Operation Tannenbaum 2007

GASoline71

'cause chicks dig scars
I was asked to volunteer for a project that the Airfield Manager here at the base had dreamed up to help out some of our sailors here in the local community.

There are numerous stands of "problem trees" that we have on the airfield here at NAS Whidbey. Trees that interfere with RADAR reception, and stands that hold wildlife (deer, coyotes, avian species) that can cause hazards to aircraft in flight and on the runways.

So I was the lead sawyer on this deal, and had 2 other guys that brought saws that went out and took down almost 250 trees today. Most were no bigger than my wrist on the ground. We then picked through the ones that would be good Christmas trees (or "Charlie Brown" type Christmas trees. LOL ;) ), and give them to some of the sailors families whose loved ones are deployed. Mostly to the Mom's whose husbands are gone on deployment. Not saying that there aren't Dad's whose wive's are gone too. But most of the families were the Mom's that would like a tree, since Dad is gone. We are giving the trees away tomorrow morning.

We are even goin to deliver some of them to the Navy Housing areas so the families that can't get to the trees... the trees will come to them.

They might not be the best lookin' trees for Christmas... but heck... they are free. So I hope to make some families Christmas a little nicer this year.:thumbup:

We hope to make this an annual event. We kicked off the deal with a catered meal that my boss paid for. He totally suprised us when he did that. So we had a lot of fun today.

I even got to put on a little falling clinic for the 2 guys that brought their saws. There were some bigger hazard trees that my boss wanted down so I was asked to show them how I do it. I have never cut a tree down in front of 15 people like in a "classroom" environment. Thank god my undercut lined up with my gunning cut perfectly... ;) The one picture where all you can see is my back through the brush is where I was getting the tree ready to bring down. I was swamping out the lower limbs and underbrush. The gal that was takin' pics with my camera didn't get any of the cuttin' like I asked her too. She said she was too busy watchin', and forgot to snap any more. :|:

Good times & enjoy the pics! :)

Gary

Right on Gary, that's awesome. You're a good man and a friend.

Saaaalute from Selleck nice job.Suburb of Ravensdale and Cumberland wich are suburbs of enumclaw.

This is cool

Something cool that Xerox is doing

If you go to this web site, http://www.letssaythanks.com you can pick out a Thank You card and Xerox will print it and it will be sent to a soldier that is currently serving in Iraq . You can't pick out who gets it, but it will go to some member of the armed services.

How AMAZING it would be if we could get everyone we know to send one!!!

This is a great site.

Please send a card. It is FREE and it only takes a second.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the soldiers received a bunch of these? Whether you are for or against the war, our guys and gals over there need to know we are behind them. :thumbup:

Gary, that is absolutely awsome! What a blessing to those families. Looks like ya'll were blessed with a good time as well!

Looks like a lot of fun and for a very good cause. these are the people that bare the real impact of deployment.
See Ya
Mike

Well done Gary, you big ol' softy!!

I actually like those trees for Christmas trees. I usually have a nice, sparce, young fir that I "borrow" from a state cut. Your operation is much more upstanding.

Way to go.

Yeah, Gary's pretty big on PPE. He's the PPE spokesman. He's pretty new to running saws, so he's got to be careful. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I see the little winking smilie after the PPE digs... but I'm really not smilin' about it. :what:

You don't know what I was doin', what I said to the guys, or how I went about my day of cuttin'. Maybe I'm takin' it the wrong way... but do not turn my thread into a PPE bashfest like over at TB.

Plus I ain't gonna wear the PPE while draggin' a bunch of tiny trees to a truck.

I am not going to explain myself to anybody about how I cut... or what I did to give a couple of guys pointers.

Gary

Well done Gary. There is a program around here where some VFW guys go around to the families of the deployed and will do anything needed around the house. Cut the grass, pull weeds, repair household stuff, whatever.

i was backin ya gary. i hate those threads at the buzz and i normally use my ppe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Actually Willie... I didn't even see your post until about 5 minutes ago. :)

I was kinda miffed and just posted a retort to OTG's post without even readin' the other posts.

I prolly got my knickers in a bunch over nothin'... :|:

Gary

Back