Odd piece of new gear

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
At first, I was kinda liking it until I saw the hinge and realized that it swung out when being used.

If it was hingeless and sat flush against the tree, I might be able to get behind it. 73150390_10214397859491562_4373044196508958720_n.jpg 73475214_10214397861011600_614076565508063232_n.jpg 75543670_10214397859931573_6157167503823863808_n.jpg

I think I see how it works... putting a lot of faith in that hinge if I’m understanding it.
I’d like to see it setup and used.

It's only 2 wraps, at a very small radius. Overthought with no experience, so likely designed by an engineer :lol:

I have one. It works fine and I cant imagine it failing. But it is much more bulky than a portawrap and doesnt have the capabilities of the GRCS. Good concept but not really something that I use for the above stated reasons.

It was designed by a real deal tree worker.

Cool idea !

I think the concept is sound enough but what I would like to see is a slightly different anchor design.

-Keep the plate but loose the teeth & toothy hinge section.

-Instead of strapping it to attach to tree, build the plate to accept a shackle and attach it to the base of tree with a woopy sling or other bull rope type configuration. Or simply weld on a "U" shape piece of metal bar to the plate similar to a Port-A-Wrap as it's attachment point.

-Weld on two arms or outrigger type bars to ensure proper orientate it to the tree, ...(Only If Needed).

With these changes, it will reduce damage to the trees bark by using rope & not metal teeth.

Plus easier to install because the anchor rope will be attached before the plate is shackled to the rope anchor.

Just my .02

Looks like someone tried to reinvent the wheel/port-a-wrap and I don’t even know what I’m talking about...

I kinda like the idea but the hinge is a deal breaker for me. But I doubt that I'll give up the porty or GRCS.

I much prefer a bollard device strapped to the tree over a sling and porty. My homemade one kicks ass. The ones from Stein or TreeHog look good though.

Hey Frankie, I quite like that Yasaki sushi tree climbing thingy...add a proper harness and flipline and it would be da bomb for coconut palms

I imagine it could work nicely in the right application for sure ... how tall do coconut palms get out your way ?

i would think on hard loading the bottom strap would be a hinge effect;
top pull force input to pinch to tree
More grip; but then more tree damage with teeth at top, pinching into tree with force from hinge pivot strap.
Perhaps viewed some by design with teeth on loaded side or anticipation of taper where top teeth might not hit firmly at all input rope angles to top
Unit is bound by one point to base of plate
>>i always think for plate should be bound wide and 2nd binding at top, perhaps teeth as a backup
Should be 2 strap, pivot and hold rather than 1 strap pivot, pinch hold as Hobby Climber states tho i think.
>>Seems have to thread and not wrap
>>commits to 4 half arc reductions
>>like pre-tighten anything like this and doesn't seem to lend that way.
>>hinge looks like Achilles's Heel, and doesn't add much desired functionality?
i'd go with old 5 gallon bucket holding rope, pre-tighten jig(s), T shaped Porty with eye i put on end for pre-tighten straight into nose of Porty
(found base end of Porty with ring was threaded so threaded and nutted eye thru hollow Porty)
Used a 3/1 or 5/1 pre tighten >>guys trained in using 3x as 4x and 5x as 8x pulley rig for final tightening after faster tightening at 3x or5x rig gearing
>>Small stuff for this, 200# man standing on ground doesn't need a 7k lifeline thru 5k pulleys to pre-tighten as usually sold/pictured
Typically had maybe 1000# test or less hardware store gear here for small, light, speed, economy for short pre-tightens into Porty only.
>>Never broke and if did, man is standing on ground anyway pre-tightening for working, not working thru felling in real time where would have stronger gear..

What is the purpose of the hinge, anyway? Seems like it would work just as well or better without it, as long as there is a redirect to keep the rope in line. And definitely two straps to minimize the twisting effect.

It’s gotta be so it follows you around and stays parallel to the rope coming off. Most mounted bollard type devices use pigtails, open hooks, or just rods through the drum to fair lead or keep wraps from yanking off of it, because we stand perpendicular to the device. If it didn’t have the hinge it’d only keep the wraps if we stayed to one side of it.
I wish I could explain it better. The plate with the little bollards, when using it you’d be looking at the side edge of it whether you’re standing 90 degrees to the mounting or 45 or 135 degrees. If it swings far enough anyways.

As you say, the hinge could go away if they used something to direct the rope out so it can’t inadvertently lose a wrap.

And that’s only my guess, I’ve never used one or seen one used, but makes sense sort of.

If the hinge is beefy enough to catch moderate dynamic loads, and they lose all the sharp teeth and put some rubber guarding to protect the tree, I’d be interested in trying it or buying if the price was right and I was in the market for one.
I like the looks of this one from TreeHog UK. I actually like the looks of a lot of gear from them.
11A2C45D-E4EE-43B9-A9EC-4729A342077E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s gotta be so it follows you around and stays parallel to the rope coming off. Most mounted bollard type devices use pigtails, open hooks, or just rods through the drum to fair lead or keep wraps from yanking off of it, because we stand perpendicular to the device. If it didn’t have the hinge it’d only keep the wraps if we stayed to one side of it.
I wish I could explain it better. The plate with the little bollards, when using it you’d be looking at the side edge of it whether you’re standing 90 degrees to the mounting or 45 or 135 degrees. If it swings far enough anyways.
I think like you.
An other good point is the S path of the rope avoiding the twisting of the rope seen on the round devices.
If you need more friction than two turns (global equivalent), you can make one or two 8 paths instead of the S.
The diameter of the mini bollards is a little too small though.

Along the same line with the multi bollards is this but attaches via rope sling like normal porty. Looks interesting...

FC146CA0-4FEB-48A3-83DC-5187ED36D3A8.jpeg E1D7833E-E704-4005-A458-D709C1F03DF5.jpeg FEAE8EE0-900D-43A2-8DBD-8FE67ED89908.jpeg

^^^Is that cool? I guess by extension, is twisting the rope especially bad? The portawrap(which I've yet to use) has an elegant simplicity. Are the drawbacks related to turning a rope around a single post worth the complications of more exotic solutions?

Back