On The Water

The tomalley is the soft, green substance found in the body cavity of the lobster. It functions as the liver and pancreas, and much like the liver of other animals, the lobster's tomalley is the natural filter for contaminants. Test results have shown that the tomalley can accumulate contaminants found in the environment. Although not widely consumed, tomalley is considered by some to be a delicacy.

from - http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2008/2008_70-eng.php

chew wisely

Last edited:
Today is the start of Mini Lobster Season, a 2 day event that brings alot of folks down into the keys looking for lobster. I am going to get payroll in, then John and I are heading out to look for bugs, as we call them. It is going to be a zoo on the water!

So did pirates keelhaul ya'll whore whut??? :what:

Yea, did you get any lobster? I know they swim very fast so ya gotta sneak up on 'em

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We did not get one lobster. :whine: We covered 43 miles, dove on lots of holes, they were just all short.

Working an evening shift tonight then headed down to my parent's place. Dad and I are goin' fishin' in the mornin'... I'll make sure I bring the camera...

See you guys in a couple of days... :)

Gary

We won't be getting on the water this weekend. The boat is in the shop with a blown power head. Lucky for us, it is still under warranty. Warranty is up in December.

Man I wanna parasail someday!!!

I was thinking the same thing until this. Happened a few years after we moved here from Ohio. The captain of the boat just happens to be the 50+ national champion road cyclist...

Article taken from a blog. Tried looking for the original news story but couldn't find it...

Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 2:35:01 AM by Cincinatus' Wife

MADEIRA BEACH - As they craned their necks upward, a small group of tourists noticed something was wrong with the two teenage girls parasailing together Thursday afternoon. The girls were drifting 200 to 250 feet in the air - not over the Gulf of Mexico as they should have been, but over the beach. And they were headed inland. Then the same group, made up mainly of Midwesterners, noticed the line that had connected the pair to a boat was dragging along the surface of the Gulf.

It had snapped.

Some heard the girls scream.

Jon Shoemaker, a 34-year- old husband and father from Ohio who works for a pharmaceutical company, dove into the water to grab the 5/16-inch Kevlar line.

So did Mark Wiltz, 38, a salesman from Ada, Mich., also vacationing with his family.

Drew Corell, 34, a sales manager from Grand Rapids, Mich., grabbed the 11,700- pound-test line, too. So did Corell's brother-in-law, Rick Otte, 37, a high school teacher, also from Grand Rapids. One other man might have, also, the men said.

But try as they might, they said, they realized - in waist- deep water - that alone they would not be able to keep the pair of Atlanta 16-year-olds from drifting away.

The wind was too strong. The line was slipping through their hands, searing their palms, and they were being dragged. One wondered aloud whether the end of the line was about to slip through their hands, too.

That's when it happened, witnesses said: Beachgoers got up off their towels or beach chairs or started pouring out of nearby hotels and condominiums. They went to the line, too, jumping up to grab the part ascending into the sky or pushing down on the stretches of rope closer to the men in the water.

Eventually, anywhere from 50 to 100 people were either pulling down on the rope or making sure children weren't getting trampled in the tug-of- war, witnesses said.

The rescuers finally pulled the girls to safety.

One of the girls was praying as her feet gently touched the sand behind Madeira Norte, a condominium at 13000 Gulf Blvd.; the other was crying, witnesses said. Everyone burst into applause.

The girls were identified by authorities as Chelsea Elizabeth Waddell and Theresa Marie Blanford.

``The rope just snapped and we just kind of whiplashed,'' Waddell told freelance photojournalist Eamon Kneeshaw. ``We were on top of a bunch of buildings and streets and roads. It was really freaky.'' Blanford said they were ``really scared.''

They should have been. In 1990, George E. Myers, 28, of New York City died in a parasailing accident on Sand Key in Clearwater during which he was slammed into a seawall, construction equipment and parked cars. In 2001, a Kentucky woman and her teenage daughter fell 250 feet to their deaths at Fort Myers Beach when their seating harness broke.

The Coast Guard is investigating Thursday's incident.

The two Atlanta girls were customers of Get Wet Parasail, one of a handful of parasailing operations along the boardwalk at Johns Pass, which connects the Intracoastal Waterway and the Gulf.

Mark Yeager, manager of Get Wet, said the wind had dwindled to nearly nothing Thursday, so it was decided that a larger chute should be used. The girls were kept aloft by such a chute when the wind picked up dramatically, Yeager said. The line immediately snapped taut, and the girls were being pulled ashore by the wind, Yeager said.

The captain of the boat to which the girls were attached decided to turn around and head toward shore in a maneuver designed to help slacken the rope, but then the line snapped, Yeager said.

We got out on the water yesterday, hired a guide. What a day, John snorkled 2 different "blue holes", shot 2 lobster (hahahaha, yes you can shoot them in the Bahama's), a grouper and I caught a yellow tail on hook and line. From there, we went to a deserted island and cooked the catch and feasted!

Attachments

• DSCN4169.JPG
    DSCN4169.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN4170.JPG
    DSCN4170.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN4171.JPG
    DSCN4171.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN4173-1.JPG
    DSCN4173-1.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN4175-1.JPG
    DSCN4175-1.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 52
In the second to last shot, you can see a band from Gustav. Here are a couple more shots.

Attachments

• DSCN4176.JPG
    DSCN4176.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN4177.JPG
    DSCN4177.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 52
Gigi, what did you have to eat on that island? I remember you posting you didn't like fish, so...Bring your own provisions?

And by the way, that island looks good from where I am, think I'll go down there and build a shack and live there. :)

We took some mac and cheese from a local restuarant, the guide sent a fruit salad and guava jelly sammiches!

Back