October Redwood Visit?

treebogan

Treehouser
I was wondering if anyone who lives or has lived near the Redwoods could give me some advice on where to go and what to see in the Redwood Forest.

My Girlfreind and I are coming over in October for about ten days.I have visited there before but didn't do any hiking,just saw the "Amazing Drive Through Tree" etc.

We will be driving up from San Fran,and would like to do some day hikes and I would like to see some Logging Museums and maybe shoot some Hippies if the season is open.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Mike,
Check out this link:

http://www.redwoodhikes.com/

I'll be out there real soon; leaving this Thursday.

Oh, and the recreational tree climbing rendezvous is going to be held in California this year and it is in October. I'll try to remember to let you know specifics when I get them.

Make sure to stay a night or two at the Redwood River Resort.
Rockefeller Grove is nice, a veritable wall of wood. Actually that pretty much goes for the whole Bull creek area.

If you want to experience the more wet type of Redwood forest, go up to Prairie Creek redwoods, and while there make sure to hike through Fern canyon.

On the way up there, stop in Arcata or Trinidad, Hippies are in season there year round.

I think hippies are on the endangered species list.

No.

Fly into San Francisco or Oakland for the best rates and rent a car. Head North on 101 stopping at interesting groves along the way. I will second fern canyon out of Orick, worth the trip

i agree with stig totally
heres a few more ideas
stop in scotia and see the fish hatchery, and the logging museum and steam donkeys
go to samoa cook house in samoa ca, eat and check out the museum there,
eureka has the old fort humboldt, and old logging railroad cars, and old bunkhouses
from eureka south you can hike the head waters reserve into fortuna, you'll pass into falk, an old abandoned logging town, but i believe they built a museum there
patricks' point, and fern canyon are worth it, i lost time there for over a week once, and the scenic hwy around klamath...is sweet, all the way to crescent city, take 199 over to willy, the scenery thru grants pass is nice as well

feel free to call, if ya need anything
we are under 5 mins from scotia, in rio dell ca

you are in for a treat, especially if the caa is doing their climb at redwoods river resort.... enjoy
like mr b says it's gods country....might as well go to ft bragg for a night and see the big guy and his wife

october is dope harvest season, so stay on the park system trails, obey all signs...and watch out there are clandestine trimming camps out in the woods and parks

if ya like ganja its the right time to travel, if not....it may be hard to find hippies, they'll be busy with scissors someplace
go to arcata plaza...there's always dirt bags over there, not true hippies, just dirt bag travelers trying to look like hippies

Avenue of the Giants is a must. The entire Bull Creek area, including Rockefeller Grove is a good choice. My favorite is Prairie Creek Redwoods and all it's hiking trails. Jer and I have covered the whole area, more than once. North of Prairie Creek east of Crescent City is Howland Hill Rd that follows Mill Creek. An old logging road open to the public. A beautiful drive. Especially if ou get out of the car and hike the trails, which most people don't.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thankyou all for the Replies.Its nice to gain some background on the area.I'm not a Pot smoker myself.We will plan a route using the suggestions posted here,its great to hear of places to eat....mmmm...food.

Don't miss Arcata. It is a neat town, as most college/university towns are.
Lots of bright young minds have an impact on their surroundings.
It is the place I'd live if I was free to choose.

I'll be teaching karate there 1½ weeks from now:)

And BTW I second Terri's post, the avenue of the giants is a MUST.
When I first moved up there it was the only way south, LOTS of logging trucks and drifts of bark along the road. Now they have bypassed it with a highway, so there is not a lot of traffic on it.
Gives you a chance to go slow and enjoy the trees that are growing right next to it, sometimes close enough to bulge over the blacktop.

I've hitchhiked that way countless times and 2 years ago, I finally got to drive it in an open sports car.

Very much to be recommended:)

Avenue of the Giants is a must. The entire Bull Creek area, including Rockefeller Grove is a good choice. My favorite is Prairie Creek Redwoods and all it's hiking trails. Jer and I have covered the whole area, more than once. North of Prairie Creek east of Crescent City is Howland Hill Rd that follows Mill Creek. An old logging road open to the public.

As soon as I saw "Jer" it was apparent who "Mrs. B" must be. :)

Over the past 2 years, Prairie Creek has become my favorite redwood park of the northern Parks. The 1st photo posted below from that park may lead to me making it down to your Ft. Bragg area.

The photo just won 3rd place in the Save the Redwoods 2011 photo contest, one of over 500 images submitted. The 3rd place prize are tickets for the Skunk Train.

@ the OP ... the best for my taste, is Avenue of the Giants and northward. Included below are a few extra photo from the north redwood parks.

James_Irvine_800.jpg

Redwood_Photography_600D.jpg

Redwood_Growth.jpg

SC_TT_Thumb_LBox.jpg

Redwood_Photography_600H.jpg

Redwood_64.jpg

That is a real pretty picture. It's not wonder that it placed. Some months ago Terri "Mrs. B" mentioned something to me about that photo contest. But I was too busy at the time to make any submissions. Maybe next time.

Mario-your photo is worthy of 1st place in my opinion! It's gorgeous. I thought about entering that photo contest but the prizes just didn't interest me. I think the big prize was a guided tour through the redwoods? How much more guided than being with GFB can I get?? And living in Fort Bragg for 40 years, I have ridden the Skunk Train enough times.
Let us know when you will be in town for the train ride. And your photos are beautiful!

Mario-your photo is worthy of 1st place in my opinion! It's gorgeous. I thought about entering that photo contest but the prizes just didn't interest me.

Thanks.

If you enter next year ... if they have it again ... for the fun of it, I'll share a couple of tips if you get selected for the voting. In the voting stage, getting word out within your sphere of influence is a small part of it.

My daughter went hiking with me last time down, at Jed Smith and Prairie Creek. I took a photo of her at the end of Mill Creek near Stout Grove and noticed that some reflection looked interesting in the water. So we crossed over the Smith River where the water was more still and tinkered with some shots on that side, where the big boulder sits.

I'm interested in possibly trying similar shots along smooth surface stretches of Redwood Creek, upstream or downstream from Tall Trees Grove.

Redwood_Photography_600F.jpg

Thanks.

If you enter next year ... if they have it again ... for the fun of it, I'll share a couple of tips if you get selected for the voting. In the voting stage, getting word out within your sphere of influence is a small part of it

That might be a good thing to do before going to print with the new book. Can't hurt anyway.

Don't know much about photo contests per say, but start entering creative competitions and it can be perplexing. Subjectivity rules the day, and for every winner there is a loser that might have put in an equal or greater amount of effort. I wouldn't think that it much fits GB's style. Just my opinion.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does anyone know a large sporting goods store on the Pacific Coast?There is no Cabela's in Californa and I would like to pick up a few things,like 25lb of lead Shot for example.Are you allowed to use Lead when shooting Hippies or is it Steel only?

ok localy.....englund marine in eureka.........prolly has it, followed by most ace hardware's , sport and cycle, bucksport (hunting), pro sport center....no big shops here, but englund marine has damn near everything..good luck, oh and the dirty hippies are pouring in, it's weed trimming time soon, you wouldnt believe how many dirty smelly travelers are passing thru looking to trim...please take a few with you theres too many here, let the season open

Back