Hissing Diesel Engine

Ford uses an exhaust backpressure valve to warm the engine. It makes a similar hissing noise. It can be turned into an axhaust brake with a simple on off switch.

Ford uses an exhaust backpressure valve to warm the engine. It makes a similar hissing noise. It can be turned into an axhaust brake with a simple on off switch.
7.3 here and below 30 degrees same hiss. Warm up no noise. If I lived in hill country that exhaust brake would intrest me more. Something you have set up on your truck?

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trees produce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care!

turbo leak think u can use propane to isolate it.....does it have air brakes the izusu im running does my they stock exhaust brake should have a switch to toggle it on/off at least mine does...

7.3 here and below 30 degrees same hiss. Warm up no noise. If I lived in hill country that exhaust brake would intrest me more. Something you have set up on your truck?

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trees produce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care!

I don't have it setup on mine, I'm in hill country for sure and it's something I need to do as the brakes on the obs trucks suck big time. That's why god invented the manual transmission.

I used to have one, loved it. Newer Ford trucks don't really need it in the auto shifters, great trannys

These new ones hold you back in tow haul mode. I've come off 6 percent for 6 miles at 25000 pounds and hardly touched the brakes in my 550

That is no different than being in gear with a manual trans. Wouldn't a brake be even better on top of that?

You can be in the wrong gear with a manual.

5000 board feet of rough cut fir.........steep hill..........single lane traffic at the bottom.

Breaks on fire, hanging out the window telling people to get the hell outta the way!

That is no different than being in gear with a manual trans. Wouldn't a brake be even better on top of that?
Sure it's different, the torqshift maintains the speed you set it at, the manual just maintains that particular grade.

My point is that there is only so much braking available from the engine. An exhaust or engine brake increases that by a lot. Unless it's a Duramax, then you'd have better luck dragging your feet.

On a diesel there is next to no engine braking without an engine/exhaust brake. Sure they help, I'm saying the torqshift makes it not necessary, does a better job imo

I don't know if it provides more braking or not, but it provides enough, it's already built in, it holds the speed you set it at etc.
An exhaust brake depends on rpm's to provide adequate braking. I loved my pac brake on the old dodge but I did often find as I came off the mountains I either had too much braking or not enough. To get the right amount I had to choose a different gear that may not be the speed I wanted

Maybe someday someone will develop a way to harness all the power lost during downhill braking, store it, and use it to help power the rig back up the next grade. Like winding spring, or compressing air.

Maybe it's already here, but I haven't see or heard of it. Anybody?

I will admit I'm not up to date with the hybrid cars. Though I do find it amazing how tech keeps getting more usable energy out of a drop of petrol.

And by the way, I never figured that I would ever see the price of gas go under $2.

Carry on with the engine brakes. Sorry for the derail.

Ford has some sort of high pressure compressed air device they were experimenting with 15 or 20 years ago. It would give a bit of a push on take off.

AFAIK the Fords have an exhaust brake and an transmission programming that helps utilize it.

Yessir, heat which is released by the transmission cooler. At the moment I can't think of any braking system that doesn't convert the energy to heat, with the exception of regenerative braking systems.

Carl, that makes the most sense.

I drove a Mitsubishi that would turn the brake off, downshift, then turn the brake back on. That was very smooth, and effective.

Back