.

I have just bought a Treemotion Evo. Not tried it yet but the treemotion is the saddle for me. I have had three now and the Evo being the 4th.

I like the look of the upgraded bridge etc and if it was anything like the original the I will be onto a winner.

CA4D58EF-2FD4-4D80-B97D-8E5C1413C8C3.jpeg

Your Sequoia is the older one that has the rings instead of the lower Ds? They changed the design in 2019 I think, the newer one looks pretty dope, really like the looks of the lower Ds on it.
My TreeMotion is collecting dust since I got the Ergovation, I love it. Got a brand new TM Superlight that I should at least try out. Got another Ergovation for my girlfriend and a kid’s New Tribe basic for the youngsters.
I’m seriously done saddle shopping for 5 years at least. But the newer Sequoia does look excellent.

Back