On The Water

Atlantic Mackerel V, we had a good hour or so 56 fish in all, they were caught on lures, fish weighed up to 2lb...

Most excellent on the barby! imo one of the best eating fish you can get, I gave a load away to my elderly neighbors and friends, they are best eaten on the day... So they never really got time to stink the fridge out, but Frans is right if left too long I'd have been in trouble...:|:

Attachments

• 100_2842.jpg
    100_2842.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 64
My buddy who usually brings me fish has been slacking 'cause his boat is broken :(

LIke you said, nothing like fresh caught fish. Never had fresh mackerel

No fish, but its water...

This is the beach at my in-laws vacation house "down tha Cape". Neighborhood association beach and dock, its pretty cool:)

Attachments

• IMG_1359.JPG
    IMG_1359.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1360.JPG
    IMG_1360.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1364.JPG
    IMG_1364.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1361.JPG
    IMG_1361.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 54
That's a coincidence...I had mackerel just tonight at a nearby sushi restaurant. Usually they just don't eat mackerel raw, they put it briefly in some kind of vinegar marinade I believe, then eat it raw. Pretty oily fish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We got out today, just did some drift fishing in about 110 feet of water, over the Thunderbolt Wreck. We caught 6 decent sized Yellowtail Snapper, didn't even need to measure them. Sorry, no pics.

Then we went to a favorite swimming spot. Water temp is down to 78, so I won't be back in till next summer. Brrrr to cold.

Sounds like fun, Gigi. :)

So, when are you gonna tell us the story about your new avatar picture? Looks like Palmer was piloting a helicopter or something. :lol:

I took my boat out today, first time I've had it on the water since a year ago August. The 60 Yamaha runs pretty good as long as I don't run it wide open, only an occasional slight miss when coming off an idle. But when I run it wide open for several minutes it gets loud and rattley, sounds like crap. I'd love to replace it with a 90 hp Yamaha but I don't use it enough or have the money to waste on anything like that. More likely I might end up throwing a set of rings in it sometime and seeing if that will bring my compression back up a little.

Anyway, it was a little chilly and breezy but not bad. My buddy Mike and I ran up the St John's river from Sanford (Lake Monroe) almost all the way to Lake George and back. We had lunch at one of the marinas along the way, fished a little and mostly counted gators sunning themselves on the banks. We spotted about 35-40 gators, one turkey and two deer.

According to my GPS, my boat currently runs 31 mph at WOT with two men and gear. I could easily get 35 with a better prop and less weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fun times Brian! Looks like you saw as many gators as you would have if you had been on alligator alley.

Years ago I went canoeing in the Everglades. It's kind of unnerving when the gators swim under you and bump the bottom of the canoe.

My buddy Mike bought an old POS $900 boat earlier this summer. It's an old 16' bowrider with a 70 Johnson. Well the 70 took a dump on him last week so he replaced it with a 115 Johnson that he had bought off a tree customer last year. He tinkered with it for a week and we took it for a ride yesterday and that little boat HAULS ASS!!! :D It's about the size of my boat with almost twice the power. I didn't bring my gps to get the speed, but I'm guessing it was well over 45 mph. He was concerned about the extra weight and the back end of the boat sitting too low in the water but it wasn't bad. We tried to splash the wake over the stern by stopping quick but the boat stayed dry. It was a successful run. 8)

A friend of mine put some huge motor on a little boat. Apparently the first time he really got on it, it stood up too far and filled itself full of water. Glad I wasn't around for that one.

Back