Optional safety bump bar

Best I can tell, it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The idea started with Vermeer, Terex also uses them now.

The Terex bars aren't too bad, I occasional bump them with the grapple when feeding, it's rare a limb trips it.

If you're talking about bottom feed stop bar, it's obligatory in Europe. Is it a pita? Yes but you get used to it.
How would you have a safety stop in the U.S. otherwise?

Normal feed bar being where? On top of the hopper presumably.
I had that years ago on an older machine, much much better in all honesty.
If I could legally get rid of the bottom feed bar I would, don't get it if you can avoid it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just say NO!!!

The West Palm Beach dealer won't sell it without it, even though it's an option. A few hours up the road, in Jacksonville, they will. We don't want it.
Our plans are to demo it in mid May, so it will be interesting to see how many times the coconut fronds catch the bar and stop production.

Those bars are awful. Constantly get tripped by brush. They make it hard to work the chipper even close to it's capacity.

Mick, far as I know they aren't obligatory here.
Britain, maybe?

Just had a quick google, it seems that any hopper with a height above 600mm (2ft) above ground level must have a bump bar on the bottom.

On a side note, a friend was telling me about his recent experience running some BC1400s.

The way they work is if the bump bar gets hit an operator has to hold the reset button on the side of the operator to restart the system. A benefit they discovered is that you can hold the button and the system feeds regardless of top handle psotion. Goodbye holding the upper feed wheel control bar with all your might to feed a big branch.

My terex feed system is prior to having a lower bar, but its feed wheel bar controls a switch which controls the hydraulics. I was thinking a momentary switch would be nice to override the feed wheel position bar. It would serve the same function as the Vermeer's side effect.

Back