Deutz Diesel Blues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks , quite sure there's no Priming Pump (two Cylinder). The question in my mind is , could the Solenoid have worn out and quit in the cut off all fuel position ?? Fuel Pump appears to function normal ...

When it quit the motor went from full throttle to nothing ... As if I had pushed the fuel cuttoff lever

Different motor mind you. My perkins. Not trying to be stupid.
My fuel solenoid relies on oil pressure input to stay open. You hold the murphy switch to start and hold it till the oil pressure comes up. Might be worth a look to see it the solenoid works. 12v jump from the battery will tell you that. Oil pressure sender might be worth a look. If solenoid activates.
I have also had a fuel filter gasket screw with me when it slipped over the filter holes once. Just did not place it perfect when i changed the filter.
See if the filter has fuel. You should have a lift pump that supplies it. Is your an electric pump or mechanical? Check for a bad relay or fuse if electric. Easy enough to check and see any flow.
Trace it from the tank to the injectors. If the injectors dont seem to be getting any, well, go back towards the pump.

Fuel is all the way to the pump and beyond , yes fiiler full ...nothing at the injectors. Will try to check the little Solenoid next to the pump I guess

That might be the priming pump if you can move it back and forth. The hand pump will only have a stroke of an inch or so, and are pretty small. This is what most look like, maybe half inch diameter

Screenshot_20201128-065744_Samsung Internet.jpg

Eventually i narrowed mine down to the actual hp injector pump. Had a gear tooth or something fail. Needed a rebuild. New was pricey. I had fuel to the pump and the solenoid Was working. So was the relay. I even bypassed the lift pump with an electric to see if i a weak lift pump. Felt like I was going to pull my hair out. Call a buddy of mine that does a lot of his own wrenching. He hooked me up with a diesel place that tests and rebuilds stuff. Rebuild for about 1/2 of new. So worst case, find a place that rebuilds injectors, turbos and possibly pumps.
I guess the other thing on the pump is timing. Making sure the marks are all lined up. On the Perkins, its geared so you would have to about break teeth for it to change.

Yes , watched a few vids and I'm pretty sure the fuel cut off Solenoid is my next move. Seems they can break several ways mechanically and electrically. Can pass voltage and even make the click sound but still not allow motor to run.

Before I replace ... just dug out my volt ohm meter to test voltage while still installed , apparently a bad or unintentional ground can make it not function. So I'll rule out wiring or fix it if it is.

Sadly , not yet ... Quit working on it for now. Will R&R the Solenoid , not sure if I want to deal with taking apart the stuff in the way or have mechanic do it. Can only be that or the injection pump so start small. Mechanic has been super booked anyways plus I'm burning waste on current job. On hold I guess ...

FWIW, I found an ace mechanic here in CT for Deutz, he fixed me up perfectly, extremely knowledgable, Tri Valley Diesel 203 393 0500, ask for Tom

Okay ... the Diesel RUNS !!! , Contaminated Fuel (again) ... need a better tank cap plus battery and tires , also a trip to the body shop to straighten slight bend in the axle ... (been down so long that it looks like up to me ...)

My Deisel Mechanic is knowledgeable , talented , and Psychotic ... a few years back had a similar fuel issue. Fuel (lift) pump was suspected villain. When he told me the problem he mentioned sourcing one in Vermont for like a hundred fifty bucks , I told him to buy and install it as the machine bought new has been very good to me. He insisted on taking the original one completely apart and inspecting it. Swore it looked fine and should work , re installed it and it it did NOT work. I told him again to order the new one and R & R. He said he wanted to take it all apart again. Again I said let's just buy the new one. He decided it was worth another try ... this time he found that a set of tiny plastic in line check valves that prevented fuel from running backwards had failed. He actually found them somewhere new outside of Germany , so the OE mechanical lift pump still runs today. Stubborn he is as well

My Deisel Mechanic is knowledgeable , talented , and Psychotic ... a few years back had a similar fuel issue. Fuel (lift) pump was suspected villain. When he told me the problem he mentioned sourcing one in Vermont for like a hundred fifty bucks , I told him to buy and install it as the machine bought new has been very good to me. He insisted on taking the original one completely apart and inspecting it. Swore it looked fine and should work , re installed it and it it did NOT work. I told him again to order the new one and R & R. He said he wanted to take it all apart again. Again I said let's just buy the new one. He decided it was worth another try ... this time he found that a set of tiny plastic in line check valves that prevented fuel from running backwards had failed. He actually found them somewhere new outside of Germany , so the OE mechanical lift pump still runs today. Stubborn he is as well
That's a good mechanic if he finds the precise problem, though he could have done that after getting you going with a whole new part, if it meant saving a big delay.

Back