Perkins Diesels

Have one in my chipper. Has yet to act up. Ive never heard of people have much trouble with them, trouble that was the engines fault anyways.

My sawmill and edger have "Perkapiller" engines. They are cold blooded, but getting better with hours, but I don't think they will ever match Kubota for cold starting. I had a defective manifold on the mill engine and CAT refused to fix it. Wood Mizer paid the service call, $1640, and fought with CAT on their own time. WM no longer offers Perkapiller.

When Dad bought his Morbark new in '93, he went with John Deere and a buddy bought a model 13 with a Perkins diesel. Not a lick of engine trouble out of ours in near 20 years now, mostly just minor stuff that wasn't related to the engine. Our buddy had tons of trouble, I can't recall all of what problems he had but I know they were numerous and he was wishing he went with Deere.

I've got an 89 hp in my 01 200 xp. it is under powered for the size of the chipper, but it was custom built for Bartletts line crew. To date I have had no issues.

The Bandit 9 inch I used to rent had the Perkins Diesel.... overall a good powerful performer... some start up issues that I actually wound up fixing (which on a rental I shouldn't have had too) .... the rental yards answer was to fire it up and send you OTR with it running!..... stupid, some wiring issues and the posts on the cellenoid (threaded studs) would back out with vibration.... not trashing it but have had better luck with other motors

My 1590 has a 135hp Perkins it is the perfect size for that chipper the autofeed barely kicks in.

jp:D

I'm a "swearer at er!" Decent engines for the size, they used a LOT of them in the 8 series Bobcats. Problem is, they used the oil cooled engines. Weak head gaskets, with hot oil, lots of problems! I've worked on a lot of things, I've done a lot of things, but I've never smelled anything as bad as pulling the head off of one of those pigs!
THEN, when you put it back together, PER THE SPECS, you take a dotco with a buff pad and scour the head and top of block to "surface" it before re-assembly? Goes against everything I've ever been taught!
Then we can get into the turbo problems, but I think you get the point by now!
Wish I could get a Kubota or Yanmar in everything I own! Simple, reliable, and they just flat WORK!

My limited experience with Perkins was good except for a few wiring demons mostly involving the fuel-cutoff solenoids.

I'm a "swearer at er!" Decent engines for the size, they used a LOT of them in the 8 series Bobcats. Problem is, they used the oil cooled engines. Weak head gaskets, with hot oil, lots of problems! I've worked on a lot of things, I've done a lot of things, but I've never smelled anything as bad as pulling the head off of one of those pigs!
THEN, when you put it back together, PER THE SPECS, you take a dotco with a buff pad and scour the head and top of block to "surface" it before re-assembly? Goes against everything I've ever been taught!
Then we can get into the turbo problems, but I think you get the point by now!
Wish I could get a Kubota or Yanmar in everything I own! Simple, reliable, and they just flat WORK!

My bud has a Yanmar engine in his little JD tractor. I used it one winter. The thing didn't even need the glow plugs down into the teens. He never had a bit of trouble. The price on parts is a problem I have been told though.

I have no idea exactly which model of Perkins Tom has in his New Holland skid loader except it's 42 HP . Even at 75 degrees it needs a hit on the glow plugs but it will start in any kind of weather no matter how cold it is .That is if the battery is up .

The thing sips fuel and for the size of the skidder it has ample power .As far as I know he's never had any problems with the actual engine .A couple of occasions the safety circuits caused some problems such as the seat and seat belt safety .That has nothing to do with the little diesel engine though .

I have a 1992 1250 vermeer with a perkins and I have never had to do anything to the motor. I have had it for six years and it has plenty of power. It has been sitting since the first of November. I started it last week and it fired right up, it was 20 something out.

Yanmar is an old diesel engine manufacturer. They have a bunch of agricultural equipment dealerships in my area. Considered excellent equipment, but expensive. Cool looking gear and they don't seem interested in competing with the cheaper Korean equipment that a lot of people go for.

The Onan diesel generater in the motor home which is still in my building has a 3 cylinder Yanmar .Slick deal ,it will not carry the load until it gets to operating temperature and once it goes into shut down mode it disconnects the load and runs until it gets to a low enough temp then shuts down the engine .

Actually the engine is a cute little thing .7.5 KW so maybe at best 12-15 HP and only about 18" long .Probabley under full load most likely only uses a tad over a quart an hour .

Yanmar makes most of the John Deere compact tractors, if not all of them.
I know the Cat engines are solid, not sure I'm sold on the smaller Cummins engines yet, I've seen some odd problems with the newer ones in trucks so I can't give a good idea on the equipment side.

Back